• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ethrtyiS
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Then post some!
    in my experience with politics, the left is oblivious to facts and result in name calling and racist remarks when confronted with facts. so what's the point?

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
    So, y'all are good with jerking the rug out from under Israel, too?

Let's get back to the fact that a tiny amount of this money spent worldwide was spent on mosques.....do you really think all Muslims hate us? How deluded are you? I was in Qatar recently. My Republican Fox-watching friends act like the whole Middle East is a war zone. They say "you're gonna get killed over there!" Puhleeze......Qatar Airlines could teach our airlines a thing or twenty...I have never been treated so well on a plane. The people I met displayed no anti-American bias, and I thought one comment was particularly interesting: "you Americans.....you spend so much on your military while your students suffer. You make your colleges inaccessible to more and more people. That doesn't seem a very intelligent way to make a stronger nation."

Hmmm......

We need to quit obsessing over these little nickle and dime amounts sprinkled around and talk about a meaningful balance between revenue and spending.
    In Qatar most defiantly not, just about like going to the UAE or visiting the Saudis. Your also about 15 feet from the 5th fleet lol.

Yes your arab friend has a good point, why didnt that 770m we are discussing go to scholarships so people here can go to college rather than to slather some new paint on some mosques somewhere else in the world. Was the other 21b we gave away in Aid not enough already???

While I support Israel and all, and since they are an ALLY funding for them should be a little more carefully considered but I would not endorse jerking the rug totally, we should let that dog off of its chain and see where that goes.
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-21-2012, 11:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
    there are facts and figures out there to prove it.
    Then post some!

Leave a comment:

• mar1t1me
    replied
    So, y'all are good with jerking the rug out from under Israel, too?

Let's get back to the fact that a tiny amount of this money spent worldwide was spent on mosques.....do you really think all Muslims hate us? How deluded are you? I was in Qatar recently. My Republican Fox-watching friends act like the whole Middle East is a war zone. They say "you're gonna get killed over there!" Puhleeze......Qatar Airlines could teach our airlines a thing or twenty...I have never been treated so well on a plane. The people I met displayed no anti-American bias, and I thought one comment was particularly interesting: "you Americans.....you spend so much on your military while your students suffer. You make your colleges inaccessible to more and more people. That doesn't seem a very intelligent way to make a stronger nation."

Hmmm......

We need to quit obsessing over these little nickle and dime amounts sprinkled around and talk about a meaningful balance between revenue and spending.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Yes but remember around here facts have a left bias

Leave a comment:

• ethrtyiS
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    I dont hate foreigners, I dont know where you got the idea that conservatives hate foreigners and poor people form, we conservatives donate more money WAY WAY more money to charities for poor people and those in other less developed countries than the liberals and leftists do as a whole demographic.
    there are facts and figures out there to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    so you're saying we should increase state spending by $750M?
    As oppsed to giving it to people that hate us to refurbish their places of warship, which some draw the justification in which to try and kill us.

YUP sure do, should we be spending that drop in the bucket at all NO, but if we are going to barrow it to spend it, and we are going to be paying that bill I would rather see it spent here at home where we have enough of our people that are in need of help.

Like they tell you on the airplane if you lose cabin pressure, to secure your own mask befor helping others. This is no different, we need to help our selves and get our own selves back in order, so we can be in a position to help others. Not to mention we give more in aid both form the feds and privately than any other nations and most other nations COMBINED.

I dont hate foreigners, I dont know where you got the idea that conservatives hate foreigners and poor people form, we conservatives donate more money WAY WAY more money to charities for poor people and those in other less developed countries than the liberals and leftists do as a whole demographic.

Leave a comment:

• ethrtyiS
    replied
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Conservatives will always hate foreign aid because they hate foreigners. They think that Americans are superior to all others and we need only look inward, never outward. Preventing malaria? Not important. Saving children from malnutrition? Who cares. Eradicating polio? Whatever. We're the greatest country on earth so why bother helping anyone else.
    wow, a little far fetched, eh? i'm a conservative and i have to disagree 100% with you. i can say the same thing about some of my liberal friends. so does that make them conservatives too then?

Originally posted by nando View Post
    the conservatives have this idea that we live in a bubble and things like disease, poverty and malnutrician have no affect on us, which is absurd.

