• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice photos Phil!
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Been almost 6 years since I've posted my rig here (1st page). How the flies time..

Thought I'd share an update:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3211_50.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	9959598

Comment

Originally posted by RUFFLZ View Post
        Been almost 6 years since I've posted my rig here (1st page). How the flies time..

Thought I'd share an update:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_3211_50.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.3 KB ID:	9959598
        damn that's rad

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I'll second that, great photos Phil. Dig that tent, just starting to see them post up quite a bit on instagram.

Also - good stuff RUFFLZ. All of you with pickups kinda makes me want the next rig to be one.

----

Update on my sleeping platform can be seen on my instagram:

PART 1 - https://www.instagram.com/p/CHa15u1HXyk/

PART 2 - https://www.instagram.com/p/CHa4jCmH9Y0/

PART 3 - https://www.instagram.com/p/CHa5jWenqBI/

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Been threw a few different cars since my M42 bit the dust and became a storage queen around a decade ago. Snagged a triple locked 80 back in 2016 for a bit under $6k (ver nice, was a steal) that was bone stock with 265k or so, since then:
            • OME lift
            • ARB Short Bus front bumper / 4x4 Labs rear bumper kit / Trail Gear sliders / winch
            • SCS F5s that are now on BFG 37s, was running treadwright 35 MTs before that because my buddy runs TW's on his DD tacoma that's built up and had no issues and my inner cheap ass shines bright with tire purchases
            • 5.29s + a marlin crawler gear that hasn't been installed yet. Still a pig, but the 5.29s did help quite a bit
            • Nitro axles
            • Rebuilt the lockers so they engage consistently
            • New carpet and reupholstered seats
            • Rerouted the exhaust to get the cats up out of the way, pretty stupid design for a Toyota tbh
            • Wrapped the hood because the paint was obliterated
            • Tank in the back to air up
            • Other odds and ends replaced since it has over a quarter million miles
            On the to do list:
            • Prinsu roof rack
            • Storage/platform setup like Devon's
            • Replace the front seats as they are incredibly uncomfortable
            • Have the steering box rebuilt, may upgrade and run the west texas offroad ram assist setup

My dad and I went up to Moab during the Easter Jeep Safari event, had a blast. We did one official group run and then went out and ran Behind the Rocks and Kane Creek on our own the next two days. Talked to a random group of 4 with some built up rigs at the trailhead on both trails and they let us tag along and helped spot, etc. Hamburger Hill on Kane Creek is at borderline shit your pants levels of gnarly right now if you're newer to wheeling. There was a pretty big backup to get to it and we went in blind, so I walked up the trail to the hill and was like oh....this is gonna be some shit. All the other people in the same boat as me who walked up to check it out looked like they'd just seen a ghost lol. Ended up winching the big ledge but made it through the rest. Definitely went well above my comfort zone on the trip and really got to see what the rig is capable of, I'd been out to sedona and in the desert but that was my first legit off roading trip in it with the new gears, etc. These things are some incredibly capable land barges especially when locked.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Nice LC!

Took my 2021 DCLB into Southern Utah with a good friend.

Ended up finding an exquisite campsite that we pinned for a future trip at the end of an 8 mile trail through a wash. Ended up parking my truck 1/4 of the way through, as the trail simply became too tough for my unmodified Tacoma.

Could only make it to the end with 35's, full skids, high clearance front and rear bumpers, and a lift. So I rode shotgun to make it there.

Untitled by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr
              Last edited by MR E30 325is; 07-27-2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Good stuff guys.

I'm considering making my platform a little more permanent / fancy. It works well, but I've removed the 60% 2nd row, and reinstalled the 40% 2nd row (single seat on passenger side). Considering bringing the platform height down and getting a fancy drawer fridge to get the sleeping height lower. I haven't needed to take 4, or even 3 people in the LX... so I figure with having the Civic now - if I truly need to, that's the car to do it in. With removing the 60% 2nd row, gain a ton more space. I like my cheap amazon fridge, but I can get the dometic drawer fridge that fits the same amount (30L) and shave that sleeping height way down. There will always be compromises, but while I'm getting another rack, I don't want or feel the need for another RTT yet, I like the stealth camp abilities in the LX, just would like to improve on the setup some.

Taking some inspiration from Goose Gear Delete panels, my current platform, other Aussie setups.

And even Overland Bound's slick setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iehz1yJAduc

Also considered what is after the LX... but I don't have the money for any of those thoughts to be real right now. Someday perhaps a Rivian? One can dream. For now, LX isn't going anywhere. Good news? I think it's doubled in value.
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

An assemblage of photos from an 8 day trip in Southern Utah

_MG_1739 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_1837 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_1964 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2005 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2142 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2198 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2285 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2291 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2591 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2635 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2680 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2763 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2753 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2788 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2882 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2926 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

_MG_2947 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Comment

well after one of the hardest years of my life in oh so many ways. I went and did a thing last week.....

New by mrsleeve, on Flickr
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      well after one of the hardest years of my life in oh so many ways. I went and did a thing last week.....

