Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    http://legendsintheirowntime.com/LiT...uito_draft.pdf

Page 23, but the whole thing is worth reading.
    BTW, this is fantastic - really interesting. It's built very much like plywood boat hulls or kayaks - stiff, fair, light. Solid blocks here and there for reinforcement just like a boat. These days they'd make that with West System epoxy resin for all the bonding. It's cool the way the wing is built - a hollow box beam at front and rear, with ribs between and a sandwich skin. That engine cradle essentially cantilevers off the forward wing spar, which seems like it would cause a lot of twist, but then it's balanced with the struts for the landing gear. Then the landing gear loads are transmitted to the steel engine cradle. Clever.

The one my son built was the black nighttime reconnaissance plane I think.

Comment

looks like it was still producing power. i bet the only indication in the cockpit was the N1 vibration gage probably went through the roof.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        looks like it was still producing power. i bet the only indication in the cockpit was the N1 vibration gage probably went through the roof.
        How sucky is it when a passenger has to tell the flight attendant, and then the flight attendant has to tell the captain, that your engine is about to fart out some blades? I assume you have to go back to look?
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Looks like there's more to it than previous incidents involving nose cone separation (http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapport.../a02p0021.html) since you can see what appears to be a glowing bearing. With just the cone removed there's supposed to be a front accessory drive cover over the #1 bearing, for some reason that's gone in this case, it appears to be still attached to the cone bouncing around on the IGVs. With that gone N1 tach went with it so I'm sure the pilots noticed something when N1 dropped to zero and oil quantity started falling.
          Attached Files

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

So is that oil nozzle in the diagram not spraying oil on that center bearing, and it cooked itself?

Comment

Looks that way from the diagram. I don't work on them or design them or anything I just pulled some diagrams so I had an idea of what I was looking at.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

I heard a satisfying rumble just now, walked outside, and a DC-3 passed right over my house, doing some little tail skids. Nice.

Comment

Leaving for Oshkosh on Sunday. I have my photo assignments, and I'm in the process of putting together a photo shoot with a dozen Beech Staggerwings, and at least one Spartan Executive.

Should be a good week.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Have fun at Oshkosh! I love the videos of the ATC work. Amazing how they pack you guys all in.

Comment

Saw Miss Montana the DC-3 fly over this afternoon, headed straight east. Might be where she's headed!

Comment

Yep, they say she's on the flight line in "Vintage parking."

But first, Flathead Lake MT.... 30 miles long
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Flathead Lake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	7201932

Landing in Oshkosh (if this link works..?)
                        7K views, 408 likes, 77 loves, 43 comments, 71 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Miss Montana to Normandy & Beyond: Land with us at Oshkosh! Very happy to be here and be a part of the 2019 Air Venture

So green! Is that a line of little planes on the taxiway?

Name:	Oshkosh air.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	7201933

Not a B-25 on the right I don't think - striped rudders?

Name:	Oshkosh sky.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	7201934

Comment

RFP is out for Canada's Fighter replacement:

The federal government formally submitted requests for proposals (RFP) today to procure fighter jets to replace the decades-old CF-18s.

Still only 88, which is sad to hear. (down from ~138 CF-18s at purchase)

Also goddamn the CBC comments section is cancer
                          Last edited by Northern; 07-23-2019, 10:44 AM.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Holy Crap. Twin Mustang at Oshkosh. I saw a drawing of them when I was a kid, didn't think it was real. Apparently counter rotating engines to boot?

The world's only flying XP-82 Twin Mustang prototype takes off and performs flybys during the Tuesday airshow at EAA AirVenture 2019 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.Fo...

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              Yep, they say she's on the flight line in "Vintage parking."

But first, Flathead Lake MT.... 30 miles long
                              [ATTACH]128226[/ATTACH]

Landing in Oshkosh (if this link works..?)
                              7K views, 408 likes, 77 loves, 43 comments, 71 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Miss Montana to Normandy & Beyond: Land with us at Oshkosh! Very happy to be here and be a part of the 2019 Air Venture

So green! Is that a line of little planes on the taxiway?
                              [ATTACH]128227[/ATTACH]

Not a B-25 on the right I don't think - striped rudders?
                              [ATTACH]128228[/ATTACH]
                              My final photo shoot was with Miss Montana, the EAA Trimotor, and a Short Sherpa, all of which were Missoula Montana smoke jumpers planes. The Trimotor was the first, Miss Montana, second, and the Sherpa. I will share the pics when I have the green light to do so. I think they will be used in an upcoming magazine article.

Yes, that is a line of planes on the taxiway departing from Oshkosh. Its like that every morning.

That is a D18 Twin Beech, there were 3 B25s there, but they were parked to the left of this bird.

Here are a few low res versions of some of my shots.

Enjoy,
                              Will
                              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                              X