No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drove that trail, you couldn't slip off anything if you tried. Not really a fair representation of "off roading" but funny nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
      I drove that trail, you couldn't slip off anything if you tried. Not really a fair representation of "off roading" but funny nonetheless.
      Oh I know. And if you went "mudding" or anything else it wouldn't work.

But I've ridden with friends in bone stock Jeeps and stock tires and it's pretty amazing what they will crawl up without needing 10k+ in mods.

For what the VAST majority do, bone stock 4Runner/Wrangler/etc will do just fine.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

Oh I know. And if you went "mudding" or anything else it wouldn't work.

But I've ridden with friends in bone stock Jeeps and stock tires and it's pretty amazing what they will crawl up without needing 10k+ in mods.

For what the VAST majority do, bone stock 4Runner/Wrangler/etc will do just fine.
        I agree but Will and I aren't the vast majority so I'm gonna continue making fun of his street tires. There's more to off-road tires than just BIG TREAD BRO. Sidewalls are thicker to resist punctures etc etc.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I need opinions:

I'm working through the idea of starting my own home inspection business that will hopefully eventually evolve into property management, contracting, and investment. I just moved and sold off all of my vehicles except for my wife's e46, which obviously isn't a construction type vehicle. I don't really need to haul a lot to do home inspections, but having the space for step ladders and small extension ladders as well as tools and a drone is what I'm looking for so heavily leaning toward a Tacoma. Living in an apartment currently, but in a year or two I'll look to buy a house and it will more than likely need some renovations so I'll use the truck for heavier materials at some point.

Thinking Second Gen (2005-2015) here as my budget isn't enough for a new truck. I've done a little research but I'm curious to see which model years you guys think are the best within this range, what to look for and what to stay away from. My hope is to be under $25k, which probably rules out the last couple model years, but from what I'm seeing in my area I should be able to get into a 2013 for around that price, but is that the best year to get compared to any of the others. I know part of the way through they did a huge update and I'd imagine the updated models are better, but I'm not against an older truck if it's going to be more reliable as I need this thing to go forever on routine maintenance.

Offroading would be cool, but there's not a whole lot of that where I am and there isn't too much snow in the winter, so not sure if I should worry about 4wd or if the prerunner will be sufficient. I'm not all that well versed on SR5, Prerunner, TRD, Sport, whatever packages, it seems Toyota has about a dozen possibilities to make it annoying.

Also not sure on 4 vs. 6 cylinders, my inclination would be to go v6 because this is America, but I'm willing to hear arguments for the 2.7l as well.

So what say all of you?

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
            I need opinions:

I'm working through the idea of starting my own home inspection business that will hopefully eventually evolve into property management, contracting, and investment. I just moved and sold off all of my vehicles except for my wife's e46, which obviously isn't a construction type vehicle. I don't really need to haul a lot to do home inspections, but having the space for step ladders and small extension ladders as well as tools and a drone is what I'm looking for so heavily leaning toward a Tacoma. Living in an apartment currently, but in a year or two I'll look to buy a house and it will more than likely need some renovations so I'll use the truck for heavier materials at some point.

Thinking Second Gen (2005-2015) here as my budget isn't enough for a new truck. I've done a little research but I'm curious to see which model years you guys think are the best within this range, what to look for and what to stay away from. My hope is to be under $25k, which probably rules out the last couple model years, but from what I'm seeing in my area I should be able to get into a 2013 for around that price, but is that the best year to get compared to any of the others. I know part of the way through they did a huge update and I'd imagine the updated models are better, but I'm not against an older truck if it's going to be more reliable as I need this thing to go forever on routine maintenance.

Offroading would be cool, but there's not a whole lot of that where I am and there isn't too much snow in the winter, so not sure if I should worry about 4wd or if the prerunner will be sufficient. I'm not all that well versed on SR5, Prerunner, TRD, Sport, whatever packages, it seems Toyota has about a dozen possibilities to make it annoying.

Also not sure on 4 vs. 6 cylinders, my inclination would be to go v6 because this is America, but I'm willing to hear arguments for the 2.7l as well.

So what say all of you?
            With your budget I think you could get yourself into a well sorted Taco.

