Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    lol, the best part of this argument is that in 10 years im going to say i told you so.

:P

i can bide my time.
    It's been 10 years since this comment was made. Does it still stand ?
    Flickr

Comment

Nice.

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

ah, back in 2011, when the entire west coast wasn't on fire all summer long, it rained more than 0.20" from June to September, and 88 degrees was considered a hot streak in the PNW..

But don't worry. No warming here!
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by m3clutch View Post

It's been 10 years since this comment was made. Does it still stand ?
          Depends who you're talking to- still..

Since r3v is dead af, may as well tarnish my seemly low reputation more so by adding things of little to no value here in P&R hehe.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            ah, back in 2011, when the entire west coast wasn't on fire all summer long, it rained more than 0.20" from June to September, and 88 degrees was considered a hot streak in the PNW..

But don't worry. No warming here!
            California is usually on fire and hot, so nothing has really changed here.

If it's hot and dry, like it's supposed to be here in socal, we usually have mild fire seasons, but when we get a good year of rain, like 15-20 inches, be ready to see millions of acres burn up w the vegetation that grows in w all the supplied water.

All our major fire seasons come after above average rain fall, followed by more typical winter and we've been having those above average rainy seasons more frequently (past 60 years)

It's more rain, rather than hotter and dryer

in 2012, we had bad fires, since 2011 was above average w rainfall

The terrible fire in malibu 2018 was after an above average 2017 rain season

2020 was also terrible, one of the worst ever and that was after TWO back to back above average rain seasons.

These anomalies cause our "average" rainfall to go up like crazy. Then we have people telling us that, "oh, were under our average another year in a row!" global warming blah blah blah

Yeah, it's actually just not a rainy region.

When looking at yearly rainfall in California, almost no year is close to the 'average' line.

The under average years are much closer to that line then those gnarly years when it rains like crazy.

Last edited by MrBurgundy; 08-24-2021, 04:05 PM.
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

What Nando was sarcastically saying was that gone are the days in PNW when 88 is hot considering it has been over 100 quite a bit up there.

I was up there ~10 days ago and it was hotter in Seattle than it was in LA...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

California is usually on fire and hot, so nothing has really changed here.

If it's hot and dry, like it's supposed to be here in socal, we usually have mild fire seasons, but when we get a good year of rain, like 15-20 inches, be ready to see millions of acres burn up w the vegetation that grows in w all the supplied water.

All our major fire seasons come after above average rain fall, followed by more typical winter and we've been having those above average rainy seasons more frequently (past 60 years)

It's more rain, rather than hotter and dryer

in 2012, we had bad fires, since 2011 was above average w rainfall

The terrible fire in malibu 2018 was after an above average 2017 rain season

2020 was also terrible, one of the worst ever and that was after TWO back to back above average rain seasons.

These anomalies cause our "average" rainfall to go up like crazy. Then we have people telling us that, "oh, were under our average another year in a row!" global warming blah blah blah

Yeah, it's actually just not a rainy region.

When looking at yearly rainfall in California, almost no year is close to the 'average' line.

The under average years are much closer to that line then those gnarly years when it rains like crazy.

OK. I've lived in the PNW for over 40 years. Let me tell you how many years we had months of insufferable smoke prior to 2015.... the answer is zero. Now it's so common, people think it's normal. No, no, no - it's not normal at all.

Having extreme swings of heavy rain and drought is exactly the point. Trying to blame the worst wildfire years on record, all of which occurred recently, on too much rainfall? give me a break.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

m3clutch thanks for bumping this... I miss P&R

Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I don't miss it, but I do long for more content on r3v.

Comment

OK. I've lived in the PNW for over 40 years. Let me tell you how many years we had months of insufferable smoke prior to 2015.... the answer is zero. Now it's so common, people think it's normal. No, no, no - it's not normal at all.

Having extreme swings of heavy rain and drought is exactly the point. Trying to blame the worst wildfire years on record, all of which occurred recently, on too much rainfall? give me a break.
                      Most of southern California has a Mediterranean-like climate, with warm and dry summers, mild and wet winters, where cool weather and freezing temperatures are rare. Southern California contains other types of climates, including semi-arid, desert and mountain, with infrequent rain and many sunny days. Summers are hot or warm, and dry, while winters are mild, and rainfall is low to moderate depending on the area. Although heavy rain can occur, it is unusual. This climatic pattern was alluded to in the hit song "It Never Rains (In Southern California)". While snow is very rare in lower elevations, mountains above 5,000 feet (1,500 m) receive plentiful snowfall in the winter.
                      har har har

yes- rain bad

maybe listen to the song? idk

I haven't spent the time to look into recent weather/wildfire data in the PNW, but I'll take a look, or maybe you've got some reading material for me?

Comment

Nah. I don't need links, I can just look outside. Arguing with people like you is a waste of time anyway, which is why this thread died. You've pre-decided your conclusions despite tons of evidence to the contrary. I'm sure the record low reservoir levels, water restrictions, dried up lake beds, melted glaciers and extremely dry conditions in the forests resulting in the largest fires in recorded history are caused by *too much* rain. Yep... makes perfect sense.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

har har har

yes- rain bad

maybe listen to the song? idk

I haven't spent the time to look into recent weather/wildfire data in the PNW, but I'll take a look, or maybe you've got some reading material for me?
                          Rain bad, desertification good?

I am ready to fight the near future sand worms so the P&R may flow, but my eyes aren't CGI blue, so I might get eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I just, miss all the discussion, I've been a lurker since I was a teenager. in 2011, I probably had very little perspective on things...it's crazy how these boards allow us to travel back in time, word for fking word. Just wish the photo would load :P
                            Flickr

Comment

Nah. I don't need links, I can just look outside. Arguing with people like you is a waste of time anyway, which is why this thread died. You've pre-decided your conclusions despite tons of evidence to the contrary. I'm sure the record low reservoir levels, water restrictions, dried up lake beds, melted glaciers and extremely dry conditions in the forests resulting in the largest fires in recorded history are caused by *too much* rain. Yep... makes perfect sense.
                              I can say the same about you? I can also say that there plenty of evidence contrary to what you believe is true, because there is.

It's so easy to just say, "oh, the info is out there, this is a waste of time, blah blah blah." Lot's of people deflect the burden of truth about their own position on the person they're arguing with. Probably, because they're afraid to find out they might be incorrect about things they deeply believe in, or they just don't have anything to refute what's being said. It's an easy way to squash a conversation/argument, because you know, especially in person that they cannot do that and that in this online one, that I'm probably not going to do that either.

Yeah, look out your window and let me know how the climate is changing. Your 40 years of anecdotal evidence is good enough, right?

I was just playing devils advocate here, since I don't think there's anyone else who posts here on this side of the isle in regards to this topic... and it's fun to see what people have to say, but my advocacy has elicited butthurt rather than discourse.

Comment

I can also say that there plenty of evidence contrary to what you believe is true, because there is.
                                Let's see it.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X