If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
The situation I'm in gives me the emotional and intellectual capacity to acknowledge that the concept of a god is irrational. If I had an extremely limited education and poor understanding of how the world works I would likely attribute numerous natural, easily explainable phenomena to god, as was previously commonplace. If my life were complete shit, I was addicted to drugs, had no friends, been disowned by my family, whatever, I think the only thing that could give me solace would be the idea that some deity has a plan for me.
Without those factors impacting you it's much easier to take a step back and analyze the evidence rationally.
edit: I should note that I don't believe these to be the only reasons people believe in god.
I'm on the atheist side, though I have to warn you atheism isn't a belief. I don't like the atheist label tbh.
Just because you've decided to stay outside the pool doesn't mean you can't swim. You're probably just lucky enough to have noticed the shit in the water.
The way I post in this thread is much different to how I post in threads somewhat related to this topic and vastly different to how I discuss the topic passively with people.
You are a fucking tool. Well giant pot stirring troll is more like it. You dont believe in a deity of your choosing thats fine, neither do I.
You know you are being no different than the really annoying fundamentalist bible thumpers on their self appointed high horse looking down and telling those that believe differently than them are stupid and wrong. Your being childish and immature as well as intolerant of other peoples rights to freedom of worship as they see fit. You need to grow the fuck up and worry about your own shit before you start telling others what they should believe in. You disgust me, yet again.
Dude, there's a reason I made this thread, I enjoy discussing this topic but I don't like picking fights with people over their beliefs. I would feel like a bit of a douche if I just went into every thread remotely related to this topic and screamed at them about how there isn't a god. That's the point of this thread, it's a place for people to engage in this sort of discourse. Most of my friends are very devoted Christians and I never give them shit for it. This is a thread for people that want to debate the existence of god, if you don't expect contentious statements to arise then you're quite naive.
Did you take issue with any of the content in my post or are you just going to attack me for coming off as a dick on the Internet? I'd love to see you try to rationalize your assertion that I'm intolerant of the freedom to worship. That's like saying I'm against freedom of speech because I strongly disagree with someone on whether pot should be legal.
You are a fucking tool. Well giant pot stirring troll is more like it. You dont believe in a deity of your choosing thats fine, neither do I.
You know you are being no different than the really annoying fundamentalist bible thumpers on their self appointed high horse looking down and telling those that believe differently than them are stupid and wrong. Your being childish and immature as well as intolerant of other peoples rights to freedom of worship as they see fit. You need to grow the fuck up and worry about your own shit before you start telling others what they should believe in. You disgust me, yet again.
Meh, hes right Sleeve. We have a huge population of fundamentalist Christians in this country. Their beliefs have no evidence or proof yet they use them to vote and thus influence the lives of others. I am inclined to criticize vocal nonbelievers as well, but another side of me thinks that we need them to counter the wacko Christians.
Believing in something with absolutely zero empirical evidence simply because it makes you feel good is not a rational approach to life. It's no different from believing in big foot or the Loch Ness Monster, it is an irrational, unfounded opinion that deserves zero respect. The difference with a belief in god is that this particular irrationality typically has a huge impact on an individual's worldview.
You are a fucking tool. Well giant pot stirring troll is more like it. You dont believe in a deity of your choosing thats fine, neither do I.
You know you are being no different than the really annoying fundamentalist bible thumpers on their self appointed high horse looking down and telling those that believe differently than them are stupid and wrong. Your being childish and immature as well as intolerant of other peoples rights to freedom of worship as they see fit. You need to grow the fuck up and worry about your own shit before you start telling others what they should believe in. You disgust me, yet again.
Originally posted by Thomas Jefferson
it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Leave a comment: