Star Spec 2's are out on Tirerack!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by justint5387
    Sounds like I can run the E36 there :D
    Yeah, an e36 can run, just not in VSP. Its not 25 years old yet.

    I'll be running every UFO event so keep an eye open for either a DS M3 or a black and grey Datsun roadster with race #14 on it and that will be me. the other cool thing with the VSP class is after we are done for the day, most of us head out to pizza afterword and bench race. Its a good group to run with.

    Here is the schedule for this year.
    February 24, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #3
    March 24, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #4
    April 21, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #5
    May 4 & 5, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #6* Date may be shared with DeAnza
    June 9, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #7
    July 21, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #8
    August 4, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #9
    September 8, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #10
    October 6, 2013 Sunday UFO AutoX Event #11
    October 27, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #12
    November 10, 2013 – Sunday UFO AutoX Event #13

    I also do most of the photography work for UFO, since they have a Facebook page up now, my guess is that there will be lots of pics posted there of everyone.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    I guess I should rephrase--FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD, they are a DECENT track tire. The Star Spec is better.

    I have read everything from them being very near dedicated track tires (Star Spec equivalent) but falling just short, to them overheating and getting sloppy. Nobody has touted them as equivalent or better than a track tire, and given the amount of variables involved when comparing tires I'd be inclined to say that they are decent, but not amazing. They also likely last longer than the typical track tire--only the outside 1/5 of the tire is a soft compound, supposedly at negligible performance detriment, so it's a cool compromise.

    I can only keyboard jockey so much. Go buy a set and see for yourself. :)
    Sorry I confused myself, I thought you were saying that the Z1 Star Specs were not good track day tires. Doh!

    Sorry for the confusion.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by justint5387
    Sounds like I can run the E36 there :D
    :rofl: Just leave Mack at home.

    Leave a comment:


  • justint5387
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    Since I don't run with SCCA, its a club called NorCal UFO (United 510 Owners). I run a class called Vintage Street Prepared. Its a class for cars 25 years and older. It was originally created to give the older cars a class they could be competitive in (510s, 240Zs, ect) The class was created in the late '80s. It has since turned into one of the most competitive classes at the event with often 10 plus cars in the class, and the top 5 are generally within a few seconds of each other. At the final event last year we had 4 people who were potential class champions. Its really a pretty cool class because even though the cars are old, the top times in the classes will often be in the top 15 overall times of the day (we often have 150+ drivers at an event.). In my case, I could run CSP with both of my cars, and still be just as competitive there. We get quite a few of the better SCCA drivers (Several national champions run with us) in the bay area running with us so if you are fast with UFO, odds are you'll hold your own with pretty much any group.

    VSP is sort of ironic in a way, back in the day it was created to put the vintage cars in a different class from the E30s and fast cars of that era, now it includes those same cars. The funny thing is, its still the cars of the '60s and 70s that dominate the class. There is one very well prepared and driven 510 that I can't catch with the roadster, I'm always about half a second behind him, lucky for me however, he doesn't show up for all the events. With a set of R compounds on the M3, I might be able to get my times down to where the roadster runs, but I think its still too heavy. Perhaps with a little more refinement in the suspension department I can get closer. Its a tough class to win a season championship in because its so competitive. There was a smaller points gap between the top 3 in this class than any other class last year.

    Will
    Sounds like I can run the E36 there :D

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    Since I don't run with SCCA, its a club called NorCal UFO (United 510 Owners). I run a class called Vintage Street Prepared. Its a class for cars 25 years and older. It was originally created to give the older cars a class they could be competitive in (510s, 240Zs, ect) The class was created in the late '80s. It has since turned into one of the most competitive classes at the event with often 10 plus cars in the class, and the top 5 are generally within a few seconds of each other. At the final event last year we had 4 people who were potential class champions. Its really a pretty cool class because even though the cars are old, the top times in the classes will often be in the top 15 overall times of the day (we often have 150+ drivers at an event.). In my case, I could run CSP with both of my cars, and still be just as competitive there. We get quite a few of the better SCCA drivers (Several national champions run with us) in the bay area running with us so if you are fast with UFO, odds are you'll hold your own with pretty much any group.

    VSP is sort of ironic in a way, back in the day it was created to put the vintage cars in a different class from the E30s and fast cars of that era, now it includes those same cars. The funny thing is, its still the cars of the '60s and 70s that dominate the class. There is one very well prepared and driven 510 that I can't catch with the roadster, I'm always about half a second behind him, lucky for me however, he doesn't show up for all the events. With a set of R compounds on the M3, I might be able to get my times down to where the roadster runs, but I think its still too heavy. Perhaps with a little more refinement in the suspension department I can get closer. Its a tough class to win a season championship in because its so competitive. There was a smaller points gap between the top 3 in this class than any other class last year.

    Will
    I've been to a few UFO events in Marina. I didn't even think about running in vintage... that's interesting. If I see an old Datsun roadster at one of the events I'll come up and say hi. I'm usually codriving with someone else at this point though, so my attendance depends on finding a car to drive.

    Good luck man.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mystikal
    replied
    Love me some new tire speculation.

    After my run with Z1SS and R-S3s on the MZ3 I'm moving to either the Z2 or the Rivals. Glad I have enough tread for TR and GRM to get their comparos in before I have to gamble and buy.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    Ah. I thought I remembered they were available in a week or so. Must have been a different size.