What would be better? Africa with an educated, healthy population that we could trade with or a continent filled with warlords and starving kids who are likely to die before they turn 40?
    also an absurd, ignorant comment. don't classify everyone as this. the same can be said about any other party.

i can't stand that the media brainwashes this country into thinking that. that is the reason i won't flip that television on.

Leave a comment:

• deutschman
    replied
    Well personally I think we should go back to isolationism. Pull all our troops out and cut all funding. Focus all our power and money on fixing America, building a functional education system, healthcare system, and manufacturing infrastructure. But thats a pipe dream.
    Some of you guys have to look at this on a larger more global power struggle type scale. These wars are not so much about global terrorism and/or religion. Those are all side notes and distractions.
    They are more about American interests, oil, water, business, and a global power struggles between Russia/China and the western countries. Its all a huge game of thrones, which countries can position them selves in the best strategic positions for the future to be able to control populations, business deals, and consumable resources.
    As fare as the middle east goes, stating that they choose to live in a back wards society is a bit ignorant. Western powers have been ripping the middle east a new one ever sins WWI. Many of the inter-tribal/religious disputes between groups like Shia and Sunni can be traced back to countries like the England, and France (League of Nations) reorganizing countries and Muslim communities that have never gotten along. Mainly Syria and modern day Iraq. This is when many of the Islamic nationalist movements began. This was a thinly disguised form of colonialism.
    So there is a very long history of western involvement and Arabic resistance in Syria, Iraq and other countries along with deep seated inter-tribal and religious conflicts caused by the reorganization of the Middle East after WWI.
    What is happening now in these countries is really just a continuance of what took place after WWI, with many new and modern social, political, and economic power struggles in the mix.
    If you study history closely you will find that many of the problems countries like America find them selves in are caused by passed foreign policy. We gave Saddam Hussein weapons to fight Iran and head off Russian attempts to gain favor with Saddam. We gave Iran weapons to over throw their own government. We gave the Taliban weapons to fight the Russians. We now have armed conflict with all these groups and countries.

Leave a comment:

• jrobie79
    replied
    they dont?^

Leave a comment:

• evandael
    replied
    Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
    BTW, to put this in perspective, if GE actually paid even 5% income tax (instead of having a "negative tax rate") on it's 2008-2011 profits..

But corporations don't pay taxes, they just pass the costs down to consumers!

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    pffft, "facts" have a left wing bias, dontchaknow

Leave a comment:

• mar1t1me
    replied
    Facts are nice. I like facts.

"Many readers also asked us about U.S. funding of mosque restoration after an Atlanta television news station, WSB-TV, reported in November that "the State Department is sending hundreds of millions of dollars to save mosques overseas." News anchor Justin Farmer said that the State Department’s Agency for International Development gave money to mosques in Cairo, Cyprus, Tajikistan and Mali. He said that the money given to the Cairo mosque was "part of" a $770 million program to fix the city’s sewer system.

We spoke with a USAID official, who told us that the Cairo sewer project, which did total about $770 million, began in 1984 and ended in 2006. It was a major undertaking that wasn’t specifically directed to the mosque, though about $2.3 million was used "to help lower the groundwater at the mosque area, replacing the old sewage collector, and providing a healthier environment for people living in the area,"

I don't think the Christian Right will ever stop trying to connect Obama to Islam in a way that makes their delusions line up with the pablum Fox News feeds them. They complain bitterly about these kinds of projects, yet are happy to support billions of dollars per year sent to Israel.

BTW, to put this in perspective, if GE actually paid even 5% income tax (instead of having a "negative tax rate") on it's 2008-2011 profits, it would amount to more revenue than this program cost over 22 years. And that's only one company....
    Last edited by mar1t1me; 12-20-2012, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CorvallisBMW
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Which we barrow 46% of. Your a spread the weath kinda guy. wouldn't you rater see that 3/4 of a billion dollars given to those in need here in the states. Thats 15.4 million if divided equally among the states. Since after all its all of our money and we are the ones that are going to have to pay the interest on all of that debt.
    so you're saying we should increase state spending by $750M?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    the conservatives have this idea that we live in a bubble and things like disease, poverty and malnutrician have no affect on us, which is absurd.

What would be better? Africa with an educated, healthy population that we could trade with or a continent filled with warlords and starving kids who are likely to die before they turn 40?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X