No announcement yet.

Tesla...What does R3V think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the Model 3 is better looking than the i3. Im just wanting something totally different to drive and the whole tech part of the Model 3 is very intriguing. Is Tesla gonna to nickel and dime the customer for options? Hmmm...

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by e30_world View Post
      what do you think other car company's have in the works that will come out by then?!
      This is what I'm more interested in but there's no denying how huge Tesla will continue to be in this particular market. Me personally, for the money and the way Tesla has been run so far, it is an amazing car at an unbelievable price, I think it's $27k after rebates and what not which is an amazing buy. That being said however, I'm still young and dumb with no fucks to give and not thinking about the future so heavily so there's no way I'd consider any electric car for a long time.

TLDR - Model 3 will be huge and Tesla will continue to dominate this market but I don't want anything electric yet.
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

i don't watch the news much so this is the first i have heard of this car. however, at that price point, it does get the wheels spinning in my head.

i wonder how he can make a profit on this car at that price?

fuck the prius!
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

If I remember correctly, wasn't the Model S the car that was paving the way for this? I never did a lot of reading on the matter, but I was under the impression that the Model S sales was going into the development of a every day car.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

If all it ever amounts to is less priuses on the road, I'm all for it.

Personally, i find the 330e to be pretty interesting, it still has the ICE engine and potential for performance increases.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              If I remember correctly, wasn't the Model S the car that was paving the way for this? I never did a lot of reading on the matter, but I was under the impression that the Model S sales was going into the development of a every day car.
              Correct, the roadster sports car financed the model S, and the Model S financed the Model 3. This was Teslas Vision at their launch date before they even sold one car. Impressive to say the least.

I have no idea how the heck they will be profitable, but if you look at Amazon who until recently has reported losses every year but continued to be the best and largest online retailer. I'm sure it doesn't matter. They now have a following that would rival Toyota after just two days... Either way, cool things in store. Now I just hope they don't ban all non electric cars soon!
              F80 M3 Alpine
              E10 Fjord Blue 2002
              E28 Blackish 535i
              E21 Silver 320i
              Disco1 98 4.6
              ~~~~~~
              E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
              E30 325i SOLD
              E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
              E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
              sigpic

Comment

I do see a future that will require special licensing for internal combustion vehicles, and having 55 gallon drums if 93 octane delivered to the house for weekend drives.

Honestly, if this thing has a decent range (again, zero reading on it yet), I might buy one for commuting. If it can do 150 miles, it would pay for itself in fuel costs.
                No E30 Club
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                  I do see a future that will require special licensing for internal combustion vehicles, and having 55 gallon drums if 93 octane delivered to the house for weekend drives.

Honestly, if this thing has a decent range (again, zero reading on it yet), I might buy one for commuting. If it can do 150 miles, it would pay for itself in fuel costs.
                  They are claiming 215 miles! That's pretty cool. And every base model will come standard with auto pilot drive. Meaning the car will allow you to read a book or look for car parts on R3v. This alone is enough for me to "think" about putting down a deposit haha. It's pretty cool, you should check it out. Only think I'm not in love with is the front end not having a grill, and the dash is muh.
                  F80 M3 Alpine
                  E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                  E28 Blackish 535i
                  E21 Silver 320i
                  Disco1 98 4.6
                  ~~~~~~
                  E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                  E30 325i SOLD
                  E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                  E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                  sigpic

Comment

the hype actually says 215+ miles/charge with advanced options having an even better range than that.

i really like the design of the car except for the instrument panel and lack of front grill. imo, those aspects make an otherwise outstanding design look cheap.

here is an interesting article:

Everyone knows that this week Elon Musk will teleport back down to Earth from his orbital platform and present humankind with his latest gift: the Tesla Model 3. Everyone is wondering what this more-affordable Tesla will look like, but I’m more interested in the idea of Teslas that don’t look like anything at all.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                      I think of it as a laptop. There's bound to be some Chinese company who makes their version of the battery that will be compatible. With competition comes lower prices too. I remember when a spare cell phone battery was $60-80. Now you can get them as low as $4 for Lithium Ion. Tesla is already offering battery swaps at some of their recharge stations for those on the go so the batteries can be changed fairly easily. It's only a matter of time before it becomes just like a cell phone.
                      Yea 1 thing that was briefly touched upon on Top Gear, was the environmental impact for areas that mine Lithium, cadmium etc, as far as wildlife water sources, etc. And it's takes 30+ countries to make a car like the Prius. While electric appeals to a lot of people. I rarely see them driven. Im curious to see how manufacturing facilities will stream line production. And if less of an impact of the earth will be seen as an important issue. Or if they just want our $. As far as Tesla has come, they have my attention.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

It's not an e30....? That should answer it right there. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

I agree on the front end. Hoping for an aftermarket solution that has a model S grille. I'm seeing these things everywhere in Atlanta. Think they're here to stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the new Tesla looks amazing. Electric cars are starting to go down in cost and up in range.

They will have to do something like what reelizmpro said with the batteries, or be able to trade up to the newer better battery every time it is released. If you have a car that only goes 200 miles, then the next gen can go 400 or 500 miles, trade in values/vehicle worth of those older battery cars will drop drastically, that is, unless you can swap them out or buy extras for on the go. Or if charging times get so low it doesn't matter.

I think this is the way of the future with cars, and Musk is just at the beginning of a new generation of vehicles. Maybe I'm crazy but my guess is that we will go all electric, self driving, and cloud based cars that speak to each other to keep from wrecking. I think the toughest part will be adding these cars into the general population of cars of today. That, and convincing people that they are not as good of a driver as a machine/computer can be.

Comment

We are literally watching the beginning of the death of our hobby. Once cars can sufficiently drive themselves, it is only a matter of time before the driver is phased out of the equation.

/tinfoilhattime

Anyway, I'm excited. I have said this before, but from a performance standpoint, internal combustion can't hold a candle to high discharge rate batteries and brushless motor technologies. One look at the RC world makes this obvious. Nitro RC cars don't stand a snowballs chance in hell when put up against a modern electric. Even run time has gotten ridiculously long for batteries. Me and a friend constantly laugh about the sad fact that we always break our trucks before the batteries have a chance to run low.

Make a safe lithium polymer battery and it's lights out for IC. Maybe stable is a better word. Regardless, it needs to not violently erupt into a ball of fire when shorted, overheated, overcharged, or drained too low then recharged.
                              No E30 Club

Comment

I think the front end of the 3 is ugly. I love all the other models and was really excited for this one, but I think the design team missed it with this one.
                                My Garage
                                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Working...
                                X