Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    You'll regret it and punch yourself in the dick at 4am every night for the rest of time.
    Hmm, even if I went outside, lit my E30 on fire and watched it burn I wouldn't spend eternity doing that.

Seems as if your hyperbole has become less bloody and somehow larger recently.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Hmm, even if I went outside, lit my E30 on fire and watched it burn I wouldn't spend eternity doing that.

Okay dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
        Hey fam...

every year, over the past couple years I get the itch to let go of my E30.
        It's always around February too, (it's winter here in Ottawa Ontario Canada).

I get the itch to undertake a new project, something I can start searching and hunting for parts and making something "great again"

I've owned my E30 Vert for the better part of 8 years. What started as just "another car to mod" ended up creating the most profound attachment/relationship with a car I've ever had.
        The E30 has class, personality and character.

I feel I like I "grew up" with it too...sounds cheesy as hell, but it's REALLY tough to imagine someone else taking it away.

Car in question is actualy the January COTM Hartge H35 Tribute...it's pretty safe to say it's like the only E30 vert like this in North America, which makes it even tougher to let go.

-->http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=400260

I'd love to take on a new project (I'm looking at Volvo 240 Wagon with LS3) and I don't have the room for 2 "toy" cars.

I'd need to unload the E30 in efforts to fund/make room for the Volvo.

Suffice to say, I think I can't have my cake and eat it too.

All it really takes for me to quickly change my mind is that 1st drive when she gets out of storage and all the pressures and ideas of selling fade away stat.

but for now, I'm basically getting my asking price ($14K Canadian) for it and am ever so close to cutting ties with it.

What about you guys?
        Did you/Have you ever regretted selling that "special" car?
        if you've had one, you know that feeling I'm talking about...

I absolutely regret selling my m tech II cab, but just due to the rarity.
        I think about selling off my M3 every year, between about December and may.

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
        I feel the same about my SV650S. So much fun to ride that the e30 collects dust
        :p
        Are you a smaller sized dude Stan? I only ask because my wife had a sv650s (99) and I rode it a number of times. I found the suspension way under sprung for a guy my size at 200-210lb.
        Originally posted by codyep3
        I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
        2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
        1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
        1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
        2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
        2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
        2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
        2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
        2010 F650gs twin
        2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

i thought it was pretty funny
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I get these same feelings with all my toys/vehicles at some point. The M5 last season I put up for sale for about a day and took it down, thought about selling my Repsol this season, but just can't bring myself to do it. But I'm sure someday I will, I've learned with being a car/bike enthusiast that its unlikely you will hang onto the same vehicle for the rest of your life, not impossible but unlikely, so I try to keep an open mind and weigh the pros and cons of ownership

There are certain vehicles I do regret getting rid of however. My e30 being one, was my winter beater, got it for 500 bux, but it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. Only reason I got rid of it was all the rust, and the motor let go. My R1 being the other, got it in a trade, didn't plan on keeping it, but rode it all summer and fell in love, was my first street bike, sold it to help fund my move from NY to AZ, sad but things worked out pretty good I'd say

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
              Okay dude

Sorry, it was an easily missed avatar change comment. Oh well, I'm off my game, no E30s to drive right now...

Comment

Hard to let go of your E30?...*emotions/feelings inside*

Sorry, it was an easily missed avatar change comment. Oh well, I'm off my game, no E30s to drive right now...

I knew it was, but the whole "hyperbole" thing didn't click with me.

Edit. I have a terrible sense of humor, sometimes I need jokes explained to me lol.

Last edited by MrBurgundy; 02-28-2017, 08:58 PM.
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I dunno how you guys operate, but generally with my cars there are always things that i've been meaning to fix, but never get around to. Then when the decision to sell it happens I fix up all the little things in preparation of selling - fixing squeeks, polishing scratches, fixing oil leaks. Then the problem is in the car is in the best condition its ever been in and you enjoy more than before, and then someone comes to buy it......

