Bugout/Disaster Prep. Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
    2. The global population is expected to go on the decline within the next 50 odd years. That's global though... in alot of developed countries it's already an issue. Apparently it's so bad that alot of Euro countries are offering tax rebates & incentives if you have kids. And then you've got all of Japan's "seriously, you young people really need to start getting it on" PSA campaigns.

It's an interesting documentary, slight tinfoilery, but interesting nonetheless.
    That's odd that countries would do that considering that would help out alot of problems right now like energy, water, fuel, food, job consumption.
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Not really - the big issue with population decline in developed countries right now is the elderly - as I'm sure you know it costs a fuck ton of money to keep old people alive. When you've got more old people dependent on socialized medical care (in their defense, I'm sure these people didn't expect to live past 70-80, because that wasn't really a thing in their time. why would they build up retirement equity to last 40-50 years? how were they to know that modern medicine would extend their "lives" by 20-30 years?) than young people putting money into the system you've got a problem, hence why they're trying to stabilize the population (definitely not trying to make it explode again though).

But yeah, I guess it is odd that most governments would choose that route vs. euthanizing grandma once she hits 80

Comment

If you had to get a dog to be your only companion in a madmax situation what would it be? Id get a german shepherd

Comment

Bugout/Disaster Prep. Thread

probably a yorkie. or a maltese.

--Mike
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
            If you had to get a dog to be your only companion in a madmax situation what would it be? Id get a german shepherd
            Russian Ovcharka but only if I had a never ending appropriate food supply fuckers take shits that are bigger than most dogs.

In practice a Karelian Bear dog or even a pair of them would make very very good companions in a situation like that, or one of their close cousins a Russo Laika or Finnish Spitz. Breed for hunting and protection against large dangerous game they are Absolutely fearless when it comes to defending their "pack" will run all most anything into the ground and keep it busy for you to come in a make the kill. They will stand up to a 1000+ lb grizzly bear, moose, wild bore or just about anything else you might run across with out hesitation....
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              Russian Ovcharka but only if I had a never ending appropriate food supply fuckers take shits that are bigger than most dogs.

In practice a Karelian Bear dog or even a pair of them would make very very good companions in a situation like that, or one of their close cousins a Russo Laika or Finnish Spitz. Breed for hunting and protection against large dangerous game they are Absolutely fearless when it comes to defending their "pack" will run all most anything into the ground and keep it busy for you to come in a make the kill. They will stand up to a 1000+ lb grizzly bear, moose, wild bore or just about anything else you might run across with out hesitation....
              Would you really want a fearless dog engaging anything in this situation? Seems like you would want something that will simply alert you to danger. Otherwise it is going to get destroyed by a bear or a zombie hoard or the ParsedOut tribe up yonder in dem woods.

In any event, I'd kill and dine on the flesh of all your dogs on doomsday.

Yum.
              2011 1M Alpine white/black
              1996 Civic white/black
              1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

A well trained hunting dog will not engage unless told to or you are under direct threat. ;) The point was I want something loyal, smart, of reasonable size and useful for both protection and afield, but not consume more resources than I do in any given day....
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
                  Would you really want a fearless dog engaging anything in this situation? Seems like you would want something that will simply alert you to danger. Otherwise it is going to get destroyed by a bear or a zombie hoard or the ParsedOut tribe up yonder in dem woods.

In any event, I'd kill and dine on the flesh of all your dogs on doomsday.

Yum.
                  Yeah I agree with einhander on this. I'd rather have a trained dog that'll alert me when danger is around...not jump into the first dark room you see.
                  I have 2 pitbull/boxer mixes. My boy's about 70lbs and stands about 6" higher than a pure AST. Strong as an ox, does exactly what I say, and wants to kill everything smaller than him.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fallout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	7169698

Comment

Sounds poorly trained as a pup. A dog which has not been trained to kill rodents/varmint should not be doing so without being told. Breeds with high prey drives need to be socialized with other pets at a young age so they realize that a pet =/= food or reactive toy. My family members dog is a cat killer, it's not acceptable and I'd probably have mine put down if it did so.

I'd probably get a Malinois, awesome dogs. German shepherds are up there too.

Comment

If your unfamiliar with the Karelian, Finnish Spitz, Russo Laika, and similar hunting / protection dogs, then I suggest you look more into them. Yes you have to train them well and have a firm hand with them or they can cause issues, just like with most other arctic dogs. They have been bread for what they do, protect their pack and help hunt big game for the better part of a 1000 years. (though the breed didnt really get official recognition until sometime in the mid 1930's IIRC).

Several of the national parks, and State fish and game agencies use them for bear control just for these reasons. My next dog is likely going to be a Karelian anyway.

William Pitt-

Comment

The thing is you'd have to have a dog have those traits but still have the strength and stamina to help carry stuff without needing much food/water.
                        So a dog that has:
                        Strength
                        Speed
                        Stamina
                        Strong hunting drive but knowing when it should and shouldn't go buck-wild (high intelligence)
                        Loyal (won't stray off)
                        Overall well trained
                        Does not need many resources to sustain itself.
                        Relatively compact in case you need to squeeze in tight areas.

Personally I think a well trained Bully crossbred with a dog bred for speed would be ideal. Strong as hell, relatively compact (they're not that big), very intelligent and easy to train, strong hunting instincts but can be trained to restrain itself, and EXTREMELY loyal. Pit bulls have a very strong tendency to want to please their masters and obey.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	pitbull backpack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	7169717

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                          The thing is you'd have to have a dog have those traits but still have the strength and stamina to help carry stuff without needing much food/water.
                          So a dog that has:
                          Strength
                          Speed
                          Stamina
                          Strong hunting drive but knowing when it should and shouldn't go buck-wild (high intelligence)
                          Loyal (won't stray off)
                          Overall well trained
                          Does not need many resources to sustain itself.
                          Relatively compact in case you need to squeeze in tight areas.
                          Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 09-26-2014, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Walking Dead season premiere stent?

Ebola is raising people from the dead. In what sounds like a bad horror movie, residents in a small village in Liberia believe they’ve seen two female victims of the killer disease walking th…

Comment

oh shiznit, it's starting!!!

everyone, man your bugout station ASAP!!!
                              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                                Walking Dead season premiere stent?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1952958
                                These "reports" are coming from the same people that drink the blood of the deceased at funerals. I wonder if they've seen the chupacabra or bat boy as well? The fact that this was even slightly news worthy is hilarious, the article wasn't even tongue in cheek.

Comment

Working...
                                X