Is there a god?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cliche Guevara
    replied
    I've given you your damned definition, saying that I haven't doesn't make that the case. Let's move on.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliche Guevara
    Good lord, this isn't that difficult. You know that thing that every major religion thinks they're praying to? That. That's what we're discussing. There are god threads on other forums that I've literally been active in for years and I haven't ran into this problem. Everyone understands the general concept of a god.

    Regarding your other post, there are always a couple good theist posters that make these threads worthwhile. Most just post mindless dribble, but I've had some great conversations with Christians about the question of a god.


    Sooooo are you going to make an argument or just spew baseless assertion? If it's the latter then I'll just start ignoring you now.
    Listen, my whole point this entire thread is that all those definitions of god, EVERY LAST ONE, is wrong. You cannot define god, period. I have asked you for a definition of god, and you can't give me one. It is outright impossible to define god. Get that through your head. And if you are having a circle jerk argument with someone about god, then you are simply arguing about some arbitrary, and meaningless words which makes the whole endeavor pointless. Hell, CHIF8008 gets it.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIF8008
    Your Disbelief is pointless. and in the end you will reap what you have sewn.

    i Pray you will have your eyes opened before its too late.
    Ahh yes, the good ol' Pascal's Wager. I never said that I don't believe in god sir. I said that I am not religious and have many criticisms of religion.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cliche Guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    That tells me NOTHING.
    Good lord, this isn't that difficult. You know that thing that every major religion thinks they're praying to? That. That's what we're discussing. There are god threads on other forums that I've literally been active in for years and I haven't ran into this problem. Everyone understands the general concept of a god.

    Regarding your other post, there are always a couple good theist posters that make these threads worthwhile. Most just post mindless dribble, but I've had some great conversations with Christians about the question of a god.

    Originally posted by CHIF8008
    Your Disbelief is pointless. and in the end you will reap what you have sewn.

    i Pray you will have your eyes opened before its too late.
    Sooooo are you going to make an argument or just spew baseless assertions? If it's the latter then I'll just start ignoring you now.
    Last edited by Cliche Guevara; 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIF8008
    God didnt Poof. He was and He is.

    even if i could explain to you even the slightest of what or who God is. we could not understand it. God is not bound by anything. He is the one that created those bounds in the first place. and the very effort of explaining God is pointless because we could never get anywhere.
    Well shit I think I agree with you more than Cliche Guevara.

    All that creation shit though, get that garbage out of your head. It's bad for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • CHIF8008
    replied
    Your Disbelief is pointless. and in the end you will reap what you have sewn.

    i Pray you will have your eyes opened before its too late.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliche Guevara
    I just gave you a definition, it's a supernatural being.
    That tells me NOTHING.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cliche Guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    It's hard for me to argue about a concept that I don't think is defined well and makes little sense. So, I would like a full definition of god if you would please kind sir.
    I just gave you a definition, it's a supernatural being.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIF8008
    you really think all of this just Poofed here?


    even from a scientific view there is no way that any of this could have just "evolved". how is a tree living? how does an ant know how to survive? how were you even given life? your soul? God gave life, God made and designed every detail of everything before it was ever made. Everything has His fingerprints all over it
    Haha, do you see what I mean Cliche Guevara? How can you have an argument about something so ridiculous? It's utterly pointless.

    Leave a comment:


  • CHIF8008
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    Ok and where did god poof from then?
    God didnt Poof. He was and He is.

    even if i could explain to you even the slightest of what or who God is. we could not understand it. God is not bound by anything. He is the one that created those bounds in the first place. and the very effort of explaining God is pointless because we could never get anywhere.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cliche Guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIF8008
    you really think all of this just Poofed here?
    Erm, no. I don't know what it was like before the big bang created our universe. The difference between my and you is that I can accept that ignorance. While I dislike having gaps in my knowledge, I am comfortable admitting ignorance in certain areas if I don't have sufficient evidence to support an explanation of the universe before the big bang. I don't feel a need to invent a god out of nothing with a set of characteristics and rules for us to live by simply because I cannot explain every aspect of the universe.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliche Guevara
    Yes. For sake of being able to make concise posts that is what we are doing in this thread. You can be needlessly philosophical and discuss what a god could be, but this thread is for discussing the possibility of a supernatural being. Considering that's what just about everyone thinks of when you bring up the idea of a god I assumed it would be perfectly acceptable to refine my diction and simply use the term "god" rather than "supernatural being." I deemed the more lengthy term needlessly verbose, but I guess that wasn't the case.

    So from here on out it will be safe to assume that "god" refers solely to a supernatural being. That was, after all, the purpose of the thread.


    edit @CHIF8008: Where is the evidence for said god?
    It's hard for me to argue about a concept that I don't think is defined well and makes little sense. So, I would like a full definition of god if you would please kind sir.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by CHIF8008
    you really think all of this just Poofed here?
    Ok and where did god poof from then?

    Leave a comment:


  • CHIF8008
    replied
    you really think all of this just Poofed here?


    even from a scientific view there is no way that any of this could have just "evolved". how is a tree living? how does an ant know how to survive? how were you even given life? your soul? God gave life, God made and designed every detail of everything before it was ever made. Everything has His fingerprints all over it
    Last edited by CHIF8008; 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cliche Guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    Defining god is an inherent problem within philosophy of religion. It is seriously pointless to say "god is so and so" and then have an argument about it. You can't define god, period. This is why I said earlier that the god question is entirely fruitless. I mean, I suppose we could define god as the supernatural god of abrahamic religion, but we all know that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. Hence, the pointlessness of it all. We might as well argue about the existence of Santa Claus.
    Yes. For sake of being able to make concise posts that is what we are doing in this thread. You can be needlessly philosophical and discuss what a god could be, but this thread is for discussing the possibility of a supernatural being. Considering that's what just about everyone thinks of when you bring up the idea of a god I assumed it would be perfectly acceptable to refine my diction and simply use the term "god" rather than "supernatural being." I deemed the more lengthy term needlessly verbose, but I guess that wasn't the case.

    So from here on out it will be safe to assume that "god" refers solely to a supernatural being. That was, after all, the purpose of the thread.


    edit @CHIF8008: Where is the evidence for said god?

    Leave a comment:

Working...