101 Atheist Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACMF74 View Post
    Is it me or is it always the atheists attacking Christians/religions? Growing up in a Catholic home we were taught to be tolerant of others (beliefs/ethnicity) and to respect thy neighbor. it's a shame what this world is becoming.

...and Muslims get a free pass.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by ACMF74 View Post
      Is it me or is it always the atheists attacking Christians/religions? Growing up in a Catholic home we were taught to be tolerant of others (beliefs/ethnicity) and to respect thy neighbor. it's a shame what this world is becoming.
      Did I write any of those quotes? Did anyone else here?

Quit TRYING to find SOMETHING to be OFFENDED about. I saw it and posted it because I liked it.

What a bunch of whiners.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        Reverse that and it sounds a lot like missionaries for centuries.
        Most missionaries I know don't just show up in a foreign country then start bashing and critisizing people to convince them to convert to whatever religion it is they believe in. Many of them provide assistance and education to communities first and preach their religious beliefs second. Though its funny how easy it is for people to negatively critisize something they've never participated in or experienced first hand. Not saying I was ever a missionary but every one I've ever worked with was an all around good person even if I didn't completely agree 100% with their beliefs.

Oh and I do believe in something, me.
        So you believe you are God? I mean, that's fine if thats what you choose to believe but its a bit egotistical, selffish and self centered sounding to say the least. But to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post

So you believe you are God? I mean, that's fine if thats what you choose to believe but its a bit egotistical, selffish and self centered sounding to say the least. But to each their own.
          dont be an idiot.

Comment

Quit TRYING to find SOMETHING to be OFFENDED about. I saw it and posted it because I liked it.

What a bunch of whiners.
            not whining. i just accept it for what it is and expressed my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
              Fact is, if you don't believe in God, stop blaming him for everything that people, who admittedly suck (as you do I'm sure) do. And honestly, you should really ask yourself what you have against everyone that claims to have Faith in God. Because when you demean everyone that has faith, you include Mark here, who as nearly everyone can admit, is a stand up dude that rarely if ever gets in anyones face. You don't like me, that's totally fine. I don't really want to be the A+ #1 liked person in the room, but show a bit of respect in general. You want to be openly hostile with your views against Christian's, you should find another Forum to do so. Ironically it's easier to brow beat and harras, demean, villafy a Christian on these forums than it is to point out how bigotted some of the "athiests" are (Lee).
              Thanks Chris, I appreciate the kind words ;), however, I am guilty of lashing out, too :(

When I see all the Muslim bashing I feel bad for Levent and Turk, two good friends of mine who are exceptional people.

You're smarter than that, z31.
              I was thinking the same thing.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
              If you were referring to me, I was just giving markseven shit, and he didn't seem too flustered by it.
              :D

If you knew anything about Jesus you would know the premise behind his death was to cover the sins he knew all Christians would make. Not preaching, just telling you from the perspective of the New Testiment of the Bible.

The human race in general is by no means perfect in anyway and I've never heard any Christian, Jew, Muslim, Catholic, Hindu, etc EVER claim they were.

Threads like this only offer up self serving anti-religious rants to validate whatever insecurities atheists have regarding organized religion, usually targeting Christians 90% of the time, and are no less self serving than the people they've come to critisize.

If you're comfortable in your decision to NOT believe in God.. good for you.. but what makes you feel so compelled to openly critisize what anyone believes no matter what God they believe in other than to make some half-assed attempt to reaffirm your own reason not to believe in anything.
              Eloquent.

Originally posted by briansjacobs View Post
              speaking for myself here, as an atheist I do not blame god,and I do not have a problem with religion. I think religion can do a lot of good in this world. I think it has done more harm than good, but that is a different conversation.

My problem is this, when people of faith try to inject their relgious beliefs into law, when they try to shame politicians, you get the picture I am painting here.

My life should not be subject to your beliefs. If you dont like same sex marriage, dont do it! dont want an abortion, dont have one! Want to pray in school, great, do it quietly! Basically leave us alone and we will leave you alone, the way it should be. I am not trying to convert anyone, My wife is catholic and both my children were baptised (so i've been told, I was not there)
              You edited your Freudian slip :p

What a bunch of whiners.
              You didn't write those quotes but you've posted enough origanl material to leave no doubt about your position. And you align yourself with the beliefs of the quoted, correct?
              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

^Want to rehash the same old discussions?

Most missionaries I know don't just show up in a foreign country then start bashing and critisizing people to convince them to convert to whatever religion it is they believe in. Many of them provide assistance and education to communities first and preach their religious beliefs second. Though its funny how easy it is for people to negatively critisize something they've never participated in or experienced first hand. Not saying I was ever a missionary but every one I've ever worked with was an all around good person even if I didn't completely agree 100% with their beliefs.

So then you are aware that I was baptized and raised in an Episcopal church and participated until Jr. High?

Oh you weren't? Ahhh, so more assumptions on your part.

As to the second part, you're being ridiculous and you know it.

