Pro3 vs Spec E46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro3 vs Spec E46

Crazy idea that I even want to have everyone think about comparing something to e30 but here we are. Looking for experiences or pros vs cons of these two series located in the PNW.

Ideally I am truly weighing my options to buy a base car to use on track next year and then build to fit the series specifications for 2024 season. E46's are more plentiful but hard to pass up the simplicity of the e30. And from this past weekends event at Pacific Raceway it was 60 e30s in one race and maybe 6-8 spec e46s in another.

Instagram: Reichart12

The best racecar is one that someone has already built and is selling. Usually the only costs beyond the car is getting new belts, new foam for the fuel cell and making sure the fire system is up to snuff.

I dont suggest building one.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      The best racecar is one that someone has already built and is selling. Usually the only costs beyond the car is getting new belts, new foam for the fuel cell and making sure the fire system is up to snuff.

I dont suggest building one.
      You speak the practical truth. I've seen a few spec e46s for sale above what I can do in a lump sum right now. Different chassis with event wins command more money but I'd be fine with something just to learn in obviously.

Comment

Both are good, Build the car you can budget to make the best. Kinda seems like the Spec E46 is about 40% more to build.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          Both are good, Build the car you can budget to make the best. Kinda seems like the Spec E46 is about 40% more to build.
          Haven't seen any full Pro3 cars for sale recently but the two Spec E46 I saw were 45-50k.

Comment

Also you have to look and see what the class will be like when your car is "Ready"

E30 are thinning out.

They have Spec3 E36?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8F93486-49E5-4D39-AB7F-F3D4CB590089.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	10062744 PRO3 is not even close to thinning out, the last race had many entrants (40+).

I would recommend renting cars in both classes and seeing which one you like best. Each platform and class will have a different feel. Even then, it seems like renting a car is the cheapest and easiest solution with no upfront cost requirement. show up and drive!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by wazzu70; 07-21-2022, 05:09 PM.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

They have Spec3 E36?
                What I was seeing that there was Spec e36 elsewhere but never really caught on here. And that the e36 wasn't that big of change that the e46s were when they were starting this series in 2013ish or something like that.

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                PRO3 is not even close to thinning out, the last race had many entrants (40+).

I would recommend renting cars in both classes and seeing which one you like best. Each platform and class will have a different feel. Even then, it seems like renting a car is the cheapest and easiest solution with no upfront cost requirement. show up and drive!
                I was at that race and if I stopped being lazy I would edit the 500 or so photos I took. Renting seems like a decent idea and there seems to be multiple options on that front. I'm not race licensed so I would need to go through those steps first or rent a Pro3 for a driving school or track day.

Comment

I would look into Spec 3. It is an in between option and the build is MUCH less than SE46

Comment

Working...
                  X