Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    All the trucks I've owned got stand alone trans coolers for that very reason (if they weren't that way stock).

Will, that's interesting about the Subi's. As I said earlier, it's atypical for an oil/coolant pressure passages to be separated.
    I had just bought a trans cooler too...oof

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Coolant in the trans fluid is a definitive diagnosis for ruptured radiator end tank trans fluid cooler... nothing else it could be. Fortunately that explains the oil in your coolant as well.

Subarus with head gasket problems will warn by showing a film of oil at the coolant fill on the radiator before coolant in the oil is evident. However, they're OHC engines and have pressurized oil passing through the head gasket. The Jeep 4.0 is not OHC and does not have pressurized oil through the head gasket.
    Yeah doing some more research, that is the only place the two could have mixed. Now to see if I can flush the system enough to not have ill affects. The Factory Service Manual mentions that the torque converter maybe too far gone and to just replace it...oof.
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Most cars have the trans cooler mixed into the main radiator. Sucks man, but should be a relative easy fix.
      I do things.

Comment

Expect to do 2-3 transmission fluid/filter changes... If the trans will recover, that should do it. If it doesn't recover, have fun!

Comment

Yeah, getting all that shit out of the torque converter is going to be a pain.

IDK if those jeeps have a drainer for the TC. If it does, you're lucky.

If it doesn't, you might be better off taking it out and draining it.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

You won't be able to drain it all out of the torque converter no matter what. Torque converters just don't drain all their oil. I've heard some have drain plugs, but I've never seen one.

That's why I said 2-3 trans oil changes... Change the oil and you'll replace all the oil except the bit in the torque converter. As you run the car, the new oil will mix with and dilute the contaminated oil in the torque converter. It all becomes contaminated, but less so. Then you drain again and re-fill with new oil. The remnant in the torque converter is probably diluted enough at that point that it'll be fine.

Comment

what i do is take the oil cooler line off and run it for acouple seconds and keep filling until new oil starts to come out the line.

Comment

Old mercs have the TC drainers

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thanks yall for the assist on this one!

Quick question. My thought is to replace the radiator, then start to flush the coolant system and the tranny fluid after installing the new radiator. I hate to put the gunk through the new radiator but dont know of a way to do it without them mixing again.

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                  what i do is take the oil cooler line off and run it for acouple seconds and keep filling until new oil starts to come out the line.
                  I saw a guy disconnect the return line to the tranny, at the tranny. Then he filled a 5 gallon bucket and drained and filled, drained and filled. I'm gonna try this tomorrow.

1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd
                  g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

The post flagging/approval thing since the update is getting annoying. :( Seems like editing posts triggers it.

Just as a test, edited this post multiple times, no flag lol.
                    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-14-2019, 10:43 AM.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Whenever I put a link in a post, it goes for approval.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                        Old mercs have the TC drainers
                        That's why I've never seen one, then. Figures that Benz would have them. Das Beste oder Nichts.

Comment

I think longer posts can get flagged, and ironically I went in and had ~10+ posts that were awaiting approval and it seemed like half of them were both of yours! haha They are approved now BTW
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Got a 2001 SLK 320 manual w/ 60k on the clock here at the shop. Its mint and he's selling..

If I work out a deal with this guy, I'm going to have more mercs than BMWs

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              Got a 2001 SLK 320 manual w/ 60k on the clock here at the shop. Its mint and he's selling..

If I work out a deal with this guy, I'm going to have more mercs than BMWs
                              WTF man, sell those cars and build E30
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

WTF man, sell those cars and build E30
                                I'm content where my e30 is at right now. Runs great, everything works and I'm enjoying ripping on it.

If I wanted to build it up a bit, I'm going to full send the drive train, but I really need a nice daily to drive around if I'm going to commit to some serious downtime.

My beater truck is the exact opposite of presentable, my dad pretty much took my C class and my 500 SL needs a bit of work, but I'm too busy with other peoples cars to get to that..

I'm seriously bummed out about my vert tho... the guy who painted it for me really dicked me over on that one... It was a beautiful car for a little bit... new top, new interior, rebuild m20, respray-- the works... but now the paint is pealing off of it.. it was/is huge let down.

If I put my IS under the knife, def going ITB and a longer stroke CS. But as we all know, that costs a lot of money and takes a lot of work, especially if I'm going ITBs too.

Plus, I've been in an e30 since I got my licences in 08, so it's nice to shake it up a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X