I think for me I look back on previous cars with rose tinted glasses. I had a ke70 that i had for 5yrs, 4age conversion, sprayed it myself, all suspension and i basically learnt most of what i know by playing with that car. I sold it when i bought an S15 silvia. At the time and shortly after I regretted selling it, especially since i didn't need the money at the time. But then i went for a drive in a mates simliar ke70 with 4age a few weeks later, and man........heap of junk compared to the s15 silvia. I think some cars you are better off with the good memories than hanging onto the car for years and years.

I wish i could have kept my suzuki sierra, but only because it was grandpas car, he bought it new in 1985. I rebuilt it completely (mechanically) and it was so great to drive grandpas car. Sold that to go travelling. But i do wish i could have kept it. Reality was it was a shocking car to daily drive, but i loved driving it cause it was grandpas old car.

My E30, i dunno i haven't had it long enough to get that attached, only 1 year. I'm attached to the point that it gives me something to do and work on on the weekends, and its a fun car to drive to work and back. I have rebuilt the engine, so learnt alot from that, and i guess i want to get my moneys worth. Could i sell it tomorrow? probably, but it woudlnt take me long before i wanted another project to work on.
                  Last edited by e30davie; 02-28-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I will never understand why people do that with cars, let alone houses.

Comment

I have listed mine for sale several times and have been thinking about it again it needs a headgasket due to oil leak and I really don't want to do major work to the m20 but swaps seems like to much work and cost for what will still be a slow car compared to my fbo 335i

It also bugs the hell out of me that the a/c is so terrible in it even though I have spent a ton of money trying to remedy it

What good is a car in Phoenix with horrid air conditioning

I will probably just keep the thing forever because I'm not gonna get enough to make it worth selling 3-4 grand doesn't go that far
                      Last edited by Kevinl; 02-28-2017, 09:23 PM.
                      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Did you buy a parallel flow condenser and make sure to buy a specific r134 metering valve? They make a metering valve that is said to work with both freons but i can say from experience that it does not. Have you read through jt's diy air conditioning thread. If you dont have the right parts, it doesnt matter how much money you throw at it. I bought the correct parts for my mtech 2 car and i thinf the ac works great in houston. Its perhaps not as good as a modern car, but it gets cold enough that i have to turn it down even in hot summer days.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          Did you buy a parallel flow condenser and make sure to buy a specific r134 metering valve? They make a metering valve that is said to work with both freons but i can say from experience that it does not. Have you read through jt's diy air conditioning thread. If you dont have the right parts, it doesnt matter how much money you throw at it. I bought the correct parts for my mtech 2 car and i thinf the ac works great in houston. Its perhaps not as good as a modern car, but it gets cold enough that i have to turn it down even in hot summer days.
                          Yep I have done all of that
                          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Good talk fellas, thanks for sharing your experiences and stores:)

at this rate, I'm going to keep it on the market, BUT I'm not going to part with it unless I get exactly the price I'm looking at.

further, it'll need to be another enthusiast (mature owner)

I'd kick myself if some kid with a fresh bank loan picked it up and r3v's it a month later while drifting in a walmart parking lot.
                            Originally posted by flyboyx
                            i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

I feel for ya Burns. I started this post many years ago with the same sentiments. Several years ago, I sold my 1st E30 coupe and believe me, it was tough. I wanted to get into other cars and I did, but I still had my cabrio to lean on just incase. So, to your point, buy another E30 and find out how special (or not) your current E30 is to you personally.

Your 1st statement is a major reason why I stay in this chassis...Hey Fam. Im a car guy and hang out with types of owners of other platforms but the owners that have a connection with has been the E30 crowed. I think it goes farther than just owning E30s for 10+ years, its the people(for the most part). Good luck on your decision. You do have a special car.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post

at this rate, I'm going to keep it on the market, BUT I'm not going to part with it unless I get exactly the price I'm looking at.

This has been my position lately and it's still been in the back of my mind to sell it but it's only because I just want to go vintage racing and found a suitable replacement.

A while ago I wanted to sell the E30 and replace it with a 914. Until I drove the 914. That was an easy decision, but the thought to sell never left.

Luckily nobody wants to give me what I want to let it go, so it's stayed with me and after a few track days it's going to be even harder to convince me that another car is better suited.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X