    What class do you run in?
    Since I don't run with SCCA, its a club called NorCal UFO (United 510 Owners). I run a class called Vintage Street Prepared. Its a class for cars 25 years and older. It was originally created to give the older cars a class they could be competitive in (510s, 240Zs, ect) The class was created in the late '80s. It has since turned into one of the most competitive classes at the event with often 10 plus cars in the class, and the top 5 are generally within a few seconds of each other. At the final event last year we had 4 people who were potential class champions. Its really a pretty cool class because even though the cars are old, the top times in the classes will often be in the top 15 overall times of the day (we often have 150+ drivers at an event.). In my case, I could run CSP with both of my cars, and still be just as competitive there. We get quite a few of the better SCCA drivers (Several national champions run with us) in the bay area running with us so if you are fast with UFO, odds are you'll hold your own with pretty much any group.

    VSP is sort of ironic in a way, back in the day it was created to put the vintage cars in a different class from the E30s and fast cars of that era, now it includes those same cars. The funny thing is, its still the cars of the '60s and 70s that dominate the class. There is one very well prepared and driven 510 that I can't catch with the roadster, I'm always about half a second behind him, lucky for me however, he doesn't show up for all the events. With a set of R compounds on the M3, I might be able to get my times down to where the roadster runs, but I think its still too heavy. Perhaps with a little more refinement in the suspension department I can get closer. Its a tough class to win a season championship in because its so competitive. There was a smaller points gap between the top 3 in this class than any other class last year.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Ah. I thought I remembered they were available in a week or so. Must have been a different size.

    What class do you run in?

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    I forgot if you're 225/45R15 or not, but the Rivals come in that size and they should be available shortly.
    Mid March if Tire Rack is correct. America's Tire doesn't know when they could get them. I can't wait that long. I was thinking of running them, but I just cant run the risk. I'd really like to take a back to back season championship, and right now I have no cars I can run in the rain. Last year, it poured in February and the RS3s worked just fine, I couldn't break the back end loose. Heck, on seriously worn RS3s, I've only spun the car once. I seriously have only had one issue, and everyone else on them had the same issue on the same day. I had 3 class wins on the RS3s against guys on A6s, it was close, but a tenth of a second is still enough for a win. In my case, I just need the M3 for a back up or rain car, the Datsun is 4-5 seconds faster (same hp, 1000lbs less weight, smaller, narrower, and runs r compounds.) The runner up and 3rd place can't catch me unless I break something. They can catch the M3, but I'll still be on street tires, and I'll have to have a bad day. I've also made a couple changes that should pay off nicely.


    The Rivals look like they might be awesome, but they just aren't on the table right now. I can't get them when I need them. The good news is that I can see how they do for the next year and next year I can see whats available.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Have tracked Michelin PSS and Star Specs back to back on the same day same car same temperatures.

    No comparison, star specs blew them away. The PSS were fine for 2 laps, then hit a temperature cliff and were 5sec off the pace. Consistently.

    Z2s are rumored to be faster than the Star Specs.

    RS3s are great tires for lighter cars, but not as consistent as the SS. On track they are slightly faster, more workable, but they don't handle heat as well. No idea how they compare to the Z2s.

    BFG Rivals are supposedly going to be as good or better than the Z2s.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    Well, I just committed to another year + of RS3s. None of the others were available and with the start of my autoX season less than a month away with two corded street tires, I didn't have a choice. (That, and I'd rather not have a blow out while I'm driving someplace.) Who knows, perhaps the weather will be great and I can run the roadster all year on the r-compounds and not have to worry about tires on the M3, but in the event that something goes wrong with that plan, having a backup car that is capable of winning the class on hand is never a bad thing.

    Will
    I forgot if you're 225/45R15 or not, but the Rivals come in that size and they should be available shortly.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    I guess I should rephrase--FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD, they are a DECENT track tire. The Star Spec is better.

    I have read everything from them being very near dedicated track tires (Star Spec equivalent) but falling just short, to them overheating and getting sloppy. Nobody has touted them as equivalent or better than a track tire, and given the amount of variables involved when comparing tires I'd be inclined to say that they are decent, but not amazing. They also likely last longer than the typical track tire--only the outside 1/5 of the tire is a soft compound, supposedly at negligible performance detriment, so it's a cool compromise.

    I can only keyboard jockey so much. Go buy a set and see for yourself. :)
    I'm planning on buying a set of 265/40/19s Super Sports for the GT once the Pirelli PZero's are done. :D

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Well, I just committed to another year + of RS3s. None of the others were available and with the start of my autoX season less than a month away with two corded street tires, I didn't have a choice. (That, and I'd rather not have a blow out while I'm driving someplace.) Who knows, perhaps the weather will be great and I can run the roadster all year on the r-compounds and not have to worry about tires on the M3, but in the event that something goes wrong with that plan, having a backup car that is capable of winning the class on hand is never a bad thing.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    I guess I should rephrase--FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD, they are a DECENT track tire. The Star Spec is better.

    I have read everything from them being very near dedicated track tires (Star Spec equivalent) but falling just short, to them overheating and getting sloppy. Nobody has touted them as equivalent or better than a track tire, and given the amount of variables involved when comparing tires I'd be inclined to say that they are decent, but not amazing. They also likely last longer than the typical track tire--only the outside 1/5 of the tire is a soft compound, supposedly at negligible performance detriment, so it's a cool compromise.

    I can only keyboard jockey so much. Go buy a set and see for yourself. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • kts
    replied
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    Really? A lot of guys with bigger/heavier cars seem to use them to great effect.
    Yea I'd also think they are a good track tire considering how many Lemons teams use them. Lemons/Chump have minimum tread wear rules so its been pretty much the Z1s or RT615ks as the only options until now but they seem to keep their stick and wear well with the Lemons cars I know.

    Sure not an R comp but a lot more affordable.

    Leave a comment:

Working...