2nd gen Taco would be a great start. Lots of people use them for construction plus with the way they hold their value it'll probably benefit you once your business grows and you upgrade to something nicer if thats what you want. l'll admit they're limited in comparison to the typical trucks that are used in the construction market, but this is all based on YOUR needs.

If you don't think you'll need a bunch of towing capacity then the Taco is the way to go. If you're certain that you dont think you'll be taking on any more weight other than some ladders then the Taco is probably the way to go as well with some kind of ladder rack.

The other parts you mentioned are offroading, drivetrain, and engine:

- Offroading upgrades - This would be complimentary to your inspection business as you may be entering neighborhoods or properties currently under construction. Not saying that the terrain would be rough enough to require upgraded wheels, tires, and suspension since there are requirements for access on any construction sites, but it would certainly help nonetheless.

- Drivetrain - Idk where you live, but get the 4WD. If you're considering off roading you'll be kicking yourself in the ass the moments you need it.

- Engine - Get the V6. the 4-banger might struggle if you get bigger wheels and tires along with having a few ladders on your rig.
            I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Get a 14 or 15, won't have rust issues on the frames and more kinks worked out being later model year. Definitely get a v6, which won't be a problem if you're shopping for the higher trim models. Ever hear someone with a 4x4 say "I wish I had gotten the 2wd model"? Not often, but you sure do hear it from people who found an excuse NOT to buy the 4x4. If anything simply buy it to have a more desirable truck when it comes times to sell it.

I would probably let the availability of an ideal truck dictate which trim I went with rather than searching for a particular one if there's nothing you "need" to have. Find one for the right price with low mileage and history behind it and don't overthink it.

Comment

My 05 highlander has been nothing but reliable. No major repairs. Car handles well in the snow as well.

Comment

Here's a fuck ton of pics from the Moab we took a week ago

DSC00002 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00005 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00010 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00011 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00015 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00020 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00029 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00038 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00041 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00043 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00045 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00049 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00051 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00056 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00057 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00064 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00067 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00082 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00085 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00088 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00091 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00095 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00102 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00108 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00110 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00113 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00117 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00122 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00123 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00124 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00125 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00127 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00132 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00134 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00135 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00136 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00141 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00156 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00157 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

DSC00160 by Phillip Keefe, on Flickr

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Hell Yes!!
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                      Hell Yes!!
                      bummed you couldn't make it out man... hope all's good

on another note, I got some good dispersed camping spots for the next time you make it out there, if you want them

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post

bummed you couldn't make it out man... hope all's good

on another note, I got some good dispersed camping spots for the next time you make it out there, if you want them
                        Bummed myself, but sometimes life forces the 'play' part to the back of the line.

I appreciate it! I'll keep that in mind. Please keep me in mind if you plan any other trips in the AZ/UT/CO/NM area.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

That overlanding trip has me oohing and awing. Amazing pics! I just bought a 2002 4runner as a replacement to my E30 S54 that just sold on BaT. I can't wait to try my first overland camping experience!

Comment

You guys in the northeast/north have any good tire recos? Looking for an AT-type tire to throw on the 1998 4Runner year-round, with as good a balance between snow traction and noise on dry pavement.
                            I have General Grabber AT2s on it now, but am open to trying something else like the Cooper Discoverer AT3 which i've heard decent things about.
                            1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                            1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                            1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                            My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

At3s are fantastic, and what's on the wife's t4r... But not my 1st choice from the cooper lineup, that being the ST Maxx, only reason the at3 are on her truck is because the Maxxes were not available in the correct size at the time we bought them. Maxxes are a little more expensive though, both wear really well over all.

I have never liked generals, I would also throw a nod at the Bridgestone revo, have ran them on my pickup for the last 12 years (3/4ton GMC) . Or a Goodyear duratrac as they are snow rated for inclmate weather requriing chain up without the need for chains, couple friends of mine run nothing but durtracs though they are the most expensive of all the options
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Nice, that's the kind of info i'm looking for, thanks! Out where I am, the Coopers are the most cost-effective of the bunch, so I'm glad you actually have used them.
                                Does she run them year-round in Montana?
                                1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                                1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                                1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                                My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Working...
                                X