No announcement yet.

Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo is global warming still over? This is super cereal you guys.

Comment

Yup. Hurricane Sandy is causing lots of snow in WV, therefor globe cannot possibly getting warmer.

Comment

Worth quoting:
        Nowhere in the world is the rising number of natural catastrophes more evident than in North America. The study shows a nearly quintupled number of weather-related loss events in North America for the past three decades, compared with an increase factor of 4 in Asia, 2.5 in Africa, 2 in Europe and 1.5 in South America. Anthropogenic climate change is believed to contribute to this trend, though it influences various perils in different ways. Climate change particularly affects formation of heat-waves, droughts, intense precipitation events, and in the long run most probably also tropical cyclone intensity. The view that weather extremes are becoming more frequent and intense in various regions due to global warming is in keeping with current scientific findings, as set out in the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) as well as in the special report on weather extremes and disasters (SREX).
        I think continuing to debate whether or not GW will be a problem in the future or not is pretty moot when we are already seeing the effects now. Sea level rises is being measured at the exact heights as predicted by computer modeling from the 90's, which was far less sophisticated than computer modeling we have today. And as stated above the frequency and intensities of weather events are as predicted as well. Looks like nature is doing what the climatologists predicted. Nature must be in on the liberal AGW conspiracy.
        sigpic

Comment

Guys it snowed a freaking foot here.
          Checkmate, scientists!

Global warming is def not real.

I wish the gays would stop making all these storms.

Rainbow graph for illustration:

That's right~ SUNSPOTS. Suck on that liberal tweed-wearing communists.

ACE = accumulated cyclone energy (based on duration, intensity, & number of storms)
          SCL’ = rate of change of solar cycle length, calculated by applying a complex Morlet wavelet [at 4 different wavenumbers] to sunspot numbers:

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
            If anyone wants me to make and send them a joshh/Fusion/gwb logical fallacy bingo board, I can. Then we can make their poor arguments and fallacies used into a game.

Possible boxes

Any of the three:
            Make an strawman attack - telling the opponent what the opponent's argument is (which is slightly different so easily to criticize) then saying it's unbelievable.
            [.......
            You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Have you actually made this board yet because I can think of a few instances where I might need it. Perhaps broaden it from just climate change to 'illogical argument' bingo. Would have been great to have during the debates.
            -Q

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
              Wellp, not only is the EU making fraudulant claims, they've also already decided what our future will be.
              If these demands don't make you shiver (living here or not) and if you are too blind to see the ideological shift of a whole society, than you are probably missing a large portion of your brain.
              Yes I write demands, because these things will be dictated, not discussed and certainly not voted on by the society as a whole.

1a. Buying and using an electric car
              1b. Buying and using an plug-in hybrid
              2. Buying and using a smaller car
              3. Fuel efficient driving style
              4. Teleworking
              5. Virtual meetings
              6a. Reduction of room temperature by 1°C
              6b. Reduction of room temperature by 2°C
              7. Optimised thermostat settings
              8. Optimised ventilation behaviour
              9. Shift to a vegetarian diet
              10. Reduction of animal protein intake (one animal protein-free day per week)
              11. Shift to a healthy diet

Sure, let's drive hybrids and eat wheat while we slowly die out.

Meanwhile we're in a Demolition Man scenario, countries that don't give a rat's ass can continue breeding.
              I can totally understand with your frustration with the EU government. what the hell man:

banning all perfume makers from using certain ingredients because 1-2% of the population could be allergic? the EU is going to regulate itself into a black hole.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Q5Quint View Post
                Guys it snowed a freaking foot here.
                Checkmate, scientists!

Global warming is def not real.

