No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love my Wildpeaks. Especially on road with snow.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Who else is experiencing the supply chain squeeze right now? Every milestone date is being missed with the wagon build, part after part is out of stock, I can't wait to see how much pipe is going to cost for the exhaust system.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Who else is experiencing the supply chain squeeze right now? Every milestone date is being missed with the wagon build, part after part is out of stock, I can't wait to see how much pipe is going to cost for the exhaust system.
        It's rough, all sorts of substitutions all across the board have been a must.

Comment

Same. My turbo took a month and a half because full race was out of turbine housings, I couldn't get the pistons I wanted with a coating, I had to buy IE's rods instead of Molnar or PPF, IE didn't have ARP rod bolts so I had to buy them from Brian Crower for 30% more than the cost IE apparently pays for them. Tip for anyone with an upcoming purchase for your projects; if it's in stock buy it now so when it goes out of stock you don't have to wait a few months.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            I've had to order stuff from other vendors because some things were out of stock.
            Other than that, many things have been very slow to ship. I'm talking about items that are in stock, taking a month or more just to get a shipping notification.
            CompanyX's Air filter for the mini, took like a month to ship, but then a separate order of wheels shipped from the same company in a few hours.
            CompanyY's order on christmas still hasn't shipped, but there's nothing new there (first time I've had an issue, but plenty of others have expressed issues)
            CompanyZ took a month and a half, provided a dead order details link (although I didn't order it while logged in so it could be related to that), and didn't respond to 2 emails and the "contact us" form on their website.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I ordered the 'S' model swaybar for my i3 from blunttech on 1/31. I generally ask for tracking just to keep an eye on parts deliveries. We have lazy delivery people who dont want to drop packages at my door, but would rather leave them at the gate...

Anyways, this was the reply I got; "[They] didn't mention it having to come from Germany, that's about as much as I know.

BMW warehouses are really badly shortstaffed, they don't provide tracking info, and the supply chain continues to be pretty overburdened. I am really not trying to be all doom and gloom - it could be today, could be another two weeks. Parts in the US are taking anywhere from 10 to 30 days, from Germany, 3 to 6 weeks. Covid, raw materials shortages, staff shortages, etc."

So who knows when my swaybar will arrive. Until then, no canyon runs & no autocross with the i3 lol
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah, I'm noticing it too.

My warehouses are out of a lot of stuff with no date in sight for restocking.

Mercedes and BMW often tell me parts are close to two months out....

One of my clients has a Ranger Rover. He busted a window regulator. The dealer told me I can order it it and it might show up in 6 weeks.. Customer has a window down until the part shows up.. Shitty
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                  Customer has a window down until the part shows up.. Shitty
                  Good thing we live in Southern California and dont have a harsh winter to deal with lol

Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Good thing we live in Southern California and dont have a harsh winter to deal with lol
                    True, but his luck sucks and it happened before we got all that rain lol.. He was trying to leave it parked here at the shop since his garage was getting renovations. RIP

Comment

True, but his luck sucks and it happened before we got all that rain lol.. He was trying to leave it parked here at the shop since his garage was getting renovations. RIP
                      Is the owner not capable of cutting 1-2 pieces of wood or installing a self tapping screw? Yeesh.

Also, no good aftermarket for former JLR models? I mean, the parts trade should move inventory pretty well on quite a few of those.

Comment

Busted window regulator, leave the window open for a few weeks? lolno. I'd be opening that thing up, getting the window to the closed position, and jamming the regulator in some manner until I could find the parts.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Is the owner not capable of cutting 1-2 pieces of wood or installing a self tapping screw? Yeesh.

Also, no good aftermarket for former JLR models? I mean, the parts trade should move inventory pretty well on quite a few of those.
                          No, unfortunately not capable.. The car is a 2019, but that doesn't mean much since the support for those companies is weak across all the years...

The dealer quoted him 4 hours of labor @ 220 an hour along with the 500 dollar regulator.

Different topic;

Really enjoying the E39 life again.. Such a great car.. even the slow af 525i.

Comment

No, unfortunately not capable.. The car is a 2019, but that doesn't mean much since the support for those companies is weak across all the years...

The dealer quoted him 4 hours of labor @ 220 an hour along with the 500 dollar regulator.

Different topic;

Really enjoying the E39 life again.. Such a great car.. even the slow af 525i.
                            Wow, it must have failed just out of warranty.

Of all of the cars I've ever driven I do think an E39 530i sport was my favorite. OTOH having it may have caused the long term E30 to fall by the wayside.

I feel strongly that the 530 is a superior car to the 540, or for that matter, the M5, if for no other reason than the steering feel.

Enjoy your E39, even if it's slowish.

Comment

I imagine a 530i is just powerful enough to not be frustratingly slow, at ~3,500lbs and 228hp, and it's definitely nice to have a rack instead of a steering box. I don't find the steering in my E34 bad though, it's definitely insulated compared to my poly bushed, Z3 racked E30 but it's also a big comfy car not a 2,800lb toy. The 525s are super slow cars but my 260,000mi automatic wagon spanked my buddy's crosstrek which put the slow into perspective. Getting an E39 would have my search a lot easier, and it was easy to find decent E39 wagons vs finding E34 wagons, but I just didn't want to deal with relocating the ABS (it's right where a big turbo needs space to live ) and getting the more modern electronics to work seamlessly with standalone EMS and a transmission swap.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

Wow, it must have failed just out of warranty.

Of all of the cars I've ever driven I do think an E39 530i sport was my favorite. OTOH having it may have caused the long term E30 to fall by the wayside.

I feel strongly that the 530 is a superior car to the 540, or for that matter, the M5, if for no other reason than the steering feel.

Enjoy your E39, even if it's slowish.
                                Get this, he said that was window 3/4 LOL

Yeah same, I really miss my 530i sport and I also agree that the M54B30 is the best engine for it. It's not fast but that car definitely doesn't feel underpowered with that engine one bit.

The DISA systems really helped those M54s make that power real low in the RPM band, especially the b30. The b25 doesn't feel sluggish to me. I know it's slow, but the low end torque makes it scoot around just fine around town and even on the highway.

I have to say say though, the 5spd might make up for the -.5L. It's a lot of fun to drive, sometimes awkward with the manual since the car is so smooth, but in the right ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X