What's your favorite transmission gear?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo
    This is an E30 forum, not a B5 S4 forum. gtfo.




    This is the off topic section, maybe it's YOU who is talking about the wrong vehicle.
    Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 01-31-2016, 03:13 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 15Michaeljoseph
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0
    3rd or 4th, both are pretty exhilarating. 1st and 2nd go by so fast I don't reach full boost.
    Same actually. My diff makes 1st annoyingly short, and 2nd is just... Not fast enough to keep up with traffic. 3rd is a nice high cruise gear, 4th is a good gas mileage gear, and for some reason my 3 -> 4 and 4 -> 3 gear changes are always the smoothest

    Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • ST1G
    replied
    Originally posted by lambo
    This is an E30 forum, not a B5 S4 forum. gtfo.
    Quoted because Audi sux

    Leave a comment:


  • lambo
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0
    3rd or 4th, both are pretty exhilarating. 1st and 2nd go by so fast I don't reach full boost.
    This is an E30 forum, not a B5 S4 forum. gtfo.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cabriolet
    second does 55mph and i wish it was 65 with a 3.73.
    Easy fix, just rev to 7,500rpm :giggle:

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    3rd or 4th, both are pretty exhilarating. 1st and 2nd go by so fast I don't reach full boost.

    Leave a comment:


  • mjimport
    replied
    Originally posted by e30onBBSs
    3rd in the e30 and 2nd in the mini. I like cruising in 3rd in the mini too but 2nd gear pulls are so damn fun in the mini. Torque steer and it gets a bit squirrely around turns, so damn fun!
    This. 3rd for my 318is, but I tend to keep revs low. Must be getting old.

    I tend to have a lot of fun in 3rd in my mini as well, but without the mods, I could see 2nd getting more use.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by ELVA164
    Sightly related, but if I had to choose between a car with a wider-ratio box and a shorter final drive vs. a closer-ratio box and a taller final drive, I'd go for the latter. Any arguments to the contrary?
    Close ratio and tall diff for sure. Close ratio boxes are great because they let you keep it right in the meat of the torque curve.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kevinl
    replied
    2nd for the e30 third can be fun too but you need the motor above 4k

    3rd gear is insane in my 335i with a jb4 and e85 60-100mph is instantaneous im sure 4th is great too but i dont want to go to prison because 4th probably tops out near the speed limiter at 155 or so

    Leave a comment:


  • Das Delfin
    replied
    Originally posted by Bmwdayz
    You actually waste more gas coasting(idling) than cruising with the car in gear. :)
    I like the way you think :up:

    Originally posted by ELVA164
    Sightly related, but if I had to choose between a car with a wider-ratio box and a shorter final drive vs. a closer-ratio box and a taller final drive, I'd go for the latter. Any arguments to the contrary?
    I'll take the former IF I was going for mileage efficiency. And I'd have a 6 speed with 4th gear 1:1 and two overdrives

    In the toyota truck world, a few people have mated two transmissions together instead of a tranny and two low range transfer cases. Ie instead of the option of 5 speeds through one or two 2:71 gear reductions, you can do two first gears in a row. Imagine the torque!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Cabriolet
    replied
    3-4rd gear for 0 to 6000 feet.
    2-3nd for 6000+ feet. most roads around here are 45-55mph at higher elevation

    I've never liked the weird ratios on the g260. first is way too short and second is too tall in comparison or too short for autox. second does 55mph and i wish it was 65 with a 3.73.

    Leave a comment:


  • UlrichFennec
    replied
    Third, because it's great enough for when you're just cruising around in light traffic and even better when you're winding it out on a twisty backroad.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Sightly related, but if I had to choose between a car with a wider-ratio box and a shorter final drive vs. a closer-ratio box and a taller final drive, I'd go for the latter. Any arguments to the contrary?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30onBBSs
    replied
    3rd in the e30 and 2nd in the mini. I like cruising in 3rd in the mini too but 2nd gear pulls are so damn fun in the mini. Torque steer and it gets a bit squirrely around turns, so damn fun!

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    2nd gear. First sucks because don't I get full boost and winding it out in 3rd gear requires a "professional driver on a closed course" disclaimer because I hit the rev limiter at 90mph.

    Leave a comment:

Working...