Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota Prius

do any of you actually own a Prius?

do any of your close relatives drive a Prius?

i urge you to share your thoughts on the Toyota Prius
    yes, I own a Prius! trees are great!
    1.89%
    I do NOT own a Prius, and I would never own one
    75.47%
    I do not own a Prius, but I have considered it, and I don't mind the car. trees are great!
    22.64%

We Will Rake You

My soon to be brother in law bought one...They are averaging close to 55mpg.....It actually has quite a bit of room....He also has a police intercepter crown vic, and the prius has SO much more rear legroom inside....
    Looks like a roomy interior all around.....Much more room than you would expect....Just don't get into ANY kind of head on collision.....

It aint' cool but nither are the stupid fuel prices.
    sigpic

88 325is

Comment

why do they make hybrid cars so ugly
      NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

My aunt has a 2005 Prius - she swears its "the answer" to saving the world. Hint: she watched Algore's "An Inconvenient Bogus Story" and applauded that someone with significant recognition brought the topic to the attention of the masses. She even thinks all diesels are the work of the devil (including the new low-emission ones from VW and Mercedes). To her, its all about the nitrogen oxides those things spew out and how harmful they are to our health. There's been research papers written detailing how that very claim isn't standing on a iron clad foundation. Click the link for an in-depth read...

Last summer we had about a week-long run of 100+ degree days - very, very common occurance in California during that time of the year. During a family gathering my aunt made a comment to me how it seemed 'unseasonably hot'....as if to imply global warming/climate change from all those cars was to blame. I retorted with it being totally normal and I gave two undisputable scientific facts to prove my point: #1 - we're in the northern hemisphere & #2 - its July :-P

Sorry to go off on a bit of a tangent, but my aunt and I are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum on this subject and we often debate on the topic. As for my own thoughts on the Prius: do I think it is the answer to everyones' transportation needs? Absolutely not. The Prius' strong points are in stop-n-go driving situation where you can creep along from 0-20mph on electric power. For sustained highway cruising, the Prius is a joke. There's a forum called PriusChat on the interwebz which has a number of owners seeing no better than low-to-mid 40s mpg on the highway. And maybe you noticed something in the Prius TV ads within the last year. Since the EPA revised their testing standards to determine a vehicles economy figures, the Prius which was once marketed as having 61 city & 50 highway is now at 48 city & 45 highway. Owners of those 'product-of-the-devil' Mk4 VW TDIs are getting better economy than that!

I would only consider buying a Prius if 90% of my driving involved going slow and I didn't have vast distances to cover - I don't therefore owning one is not in the cards. Believe me, it will be a cold day in hell before you see one of those parked in my driveway (note I didn't say garage - its not worthy of one) :-P

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I would buy a Honda FIT or any other cheap / light 4 cyl car over an expensive prius full of batteries..... anyday of the week.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I hate priuses

if you drive on the freeway, you're better off with a TDI like Jon says.

If you drive in the city, why not go full electric?

Priuses are for smug assholes who think they are doing the enviroment a favor by using the government to subsidize technology that isn't really marketable.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I actually got one in March. I am averaging 54 mpg (including winter). Current tank is at 61.2 mpg. It's pretty badass.

Comment

They are shit, No thanks. I hear maintenance is a total bitch, Especially when the warranty runs out and it comes out of your pocket....

Comment

Originally posted by Chap0223 View Post
                  I actually got one in March. I am averaging 54 mpg (including winter). Current tank is at 61.2 mpg. It's pretty badass.
                  How do you calculate your average MPG? What the computer displays?

Comment

Originally posted by AriasATX View Post
                    They are shit, No thanks. I hear maintenance is a total bitch, Especially when the warranty runs out and it comes out of your pocket....
                    It's consistently been one of consumer report's most reliable cars. Where'd you hear that?

Comment

Originally posted by metalix1021 View Post
                      How do you calculate your average MPG? What the computer displays?
                      Two different ways:

conventionally with miles driven/ gallons filled up, and the computer.

It's actually more accurate to use the computer and follow that trend over time because the prius has an expandable "bladder" gas tank.

Comment

It's consistently been one of consumer report's most reliable cars. Where'd you hear that?
                        From my neighbors, Who got one. Had it for a year, Then took it back and got a TDI cause It was giving them so much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by AriasATX View Post
                          From my neighbors, Who got one. Had it for a year, Then took it back and got a TDI cause It was giving them so much trouble.
                          VWs are shit. They have a plant in Mexico...

Comment

They really aren't that terribly ugly I suppose but I still can't get over the instrument cluster in the center of the dash. Imagine your driving a Z8? lol. Also, doesn't it take a lot of energy (petroleum) to manufacture all those batteries? Unless the price of those things really plummet I can't justify buying one.
                            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

VWs are shit. They have a plant in Mexico...
                              Sweet, I don't like most. Do you want a cookie? The TDI they got is the shit. Gets great fuel economy and isn't ugly as fuck, In fact I would say it look's damn good on the BBS it's sitting on(Lighter than stock to boot!). Also hasn't broken a hundred time's. But it's cool if you like to smell your fart's and drive around in your hybrid.
                              Last edited by Miasma; 06-11-2008, 04:42 PM. Reason: I am retarted apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X