No announcement yet.

Calling the Mini guys, pre-purchase analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread from the dead! Thought I'd let everyone know who gave input thank you again, you guys did help in the buying process of the car. My brother has been taking care of it, I think... I'm 5 hours away so I can't keep an eye on him, but several weekends ago him and our dad installed an Alta 19% percent reduction supercharger pulley and he is loving it! Though not my choice, he decided to do these wheels (http://www.nlmotoring.com/Avid-1-AV-...15804c15gd.htm not the site purchased from, just a visual and description of wheels) and he should be relieving them later this week. I have convinced him that unless he falls in love with the wheels on the car, don't buy tires haha. Also he is looking into going lower, but also wants to use track abilities, therefor he is looking into Coilovers for the future (maybe several months from now). Right now his plan is to do a one ball swap (I'm trying to convince him to go straight pipe;D ), cold air intake, and keeping on the maintenance track. Something interesting though, after only speaking with him briefly yesterday he told to my surprise that the car is in the dealership until Friday. He is all for the DIY route so I was curious as to why the hell it is in for service, and it turns out that there is a recall on the R53 superchargers...? I haven't read into it or researched the issue but if any of you have an R53 you might want to check it out! He went to his local Mini dealer and with proof of ownership they are going ahead and doing the service for free, despite his pulley modification as well, so for those of you concerned and with an aftermarket pulley don't fret too much! I wish I had pictures to share but I haven't spent much time around the car and he's a shit photographer so until next update!
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

Comment

good to know they finally owned up to that premature supercharger failure. i know lots of people that had to pay for theirs earlier on.

even more surprising is that they honored it with the reduction pulley on it.
      sigpic

Comment

eww not avids...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

We own a mini and it's great fun but make sure there are some shops near by who can work on them. Where I live the nearest dealer is about 2 hours away and there is only one shop who is good at working with them within an hour. I'm not sure if this is the case for your area but I would call around to see whether or not it's convenient.
          BMW tech
          Umass Amherst
          05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
            eww not avids...
            sorry we all cant't afford futuras... #RichGuy :p
            1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
            BMW

Comment

Minis can be fun, I drove a buddy's tweaked JCW Mini once and it was a blast, it was a later turbocharged model, not the early supercharged one. Didn't look like it would be fun to work on when I peeked under the hood. I was really surprised by how damn heavy they are.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
              X