I wish the gays would stop making all these storms.
                Finally! Someone who gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  I can totally understand with your frustration with the EU government. what the hell man:

banning all perfume makers from using certain ingredients because 1-2% of the population could be allergic? the EU is going to regulate itself into a black hole.
                  That's just a miniscule facepalm compared to this:

The EU and its Member States have committed to provide €7.2 billion in fast start finance over 2010-2012, almost one-third of the total pledged by developed countries. In 2010 and 2011 a total of €4.59 billion in fast start finance has been mobilised and this money is being spent on concrete climate actions in developing countries.

Developed countries' longer-term pledge to provide climate finance totalling US $100 billion a year by 2020 is dependent on developing countries taking meaningful and transparent action to mitigate their emissions. The EU will contribute its fair share, in particular to support the least developed and most vulnerable countries. Work is ongoing to identify a pathway for scaling up global climate finance between 2013 and 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

Honestly if they're going to run the EU into the ground, let them do it really, really fast, so that we in the good ole US of A can watch it collapse and maybe our impending self-regulatory demise will take a little bit longer.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                      That's just a miniscule facepalm compared to this:
                      right, half the EU is insolvent but they have $100 billion to blow on.. what exactly?

I realize the US isn't in any position to give financial advice to other countries (hello fiscal cliff) but what th EU is doing makes no damn sense.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Have you actually made this board yet because I can think of a few instances where I might need it. Perhaps broaden it from just climate change to 'illogical argument' bingo. Would have been great to have during the debates.
                        -Q
                        Thank you. I could easily make/re-make it but sharing it might be challenging. (unless someone wants to host it) It might just be easier to explain how to make a board in Excel to randomly populate itself based on a series of categories in a column. Once you know the methodology, it's quick and easy. From idea to delivery, it only took a couple minutes to create and share. And providing boards for people is instant refresh and then print/screen-shot.

[Basically, create a board with VLOOKUP equations reference a matrix of numbers 1-24 below it. The VLOOKUP returns the entry next to the nth ranked entry for the nth square. A random number function assigns a value in a column next to each potential entry. The adjacent column to the random number one is the rank function, which is what is called by the VLOOKUP. Creating more than 24 entries also allows a group to have not just randomly located entries but different ones as well. Then hit F9 and the board will jumble around, then print out your board.]

It's been useful to help cut down on negative behavior in meetings by calling them out via the Bingo board, and thought it might be useful in encouraging people to recognize and call out illogical arguments here. Instead of allowing such behavior to continue unchecked, you literally check it on the board which hopefully discourages the behavior and at least gives some entertainment even if there are people dragging down the team/group.

edit: For addition of the equations and a sample board

Begging the Question might be repeated, but oh well. You get the idea.
                        Last edited by rwh11385; 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I might just print out 3-5 versions- mostly for effect not really to actually win bingo, although bribes with candy work great at most of my meetings.
                          I feel like this is strategic planning planning class haha!

Back on topic~
                          How about this: we can just sue the government for not protecting our resources?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...courts/256903/

"The plaintiffs contend that they have standing to sue under the "public trust doctrine," a legal theory that in past years has helped protect waterways and wildlife. It's the reason, for example, that some state government agencies issue licenses to catch fish or shoot deer, particularly when populations are declining. The doctrine has never before been applied to the atmosphere, and it's a trickier prospect, not least because the sources of atmospheric pollution are so diffuse and wide-ranging, extending to other countries whose actions the United States may not be able to influence."

I mean if you need a hunting/fishing permit so you don't take too many deer or fish... I don't see a big stretch to you needing a pollution permit so you don't pollute up my jam land too much.

Never-mind all the metrosexual fish we are creating from birth control juice shooting into our rivers~ lets deal with the direct stuff first. Like your tail pipe jamming up my land. We can deal with japan coming over and tailpiping our whales later, we gotta stop doing it ourselves first.

Comment

That's right~ SUNSPOTS. Suck on that liberal tweed-wearing communists.
                            hold teh fone. Are you trying to say some object 93,020,000 miles away from our planet could have an effect on our weather?

I call shenanigans.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

I found an article written about a few of the posters here.

AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X