Is there a god?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    That's not really, truly believing though, is it?

    And if God is all-knowing, it's safe to presume, you only profess to believe in public because you think Heaven will be the reward, he will know this and your entrance will be denied.
    So, we are all predetermined to get into heaven or be damned to hell. If god created us, and is all knowing, past, present, future....he knows, he knows.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    And if God is all-knowing, it's safe to presume, you only profess to believe in public because you think Heaven will be the reward, he will know this and your entrance will be denied.
    I love this because it's how I feel about most religious folks. They do it because they get something out of it and it makes them feel better. Not for any other reason.

    Have you heard of those people that will leave waitresses little notes with scripture as their tip instead of money? Instead of leaving some actual money so that a waitress can pay her bills or put food on the table, they think they are doing her a favor by leaving scripture. But it's ok, they sure can feel great about it. Fuck those people.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    Why is this? From a practical standpoint, what do you get from religion on a day to day basis that nonbelievers don't get?

    I feel bad because I know what it's done for me, and how it has added to my life, not taken away from it, and knowing how I felt when I turned my back on the Catholic religion I was born into that I knew, inside on a cellular level was totally wrong as a teenager, and how those feelings changed when I found there were other ways to have a relationship without listening to dumbass Priests that were hypocrites, and bullshit members of a club, playing a game, fooling people and telling them how they are supposed to live their life to get to the door.


    Also, Happiness. I know non-believers think they are happy, but thats because they only are as happy as they know they can be, but there is another level and place of happiness that they don't have. Judging from personal opinion/experience.

    Leave a comment:


  • pantelones
    replied
    I'm not going to say anything since I don't want to argue with anyone.....

    Food for thought....





    And an interesting story....




    That is all.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Buddy, I said I'd rather, not I do. I was stating a concept, not my true feelings. I do believe. Or pistis and it's derivatives if you want to get technical. http://concordances.org/greek/4102.htm

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    I feel bad when I think about others being without
    Why is this? From a practical standpoint, what do you get from religion on a day to day basis that nonbelievers don't get?

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    I wrote the above before your post LBJ, but I think it responds to it well.

    And to your statement, I do think God has a plan, and is doing something, but that does not mean I shouldn't be keeping my powder dry. I'm not all "Jesus Take the Wheel" status, flying blindly down a highway at 90MPH with no control...

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    TBH, I'd rather believe and it end up false instead of doubt and it be true.
    That's not really, truly believing though, is it?

    And if God is all-knowing, it's safe to presume, you only profess to believe in public because you think Heaven will be the reward, he will know this and your entrance will be denied.

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    I don't bend over. If I want to drink, I drink. If I want to bang two women at once, I bang to women at once. If I want to tell an old person to "Fuck Off!", I tell 'em to fuck off.

    I do me, and He does him, and our relationship is between the two of us, I don't worry about some other human being on the surface of the earth judging me or giving two fucks about how I roll. I talk to Him like a friend, and don't pray some repetitive bullshit some guy said to say when speaking to God, In fact I usually start off with, "Hey Dude in the Sky, I..."

    It works for me, and I really don't care how others view it. I used to want to jump into these types of threads like Cheif808 or whatever his username is, but I really don't care about anyone elses opinion. I feel bad when I think about others being without, but if they don't have eyes to see and ears to hear, that's a bummer for them, it's not my job to sell God.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    TBH, I'd rather believe and it end up false instead of doubt and it be true.
    That's a famous argument called Pascals Wager. Basically, he says that you have nothing to lose if you believe in god and his existence ends up being false. But you will lose something, namely entrance into heaven, if you don't believe and his existence ends up being true. Therefore, you should believe in god.

    It's actually a weak argument because there is plenty to lose if you live a religious life and god doesn't end up being real. Hell, there is plenty to lose if you live a religious life and god DOES end up to be real. Like I was saying before, religion teaches people to not think for themselves and follow blindly. Religion teaches people that the material world doesn't matter, only some immaterial realm with which we don't have any evidence for is what matters. Religion teaches people to pray, and thus only make themselves feel better, instead of offer some sort of actual assistance. Religion teaches people to not take control and responsibility of their lives, let god take care of it. Religion teaches people that you shouldn't give yourself or others credit for good things that happen, god must have done them. Believe it or not, the message that religious folk hold so highly and preach from their soap boxes, is actually a bad one.

    Shit, I don't remember the exact numbers but god kills thousands of people in the Bible and Satan only kills one or something. Maybe god isn't the nice guy that people think he is. Maybe god isn't the one that people should be following.

    Really, it's all a big load of horse shit. The Abrahamic god absolutely crumbles under even the smallest bit of criticism.
    Last edited by LBJefferies; 06-26-2012, 12:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • cale
    replied
    Fine approach, I'd rather not bend over outta fear though.

    ps. loved the pics

    Leave a comment:


  • Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    TBH, I'd rather believe and it end up false instead of doubt and it be true.

    Leave a comment:


  • cale
    replied
    I can add mysticism to anything by labelling it indiscernible, doesn't make it any more valid or reasonable of a proposition. If that were the case any conceivable proposition is a potential truth. There's a reason things need to be evaluated under certain boundries to be thought or found true, as soon as you subject god to all the same criteria and criticism everything else must meet in life or an argument it fails as a theory. That's why the following argument makes you look like an idiot.

    If you cant see that from looking around, then there is something you are seriously missing you guys.
    Why is a god any more free to not be held to rules as anything else you find to be true? Oh that's right, because that's one of the ground rules of your dogma. Sheeple ftl.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by Xat1cZ
    Thanks for the entertainment..



    But in my humble opinion was Walt Disney a better fairytale writer than those who wrote the bible
    In all honesty, his first post about creation is the one you should be criticizing, not this one. He is making a similar point to what I am saying in that god cannot be understood or defined.

    Leave a comment:


  • tonerrrr
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    What if the e30.....





    ......is not god's chariot?

    Leave a comment:

Working...