What's your favorite transmission gear?
Collapse
X
-
-
My race car only gets to second gear. racing it on an oval dirt track is odd. I use first on the green flag start. then a quick shift to second and thats where it stays. up too about 7 or 7300 RPM when I hit the corner, speeds of maybe 100 to 120 km/h. let up just enough and turn, and ease back on the throttle, usually at around 5 thousand RPM and pull down the straightaway to the corner and repeat. I have had it at times when I only lifted cause the cars were too slow in front of me, then just stand on the throttle around the outside of the groove and carry a crap of momentum down the track. It is only a 3/8 mile clay ovalLeave a comment:
-
What's your favorite transmission gear?
LSx/T56. Enough torque to allow for long gears for economy.
I feel sorry for your rod bearings.
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLast edited by HennaE30; 02-01-2016, 08:40 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Summit is a lot of fun, do it! I've been lucky enough to drive there a few times. My sig pic is turn 10. Not sure the straight is long enough for Vmax though...I live in Virginia, and I'm afraid of prison.
I reached about 130-135 when I was still on K03's. Messing around with a beat up Silverado SS, went right around him and I was in a strange mood so I just never lifted. (Early in the morning on my way to work, empty highway besides the two of us, or so I thought.)
Well, somewhere around the 130 mark I looked in my rear view and saw a strangely familiar vehicle way back in the distance. I got a bad feeling and slammed on the brakes, got back down to the speed limit and he flew up so fast I thought he might rear end me.
Followed me for about 5 miles while I went exactly or under the speed limit, then I took my ramp to another highway and he went straight.
Disclaimer: Then I woke up from my dream. ;) I'm fairly confident now that it would just keep pulling to the rev limiter in 6th, but maybe I'm getting old because I have no desire to try it out unless I was on a runway.
But yea, anything past 20 over in VA and it's handcuffs. I just need to take it to a track. My Wife has offered to set me up for a Friday at the Track event at Summit Point for my Birthday. Definitely taking her up on it!Leave a comment:
-
I live in Virginia, and I'm afraid of prison.
I reached about 130-135 when I was still on K03's. Messing around with a beat up Silverado SS, went right around him and I was in a strange mood so I just never lifted. (Early in the morning on my way to work, empty highway besides the two of us, or so I thought.)
Well, somewhere around the 130 mark I looked in my rear view and saw a strangely familiar vehicle way back in the distance. I got a bad feeling and slammed on the brakes, got back down to the speed limit and he flew up so fast I thought he might rear end me.
Followed me for about 5 miles while I went exactly or under the speed limit, then I took my ramp to another highway and he went straight.
Disclaimer: Then I woke up from my dream. ;) I'm fairly confident now that it would just keep pulling to the rev limiter in 6th, but maybe I'm getting old because I have no desire to try it out unless I was on a runway.
But yea, anything past 20 over in VA and it's handcuffs. I just need to take it to a track. My Wife has offered to set me up for a Friday at the Track event at Summit Point for my Birthday. Definitely taking her up on it!Leave a comment:
-
lmao i have friends who drift in first gear when learning, and i always say the same thing "go to second gear, go really fast, and throw the car around and figure it out"
second gear is my true love, atleast with my m20b27 and 3.25 lsd lol.Leave a comment:
-
-
-
Yeah I want a torque monster car that can cruise at like 2-2.5k at 85 lolLeave a comment:
-
On my car it's literally pointless. It's not a mpg related gear, I'm over 3k in 6th at 70mph. 22mpg city or highway, doesn't matter.
I guess if I were trying to reach 160mph it would be good
... But I think I've had it over 100mph once in the time I've owned it.Leave a comment:
-
-
-
It's not the diff, it's the transmission. BMW seems to think it's a good idea to put a gelande gear at the bottom of it's street car gearboxes.
If you have ever driven a close ratio bmw trans with a taller first gear, you know what i'm talking about.Leave a comment:
-
Lambo is extra-snarky in this thread.
Shifts between 3rd and 4th are generally smoother both because they're on the same rail in the gearbox (no moving to the side) and because the ratios are fairly close. Also, those synchros are usually in better shape as a result of those two things.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: