E30 m20 3.1L 276whp NA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hasa View Post

S54 is about 340bhp DIN. How would any M20 produce that with lousy cam like 286, considering that best heads are restricted to 210-215cfm (which translates to around 325hp) ? You need duration, lots of it to get the required volumetric efficiency.
    For 2V v8 there is a rule of thumb that 1 cfm is capable of producing 2.2 hp assuming the combination is correct

so a 6cyl with 210cfm is 346hp. Also stock s54 make about 200rwkw around this part of the world (250rwkw with cams, air box and SS headers) so it’s close enough

you are mistaken if you think you need tons of duration to make peak hp at 7000rpm or so which is all the rpm you need with a 3.1L. You need valve area and the 286@0.1mm has heaps of valve area. At some point I will overlay on some other known cams I measured.
    If you want to peak at 8500rpm then you need monster duration

it’s about understanding the rpm range of all the parts and the engine’s needs and aligning those
    Last edited by digger; 06-13-2023, 12:27 PM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

That guy does not have alot of good things to say about brintech :S

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        That guy does not have alot of good things to say about brintech :S
        Yeah gotta love some of the rants. Very disappointing that they are needed though. Never had any dealing with Brintech
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Their diff swap always struck me as odd and unnecessary.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            Their diff swap always struck me as odd and unnecessary.
            Yeah, I didn’t think that 188 diff and e30 bmw axles were weak.

Comment

Hes pulled the pin, shop has flood damage and the owner of the building told him to dig out the concrete and bolt the hoist in the gravel....

So hes doing a fire sale now
              Boris - 89 E30 325i
              84- E30 323i

Comment

Working...
              X