Sorry to hear about the past year, but you'll love the LX! Looks like a really clean rig, does it have factory lockers? You'll be amazed and what these land barges can do off-road!

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by !RocknE30! View Post

Sorry to hear about the past year, but you'll love the LX! Looks like a really clean rig, does it have factory lockers? You'll be amazed and what these land barges can do off-road!
                        Thanks for saying that, I will be ok, I am getting there. Oh I am fully aware of what the FZJ80 is capable of, this is not my 1st...... ;)

I love my 80's yeah shes supper clean was a SoCal and SoUT truck its whole life so not a spec of rust anywhere not even hinting at it in any of the normal places. No not a locked truck, my last one was and the only time I ever used the diffs was to exercise them, never even needed them when snow busting trail up in the high country in the spring time, more wanted a clean well kept truck to start with this time, and some how this one was for sale local to me, and for a very reasonable price given the current pricing fiascos. Runs great and whom ever built it (in SoUT) before the guy I got it from did a pretty decent job of it but did cheap out here and there, only recovered the drivers seat pass side needs it, aftermarket head is going to shit already and other small odds and ends but over all its a solid and pretty good place to build on. Seems to have had the H/G done already cooling system seems to be up to spec, lots of newish parts as the tags are still on many of them and toyota ones at that so far I am very excited about it.

Needs a few things, a better rear bumper (its a home brew thats not very solid) so a Labs or Dissent off road will likely be getting ordered, and since there is no caster plates under it, and its so clean I will likely go full on with the suspension upgrades Dobbi 3" taper kit with Adjustable Mono's (since the slinky stuff has become all but unobtanainum) and some Delta front control arms next summer, though as it sits the tags are still on the tried and true OME 851/263 yellow's lift and they ride good. With those big ass 35's ( I am trying to decide if I want to stick with) its going to need a Marlin HD steering kit and prolly set of Nitro 4.88s as shes still on stock gears, and the steering linkages were all but new OEM but 3 end joints were "ok" and one was roached so I haven't got to drive it other than from where I picked it up to my buddies shop. Also will be rebuilding my drawer set up again nearly identical, but with a few upgrades, wired for an inverter (if I want to add one latter) and couple 110v outlets, a removable compact store-able extension from the drawer platform to the back of folded up 2ed row seats for a sleeping platform on the off chance i need to sleep in the thing once in a while, attic rack will be fabbed up this coming week I think, and in the mean time I am just going to enjoy it :)

As she sits waiting on a alignment tomorrow after getting 4 new tierod ends, oil changed, diffs as well, some grease in the birffs and u-joints and basic going though. Prolly take it on a shake down run this weekend before we get too much snow, up over one of the more scenic passes worth about 75miles of back country.

Untitled by mrsleeve, on Flickr
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Nice! Sounds like a solid game plan for it. I had a long r3v hiatus so I am out of the loop on most of the long time members previous projects haha. Always nice finding one with no rust, it looks really clean. Mine was primarily a NM car that was in slightly northern az in a garage for a few years so also little to no rust as well. I went with 5.29s since it wasn't going to be on the highway a whole lot and recently ended up bumping up to 37s, so I'm glad that I settled on the 5.29s. I was on 35s and stock gearing for quite a while and man, talk about a complete pig in that configuration! Post some pics of the run and I'll have to check out your future drawer setup! Something I need to work on but haven't gotten around to yet.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

Originally posted by !RocknE30! View Post
                            Nice! Sounds like a solid game plan for it. I had a long r3v hiatus so I am out of the loop on most of the long time members previous projects haha. Always nice finding one with no rust, it looks really clean. Mine was primarily a NM car that was in slightly northern az in a garage for a few years so also little to no rust as well. I went with 5.29s since it wasn't going to be on the highway a whole lot and recently ended up bumping up to 37s, so I'm glad that I settled on the 5.29s. I was on 35s and stock gearing for quite a while and man, talk about a complete pig in that configuration! Post some pics of the run and I'll have to check out your future drawer setup! Something I need to work on but haven't gotten around to yet.
                            this is my old drawer set up right after I finished it, deck height was only raised 6 1/2 inches as my dog at the time was 31" tall sitting and since there was an attic rack I left him an inch of head room lol as he rode back there all the time it was his area lol....

initial phase of construction

done and completed

William Pitt-

Comment

lol paying my annual visit to r3v to throw up photos of any new yotas I've acquired.

Here's the latest one:
                              1 owner '07 Sport w/ 160k miles
                              Booked a 1-way flight from Seattle to Palm Springs to pick up a couple weeks ago!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2076.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	10035238 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2064.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	10035239
                              Last edited by RUFFLZ; 10-26-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Here a photo dump of some wheeling stuff

DSC_0019 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_9871 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_9804 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_9791 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_9354 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_4092 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_3815 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_3816 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_3764 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr

DSC_3762 by Anthony Gomez, on Flickr
                                Last edited by spike68; 01-20-2022, 09:14 AM.
                                I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X