Star Spec 2's are out on Tirerack!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    Yes. Great DD tire, bad track day tire.
    Really? A lot of guys with bigger/heavier cars seem to use them to great effect.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Are we talking about the Super Sports or ?????
    Yes. Great DD tire, bad track day tire.

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    et40, and I run a 12mm spacer up front, and think I could run a 5mm spacer in the rear, but it might rub during hard cornering. Limiters are needed to prevent inner fenderwall rubbing on the firewall side.
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    What offsets are your 17x8.5?

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    ^Front no, the diameter is too large, unless you use a 4x4 ride height.

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Roll/pull fenders, don't run Stance ride heights and slap the 245/40 on a 17x8.
    That fits? I'd love to run that size.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    The Michelins are very good all around tires, but they are still compromised. They also overheat very quickly. Z1s do not.
    Are we talking about the Super Sports or ?????

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Roll/pull fenders, don't run Stance ride heights and slap the 245/40 on a 17x8.
    I have 17x8.5, fenders are rolled, and ever so slightly pulled due to it. 245/40 will be much much too tall in the front. Rear will be no problem, but I don't like a staggered setup unless there is gobs of power and rear weight bias. Currently even my 235/40/17 cause problems in the inner fender well, so I will be switching to 245/35/17 IF they are still available when the time comes.

    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    ...in 3-4 months. ;) 225/45s are coming soon though.
    Still too tall on 17s
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nsquared97
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    Frankly, anything's better than a set of watermelons.


    Seriously though, a set of current 'extreme performance summer' tires will make a difference. Especially for autoX, having good rubber is extremely important.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Star Specs are actually very consistent over a wide temp range.

    Frankly, anything's better than a set of watermelons.

    Leave a comment:


  • peytonracer4
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    The Michelins are very good all around tires, but they are still compromised. They also overheat very quickly. Z1s do not.
    how do the star specs handle colder temps? like 60 degrees outside?
    i may be getting some new autocross tires

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by peytonracer4
    really...? it would spank the michelins too? i have a hard time believing that.
    The Michelins are very good all around tires, but they are still compromised. They also overheat very quickly. Z1s do not.

    Leave a comment:


  • peytonracer4
    replied
    Originally posted by akorcovelos
    The z1 would absolutly spank your Bridgestones or Michelins.
    really...? it would spank the michelins too? i have a hard time believing that.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Si! A bit short for E30s, but perfect for me.

    Other than I'm already on R-comps. Although, I'm considering if I should go back to street tires on the next set and keep working on my skills that way.

    It will depend on how close I can get to my theoretical best time while remaining consistent.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Roll/pull fenders, don't run Stance ride heights and slap the 245/40 on a 17x8.
    ...in 3-4 months. ;) 225/45s are coming soon though.

    Leave a comment:

Working...