Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/no...e_weather.html
    What's the Difference Between Weather and Climate?
    Pssh. Like NASA is a credible source for anything. We all know they make up their research to convince the government to give them more money for more research, so they can drive around in their Ferraris from glacier to glacier to look at dirty ice for a living.

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    hahaha

your getting there cale, careful though you might wake up one morning be one of us............ gasp a skeptic........................................... .
    I'm skeptical of your skepticism, and I think you will be too when those snows that you are used to getting start later and later in the season.
    sigpic

Comment

Look a snowboarder who believes in human caused climate change:
      http://www.motherjones.com/environme...e-snowboarding

Can you believe it? They are trying to get laws passed just to protect their knuckle-dragging hipster industry. If that isn't abuse of the government I don't know what is. I hear after they take away our emissions, they will take away our guns, our children, and then God himself. After that they will force you to drive on the right side of the road and wear a seatbelt. THEY HAVE NO SOULS!

Speaking of no souls~ look a book on the economics of global warming.
      http://books.google.com/books?id=kTJ...arming&f=false

The institute for international economics~ hah what a stupid name. 2.5-3.5% of our gdp could be spent on something much better than fixing climate change.... something like the war on drugs. When the Bush administration hosted the international conference on global warming in 1990 they obviously didn't believe in it at all. The sun might cause an 80 degree cycle of up to .2C which better explains all this 3-5C bullshit.

Damn I am getting bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by q5quint View Post
        this isn't the real world; this is the even real-er world. The internet is serious business. If you can't use words good then you should just post pictures of boobs and cats like everyone else.
        some people get it ;)
        "I wanna see da boat movie"
        "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
          some people get it ;)
          Oh I get it. So in the real world you are a firm believer in global warming and on here you're just pretending to be an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            yeah, clearly the scientific evidence is only anecdotal in nature. ;)

<3
            THE French boss of the troubled Wonthaggi desalination plant has admitted for the first time that the plant is too big for Melbourne’s water needs.

Suez Environment chief executive Jean-Louis Chaussade told the Herald Sun the size of the plant was based on unrealistic rainfall expectations.

“The design was done to provide water to the full city of Melbourne in case of no rain during one year – which was not realistic … The details why it was 150GL per year, I don’t know,” he said.

Story:
            Draught in Victoria, Aus.
            Three scientists alarm further draughts based on climate change predictions.
            Alarmists get gov't to build 24bil. desalination plant.
            Plant costs citizens a huge premium for the next 28 years.
            Following two years are wet.
            Scientists blame wet weather on climate change.

Comment

^so what's your point? We shouldn't plan for climate change? I think desalination plants will become more common. Good for Melbourne for being prepared for inevitable drought. Time for California to build several.
              sigpic

Comment

Australia faced a 10-year long severe drought (the 'Big Dry') from 1997-2007 that saw rainfalls in all the major cities' watershed areas drop by more than 50%. I have a friend who lived in Bendigo, VIC that literally RAN OUT of water and had to be evacuated. The whole town. The entire SE of the country was on water restrictions so harsh that you couldn't water you plants, lawn, or garden, couldn't wash your car, couldn't do anything. The reservoirs were at 10-20% capacity for years.

Facing a situation like that, where a city of over 2M people is at risk of having to be evacuated because there's no water, what would you do? NOT build a desalination plant? It's better that they built it too big than too small.

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
                  ^so what's your point? .
                  Similar to most arguments from deniers, tunnel vision. They focus on what they want to see and ignore everything else. Don't worry you guys aren't alone in this, there are many creatures who do this. It just so happens that the next most intelligent one to do so has to pull a cart around while chasing a carrot.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    Australia faced a 10-year long severe drought (the 'Big Dry') from 1997-2007 that saw rainfalls in all the major cities' watershed areas drop by more than 50%. I have a friend who lived in Bendigo, VIC that literally RAN OUT of water and had to be evacuated. The whole town. The entire SE of the country was on water restrictions so harsh that you couldn't water you plants, lawn, or garden, couldn't wash your car, couldn't do anything. The reservoirs were at 10-20% capacity for years.

Facing a situation like that, where a city of over 2M people is at risk of having to be evacuated because there's no water, what would you do? NOT build a desalination plant? It's better that they built it too big than too small.
                    Foresight is for the weak.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post

But but but but, assuming that drought wouldn't impact them and going with a cheaper smaller plant is what the people who don't study science think is smart!

It's like the uneducated people who want to Monday-morning-quarterback decisions like these don't understand that systems are designed for 100-year floods so they have enough margin in case of rare events, and not necessarily just covering the most likely ones and being screwed.

Comment

more records being tied/broken (saw this on weather.com)

A record warm spring coupled with a slow start to snowfall this season is sending some Midwest cities into snowless streaks that are breaking records.

(MORE: Top 5 weather stories of spring 2012)

Chicago, Ill., Des Moines, Iowa, Milwaukee, Wis. and Omaha, Neb. are among the cities that have yet to record measurable snow this fall. Measurable snow is defined as 0.1 inches or more of snow accumulation.

Below is a look at where these lengthy streaks stand through Thursday.

Chicago, Ill.
                        •277 days without measurable snow
                        •Record is 280 days set in 1994
                        •Average snow total by December 5 is 2.4 inches.

Des Moines, Iowa.
                        •277 days without measurable snow
                        •Previous record set in 1889 of 277 days was tied on Thursday.
                        •Average snow total by December 5 is 4.3 inches.

Milwaukee, Wis.
                        •276 days with no measurable snow
                        •Current record is 279 days set in 1999
                        •Average snow total by December 5 is 4.1 inches

Omaha, Neb.
                        •286 days with no measurable snow
                        •Previous record streak of 285 days set in 2001 was broken on Thursday.
                        •Average snow total by December 5 is 3.7 inches
                        funny how most of the previous records are within the last 20 years.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

stop talking and do something about it. Change yourself first. All you guys do is sit here and talk talk talk trying to prove something. Why don't you do something about it, list all that you've done pls
                          "I wanna see da boat movie"
                          "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Note: I really was being sarcastic.

Comment

Hey look sometimes he contributes....and he still comes off as a moron.

Awareness about what is supported by facts (AGW) encourages funding to GW research and green technologies, something which will spark real change. Look at what happened with acid rain, awareness does make an impact. Unfortunately deniers take it upon themselves to financially support those who are willing to say what they are paid to say for the purpose making more money, Koch brothers anyone?

So to your "list all that you've done" we're doing what we can, awareness sparks change, something we need. Should everyone who does not hold a degree to study climate science ignore the topic because it's not their field of employment? Maybe we have to pioneer some form of green technology before we've "done something" and meet your criteria for holding an opinion. If you wish to be that ignorant by all means, remain so. Don't try to discourage others or think we're wasting our time because we're interested in something which actually affects us day in and day out.

Comment

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                                stop talking and do something about it. Change yourself first. All you guys do is sit here and talk talk talk trying to prove something. Why don't you do something about it, list all that you've done pls
                                Since you're such a big global warming believer, why don't you go first. Lead by example.

Comment

Working...
                                X