Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's do it, conspiracy theory time......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gwb72tii
    replied
    Originally posted by decay View Post
    well look at that, we found a way to reach across the aisle. an anarchist and a conservative agree on something.
    Merry Christmas young man

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
    qft!!
    well look at that, we found a way to reach across the aisle. an anarchist and a conservative agree on something.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gwb72tii
    replied
    it's always been a tenet of american politics that we're allowed to disagree with each other. Disagreeing with someone is not the same as saying they're not allowed to have their opinion, or practice their faith.
    qft!!

Leave a comment:

• mjimport
    replied
    Currently hooked on Netflix series Wormwood, conspiracy theory drool fest. Unbelievable, yet believable at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    As Republicans sprint to pass their tax plan, the one question on everyone’s mind is: Will this help or hurt me?

Where do I spend it first?

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Just so long as they are not conservatives, or have strong religious beliefs.
    you're making lots of assumptions.

this is me, spending my own time volunteering to do tech crew work at a local church called Epic- i've spent several weekends working 0700-1400 for them helping run the A/V component of the sermon. my girlfriend sometimes helps run the internet stream of the service, if you ever feel like tuning in. the pastors are named Ben and Will and they've been very welcoming, even knowing that i am and will probably remain agnostic. https://www.epicsf.com

my mother is about as strongly conservative as you are and i still manage to have calm and rational discussions with her.

it's always been a tenet of american politics that we're allowed to disagree with each other. disagreeing with someone is not the same as saying they're not allowed to have their opinion, or practice their faith.

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    Ok, I've been silent for a little while, but I would like to point out that I think one major component is being left out of this discussion, a definition of investment. It seems from what has been posted recently that the assumption is that investment = more jobs. I'm going to argue that's usually not the case.

Offering tax incentives for corporations to bring headquarters back from overseas and invest in more production capacity is great, however, this is under the assumption that the consumer will purchase more. With higher consumption there is a necessity for corporations to expand production facilities as well as hire more workers to staff those facilities, which would equate to trickle-down economics actually working. However, the nature of production is that it has become increasingly automated so the "trickle-down" doesn't actually equate to more jobs.

Much of the investment that corporations have been doing is actually in technologies that allow them to hire few people, not more. So although corporations may move from one state to another or one country to another because they have more money to invest because the taxes are lower, that doesn't necessarily mean that their investment is going to equate to more jobs for Americans, in fact, it may have the opposite effect, fewer jobs for Americans because more of the production can be automated.

So although lower taxes for corporations seems like a good idea because corporations can become more profitable and therefore the investor sees more value for their dollar invested, that's about as far as the benefit goes. Anyone who loses a job because of automation or anyone that doesn't have money invested in the market (which a large number of Americans truly don't because they were never taught how to do so or they never worked a job that offered such a benefit) are actually worse off than they were before.

So I just don't buy the argument that lower corporate taxes = more money for the average person. This line of thinking ignores many variables that ultimately corrupt the argument.

Leave a comment:

• supermansocks95
    replied
    Nah, you're good sleeve. That's accurate. I just love the laid back lifestyle out here in the middle of nowhere.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    Just so long as they are not conservatives, or have strong religious beliefs.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    all the more reason for me to stay. i'd rather live in a place where everyone has the freedom to live whatever life they want, without being judged for it, as long as they're not harming anyone else. that's what our country is supposed to be about.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    i live here because this is where the tech jobs are, and managing/troubleshooting enterprise internet infrastructure is what i turned out to be good at, post-military.
    Right thank you for helping to prove my point, with your personal touch. Your making out well thats a good thing and thats all that matters. Let me know when you are willing to keep doing what your doing for a 40+% pay cut and live in Olathe because your employer will save money. (Supper: I am not picking on Kansas ) Good idea for them if they can retain the people that work for them for the move, most people who live where you do dont want to move to Kansas and will stay in their homes and find someone where in the bay area that needs a similar skill set.

Oh and if that makes your sticker peck out..... then have it, I dont care what you and other consenting adults do thats awesome for you. The point was, you likely wont find that outside of places similar to where you live now, other than maybe in some local guys basement where the 9 like minded people of the county meet all cloak and dagger like on every 3rd Tuesday so their kids 3rd grade teacher dose not find out, but only if you know the right people to ask to get an invite. Not with sign front with neon and twinkly lights on main street between Alice's resale shop and The Greasy Spoon...
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    people like Decay like living in cramped urban areas filled with hippster approved brew houses, organic farmers markets and grocers, places that sell used clothing for high end prices, and places that serve coffee with titles that include Soy- Nonfat-cold brew etc on every other street corner with the occasional S&M club for good measure.
    i live here because this is where the tech jobs are, and managing/troubleshooting enterprise internet infrastructure is what i turned out to be good at, post-military.

i can tell you that the people at the S&M clubs will be the last ones to tell you how to live your life.

Leave a comment:

• supermansocks95
    replied
    I just work at a bank that's in a few counties. There are opportunities in manufacturing here, but because I'm the only parent that gives a damn in my daughter's situation, I decided to go to this job instead of working swing shifts so I can be in her life as much as possible. Luckily, this move to IT is proving to get me paid around how much I would've made at some of the manufacturing jobs anyways. But yeah I get ya. If I owned a company and wanted to make it a big thing, CA would probably be the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Tax incentives, no. Just cost of operating as far as rent and salaries are much lower here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X