By saying that "I believe in me" I'm saying that I believe that I am in control of my destiny and that I am responsible for what becomes of my life.

I don't believe in "There but for the Grace of God go I"

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                  Thanks Chris, I appreciate the kind words ;), however, I am guilty of lashing out, too :(

When I see all the Muslim bashing I feel bad for Levent and Turk, two good friends of mine who are exceptional people.
                  I agree with both of these statements. I try to be understanding, but I fail sometimes.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

^Want to rehash the same old discussions?

So then you are aware that I was baptized and raised in an Episcopal church and participated until Jr. High?

Oh you weren't? Ahhh, so more assumptions on your part.

As to the second part, you're being ridiculous and you know it.

By saying that "I believe in me" I'm saying that I believe that I am in control of my destiny and that I am responsible for what becomes of my life.

I don't believe in "There but for the Grace of God go I"
                    You don't recognize it, but there is humility lacking in the way you and other atheists present your opinions. But then again, if you believe that humans are the most intelligent life form in the known universe... :giggle:

I agree with both of these statements. I try to be understanding, but I fail sometimes.
                    Werd.
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

You don't recognize it, but there is humility lacking in the way you and other athiests present your opinions. But then again, if you believe that humans are the most inteligent life form in the known universe... :giggle:
                      What more intelligent life is KNOWN in the universe?

KNOWN, not faith they are here, but KNOWN they are here?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

To yourself? None as far as you're concerned. This isn't just about "faith" per se. You've got to understand that while you discount my personal experience and anyone elses, there's a LOT of people out there that wouldn't be what they are without God and have seen him move in the hearts, minds and lives of HUNDREDS of people. All in the same general direction, towards him. Again, you don't and refuse to accept any of these accounts as they are from "superstitious, weak minded, herd mentality" types. Which is fine, but you claim that while science cannot prove something doesn't exist, science discounts any evidence of God because it's all "relative". There's a loop hole of reasoning. Again, I urge you to read Timothy Kellers book, "The Reason for God" as he's very logical and in such thought provoking. I'll gladly read anything from your camp/school of thought in return. Discussion would ensue, it would be epic.
                        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

I'm a believer. Right now I believe I'll have a beer.

Jon
                          Rides...
                          1991 325i - sold :(
                          2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

...Again, I urge you to read Timothy Kellers book, "The Reason for God" as he's very logical and in such thought provoking. I'll gladly read anything from your camp/school of thought in return. Discussion would ensue, it would be epic.

I might take you up on that if Z31 wont. It will have to wait, though. I am currently making my way through "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis (yeah, the fantasy writer). It is, as of yet, the most logical explanation for Christianiy that I have heard. I should clarify, however, that when i say "logical" I mean that his approach is mathmatical (if, else, else if, etc.), not that I agree with his reasoning.

Anybody here read it?

p.s. I'd apologize for derailing the thread, but I'm pretty sure that was a communal effort.

Comment

C.S. Lewis is a very logical and reasonable dude. I love that guy. Timothy Keller is a lot of the same reasoning and mathematical, if you will, logic. It's good stuff.
                              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

You don't recognize it, but there is humility lacking in the way you and other atheists present your opinions.
                                There's a pretty simple reason for this. Generally, people fall into the category a thinker or a feeler (like on the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator). When presented with a situation, feelers have an immediate emotional reaction and then find logic to suit their feelings(I guess I felt that way because...). Thinkers actually logic out the situation, come to a rational conclusion and then decide how to feel about it. Naturally, most atheists are thinkers. It's not very comforting to believe that when your family is gone they are gone. No heaven, no guardian angels or songs from single handed ex-golfers singing "I've only just begun". Nor is it pleasant to think that when it's over your spirit dies and all of your memories go with it. Feelers are attracted to religion for this reason - and are generally so comforted by the promises and the group solidarity that their emotion over rides any rational thought that they may encounter on a bad day. This is why priests often say "everyone has doubts sometimes, faith blah blah blah". They abandon their logical thoughts in favor of what feels good.

Now, I'm an optimist. I'm comforted by atheism and am not afraid to die - but I love life. I treat everyone with respect and hold myself to a pretty rigid moral standard - but others don't always. Some seem to think that since life is "meaningless" suicide is appropriate, immorality and disrespectful behavior is moot and that consequences are irrelevant in the long run. I'm of the opinion that we're all very fortunate to have this life. It's such an exponentially rare phenomenon that it shouldn't be wasted by remorse, regret, wrong doing and the like. I have equal respect for the lives of others and do my best to make their limited time pleasant.

Going back to humility, thinkers don't always do the best job of displaying sincerity or emotion. It's not that it doesn't exist, it's that it's constantly over-ridden with the desire to be efficient, articulate and precise. You'll note that most talented poets or novelists are none of the above. It does not mean that there is no feeling or humanity - just that all of the sentences thinkers write and words they speak are refined, calculated and designed to be easily understood rather than loaded with emotion.

Having taken some time to understand this about myself, I make efforts to modify my behavior so as to appear more approachable - specifically while at work.
                                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Working...
                                X