Star Spec 2's are out on Tirerack!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    I thought 225/45/15 was the ideal e30 15" tire for non-modded fenders...

    Leave a comment:


  • Mystikal
    replied
    ^ Is the 225/45 a spec size or something? I'd probably choose a 205/50 Z1SS over a 225/45 R1R.

    Leave a comment:


  • Emre
    replied
    I was very excited about this tire as its one of very few left in the 225/45/16 size I'm stuck with on the Cosworth. Tried to order online, but it says "special order only."

    Spoke with the guys at Tire Rack. They say the Direzza ZII won't be ready to ship until mid-May at the earliest.

    The car is out of storage and sitting at Guten Parts right now. My first track event of the season is a couple of weeks away. No time to wait for the ZII. Had to settle for the Toyo R1R, which I've used once before and I'm not a huge fan of. Crap

    Leave a comment:


  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    Aah. Somehow I missed the manufacturer.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
    What's this "rival" i'm hearing about?

    Leave a comment:


  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    The Michelins are very good all around tires, but they are still compromised. They also overheat very quickly. Z1s do not.
    Originally posted by peytonracer4
    how do the star specs handle colder temps? like 60 degrees outside?
    i may be getting some new autocross tires
    Z1s are def awesome. Mine are good from about 45F-ish (at 40F and lower they start to get overly slippery, and the snows outperform them if its wet) right up to the point where my not-track-rated-emergency-replacement-pads overheated and I ran off the track. tires looked perfect.

    60F they'd be fine. 60F and raining they're still fine. 45F and raining they're not going to instantly kill you, but if there's ice, you're toast.

    What's this "rival" i'm hearing about?

    Leave a comment:


  • Massimo
    replied
    Originally posted by Earendil
    Massimo, have you run the ZII in the wet yet?

    Anyone have a pair of Rivals on yet?
    No not yet hasn't rained here in AUS yet waiting for the opertunity though

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Massimo, have you run the ZII in the wet yet?

    Anyone have a pair of Rivals on yet?

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Originally posted by wadbus
    Its seems to me that the newer Falkens (615k) worked better in the rain than the previous Star specs, I'm just trying to find a cheaper, and better alternative than Dunlop and Falkens
    Hard to tell without running a fresh pair back to back in the same rain, but I went from Falkens to Sar Specs and thought they handled amazingly well (an better) in the rain. They are also cheap in their category, at least in the 15" range.

    Leave a comment:


  • wadbus
    replied
    Its seems to me that the newer Falkens (615k) worked better in the rain than the previous Star specs, I'm just trying to find a cheaper, and better alternative than Dunlop and Falkens

    Leave a comment:


  • Earendil
    replied
    Originally posted by wadbus
    I've run both star specs and azenis in lemons, would like to hear more input on the Rivals.
    So would I. However, I fear the reviews are going to state that on a sunny day the Rivals are better in every way, but as soon as the track turns wet that the ZII will be the only solid tire, while the rival becomes useless. Here in the NW I need to have fun on the track in rain or shine.

    Leave a comment:


  • wadbus
    replied
    I've run both star specs and azenis in lemons, would like to hear more input on the Rivals.

    Leave a comment:


  • Massimo
    replied
    FYI

    I am no professional but it feels as though the ZII have more grip I have only had them on for a few days later in the week ill give them a good run in. Still they are well worth the money.

    Interested to see what they are like in the wet weather as my ZI were great.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Cabriolet
    My m3 isnt 25, can i run in VSP?
    IF its an E30 M3, yes, because the design is 25 years old, but it will have to retain the S14 (can be a 2.5 however) as well as the original bodywork (no fiberglass fenders, hoods, ect.) No forced induction either. Cams can be swapped to the Evo cams, and exhaust is open. Suspension is also open as long as it retains the stock mounting points (On the M3 this is a little bit open since the rules can be interpreted a little differently since the true stock form of the E30 M3 is a World/German Touring car Championship build. Yeah, people will whine, but the true stock form for the car isn't a street car. The Street car was modified from the race car.) Honestly, if it looks like its stock, it will fly. I'm also one of the head tech inspectors so if I see something obvious (like a motor swap or a turbo ect) I'll boot you out of the class. Its a pretty open class really, but we do adhere to a few of the main street prep rules. There have been a few E30s that have run in VSP in the past.

    The other semi entertaining class we run is Vintage stock. That means 25 years or older, on stock wheels, stock suspension, stock motor, full interior, ect. So, if your e30 is bone stock, come out and run that class. The tires must be a treadwear of 200 or greater (I can see people showing up on the Rivals and just owning everyone.) I won this class a few years ago with my Alfa GTV, and should have had a back to back win but I ran the first event in a different class and missed those points. I won every race that season in class, but still couldn't close the gap down (there were two of us in the class that year, the other guy had a bone stock 510. I was usually 8-10 seconds faster than he was with my more or less bone stock Alfa that was still running the original shocks that it came with.) VS had a few more people running in it last year.

    It would be great to see some new cars running. We have our stuff together and keep the grids moving pretty well. The courses tend to be tight and pretty technical, but we try to keep the standing around to a minimum.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Cabriolet
    replied
    My m3 isnt 25, can i run in VSP?

    Leave a comment:

Working...