• Show
Clear All

1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
    1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
    1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
    1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Originally posted by Oofie_SD View Post
      bumping this thread. I'd like to start riding bicycles around town, but don't know where to start looking. Anyone can recommend a good bike to cruise around? I'm looking to spend around 400-500 for a good one. Do I look at mountain bikes or 'hybrid' bikes?
      Personally, I feel hybrid bikes are allllmost useless. They don't excel anywhere, except being a nice and comfortable commuter bike. Like, if your mom asked you, "hey Oofie, what kind of bike should I get?" Your response would be, "get a hybrid, cuz you need an upright riding position and are probably going to use it to pop in at the grocery store to buy a wedge of pecorino romano and some fresh basil, then perhaps enjoy a cup of coffee at the local cafe, then come back home."

If your riding will be biased in any one direction over the other (like, if you plan on riding off road often), get the bike for that specialty (a mountain bike). The geometry of a mountain bike is more suitable for "cruising" than a road bike, if you want a nice upright riding position and responsive steering.

I only ride road these days, mostly because the road is right outside my house and the trails aren't.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        I only ride road these days, mostly because the road is right outside my house and the trails aren't.
        I may put this in my sig lol :giggle:

Terd - Do the damn thing. I just got into my new condo in south broadway. I now have a new peugot, trek fixed, lemond fixed, and another trek 400 fixed lol I must have road 30 miles this weekend bar hopping.

Comment

I'll join in

Heres one of two trials bikes ive built. Im way too cheap to buy a trials bike when im really only interested in screwing around on obstacles.

Comment

alright, im really liking the look and simplicity of the "fixed" gear bikes. i just started commuting via bike to work, it's only a 10mile trek, but there are quite a few low grade hills. are "fixed" gear bikes capable climbers?

Comment

Its not the bike thats in question its your legs that are in quesiton.

If you do a nice even in between ratio (most fixed bikes that are not converted) then its no problem. Otherwise you sound like a good candidate for a fixed gear bike.

Comment

and by legs scabzzzz meant knees. :mrgreen:

Comment

fixed bikes can often climb better than their geared counterparts because they are potentially quite a bit lighter. a 10 mile commute should be no problem, i've gone as far as 50mi on my bike, and regularly do 30mi rides, and it's a track bike HAHAHA.

here's some more recent pics of mine, after several hundred miles:

velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them.

still a lot of fun

Comment

Wow, I can't believe how affordable the Windsor is.

Comment

This is what a fixie does for you.
                      tasty

Comment

scabzzzz help find me a bridgestone
                        1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
                        1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
                        1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
                        1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Originally posted by n2motorsports View Post
                          alright, im really liking the look and simplicity of the "fixed" gear bikes. i just started commuting via bike to work, it's only a 10mile trek, but there are quite a few low grade hills. are "fixed" gear bikes capable climbers?
                          If you've never ridden one, find one and borrow it. Even just take it for a ride around the street. You should be able to make up your mind in the first 10 seconds of riding whether or not it's something you would actually do. For most people, it isn't.

Everyone wants to be a cool fixie rider...

As far as hills go, yes, fixies are entirely capable.
                          I ride a fixed track bike with a 50 to 15 ratio and no brakes, to an from uni most days. It is not the most practical hill climb bike, and going downhill with no brakes certainly takes a bit of getting used too..
                          But with a reasonably fit, and more importantly motivated rider, it's certainly achievable.

Take one for a test ride before you go throwing hundreds at one.

If you like it, then you can throw thousands at it :)

Originally posted by s0urce View Post

This is what a fixie does for you.
                          Sweet, I got the top bit down, now just the legs :nice:

R.H.D
                          M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
                            If you've never ridden one, find one and borrow it. Even just take it for a ride around the street. You should be able to make up your mind in the first 10 seconds of riding whether or not it's something you would actually do. For most people, it isn't.

Everyone wants to be a cool fixie rider...

As far as hills go, yes, fixies are entirely capable.
                            I ride a fixed track bike with a 50 to 15 ratio and no brakes, to an from uni most days. It is not the most practical hill climb bike, and going downhill with no brakes certainly takes a bit of getting used too..
                            But with a reasonably fit, and more importantly motivated rider, it's certainly achievable.

Take one for a test ride before you go throwing hundreds at one.

If you like it, then you can throw thousands at it :)
                            good point. anyone in san diego wanna loan me their bike for a hot second?

Comment

Here's me riding :D

I don't want to list all the parks, but it is an FBM Stairmast. I know ride a FIT S3.

Austin Driggers
                              Drop it. Stretch it. Poke it. Roll it.

Stäncé Primo

Comment

didn't read the whole thread but all i see is lame roadbikes!

I like to go off a curb and not have my bike explode on me;)

Comment

Working...
                                X