No announcement yet.

$5 Gas in 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my $1300 eta paid for itself in 7 months of driving. my gas bill on the rx8 was about $400/month. went to about $150. insurance stayed the same since the rx8 went to a weekend car. and then the insurance company gave me $3100 for the eta when an old man totalled it. (only had it for 7 months.)

i'd love to have your commute. i fill up once a week in my ix. twice if im driving the 8.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

yeah, even if I got 30mpg, it would only save me $50 a month, maybe. and I don't really have time to maintain another car.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
        Higher than what? The momentary crash in price during the global recession?

It's good to have it find stability and is still lower than 2008

No the price isn't *as high* as 2008. But it's stayed high twice as long (and still stays high now) as 2008. It didn't peak like 2008.
        Stability, yes if you think stably high is a good thing.

Feb08-Oct08 prices never went below 3.11. And they peaked at 4.12. Average=Approx-3.61 over 8 months.

Feb2011-current prices have not gone below 3.11 per gallon. Average=Appox-3.53 over 16 months.

You can argue all you like. Those are not good numbers for people trying to get around in a down economy.
        Last edited by joshh; 05-30-2012, 12:04 PM.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
          No the price isn't *as high* as 2008. But it's stayed high twice as long (and still stays high now) as 2008. It didn't peak like 2008.
          Stability, yes if you think stably high is a good thing.

Feb08-Oct08 prices never went below 3.11. And they peaked at 4.12. Average=Approx-3.61 over 8 months.

Feb2011-current prices have not gone below 3.11 per gallon. Average=Appox-3.53 over 16 months.

You can argue all you like. Those are not good numbers for people trying to get around in a down economy.
          WHAT NUMBERS WOULD YOU LIKE?!? Did you NOT expect them to recover to where they were in 2008? Why does it matter that prices have been stable at this price longer than in 2008 - do you think they are going to go down anytime soon?? And why would you ever?? [Eventually they will proceed to go up as global demand continues to grow, until alternatives start to cut more into transportation use through higher adoption]

Did you not take Econ 101, like ever? Do you just walk into a store and say "this is bullshit, I don't like these prices!"? People other places in the world pay more. And it's not like the world is shrinking - more and more and more people are getting cars and have access to energy.

If people need to get around, it's called a) legs b) bike c) bus. Americans only complain because they were so spoiled and lived it up with gas guzzling SUVs for so long, they came to expect it... felt entitled.

edit: YOU HAVE FOUR YEARS TO SAVE UP AND BUY A Civic VX, 1st Gen Insight, or another cheap high mpg car in preparation for gasoline's rebound!!! No one has any room to complain really.
          Last edited by rwh11385; 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I still see SUVs, hummers (H2, and even H1) and gigantic trucks with one person in them, and no cargo, every day. So, I don't think people are starving because gas is expensive.

oh yeah, gas consumption in the US has been on the decline since 2008.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

WHAT NUMBERS WOULD YOU LIKE?!? Did you NOT expect them to recover to where they were in 2008? Why does it matter that prices have been stable at this price longer than in 2008 - do you think they are going to go down anytime soon?? And why would you ever?? [Eventually they will proceed to go up as global demand continues to grow, until alternatives start to cut more into transportation use through higher adoption]

Did you not take Econ 101, like ever? Do you just walk into a store and say "this is bullshit, I don't like these prices!"? People other places in the world pay more. And it's not like the world is shrinking - more and more and more people are getting cars and have access to energy.

If people need to get around, it's called a) legs b) bike c) bus. Americans only complain because they were so spoiled and lived it up with gas guzzling SUVs for so long, they came to expect it... felt entitled.

edit: YOU HAVE FOUR YEARS TO SAVE UP AND BUY A Civic VX, 1st Gen Insight, or another cheap high mpg car in preparation for gasoline's rebound!!! No one has any room to complain really.

Quoted for when the price goes back down as it did at the beginning of 2009.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Did you not take Econ 101, like ever?
                see, this is how you win debates
                “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoted for when the price goes back down as it did at the beginning of 2009.
                  You can hope all you want for $1.60 gas again... but at the end of the day you'll still be blaming someone else for your problems instead of doing something proactive about it.

Comment

buck sixty NO, less than 2.75 yeah very doable
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      But there are two huge problems:

1) You can't complain about the economy and gas prices at the same time, like joshh does. A growing economy = more people in the world who can afford to drive (or eat more protein), and thus ups the demand, and hence price. (Unless, of course, you're supporting alternative sources / efficiency - then you can grow the economy without bloating oil demand, but Catch-22 is that most people don't invest in that without high prices)

2) $2.75 gas at the pump is correlated with an oil barrel price that is unprofitable to fuss with oil sands. (basically, Newt was full of shit)
                      [edit: Yes - similar numbers as you replied with - some say as high as $70 needed to make oil sands worth it, but also read $65... and looking at historic $2.77 ~= $63/barrel]
                      Last edited by rwh11385; 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Oil sands are profitable at the 65ish a barrel mark (IIRC). As are most shale plays. 65 a barrel should put fuel in the 2.50-2.60 or less a gallon range again IIRC.

We have lots of drilling going on here, ON PRIVATE land. The feds are refusing to lease, in many of the newer prime plays in this country (an buying up and decreeing protected vast swaths of them as fast as they can), including the defacto ban on new drilling in the Gulf, again by refusing to sell new leases, also dont forget the bans on east and west coasts. We can increase our own production in this country by a ton yet, if the feds would get outta the way. (You know this) This would help with both of our main issues right now, lack of good paying jobs for those outta work, and record high energy prices.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

He's too busy arguing things people are not saying.

Agreed, and it will drop again. Just not as low as 1.60 of course. Maybe when we have a President that actually wants us to have cheap energy again.
                          Last edited by joshh; 05-30-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

But there are two huge problems:

1) You can't complain about the economy and gas prices at the same time, like joshh does. A growing economy = more people in the world who can afford to drive (or eat more protein), and thus ups the demand, and hence price. (Unless, of course, you're supporting alternative sources / efficiency - then you can grow the economy without bloating oil demand, but Catch-22 is that most people don't invest in that without high prices)

2) $2.75 gas at the pump is correlated with an oil barrel price that is unprofitable to fuss with oil sands. (basically, Newt was full of shit)
                            [edit: Yes - similar numbers as you replied with - some say as high as $70 needed to make oil sands worth it, but also read $65... and looking at historic $2.77 ~= $63/barrel]

What was the price of fuel here in the states at the beginning on 09? A whopping three years ago.
                            Last edited by joshh; 05-30-2012, 11:51 PM.

Comment

What was the price of fuel here in the states at the beginning on 09? A whopping three years ago.
                              I don't know if I should be confused that this post makes no
                              point and zero sense, or to be shocked you know that 2012-2009 is = 3. That's difficult math for someone like you.

Comment

I don't know if I should be confused that this post makes no
                                point and zero sense, or to be shocked you know that 2012-2009 is = 3. That's difficult math for someone like you.

The answer is $1.84. Mr. Sleeve is correct. Keep those blinders on buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X