No announcement yet.

Wisefab Lock Kit for race applications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get the road/race kit from SLR which does not include his arms I think.
    Drifter??? High Quality Rack Spacers.

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
      It will be mostly hillclimbs time attacks. It is more a comfort thing then a function change. Obviously I can do with our it but would be nice not having to cross hands over to make sharp turns. Just wanted to see if anyone sore any disadvantages in it.

Yes it was designed for drift but dose not mean it can not be used for racing.
      Wisefab kit was designed with one of my clients in europe for full professional drifting. There was no intention of having a front sway bar in the initial design; however anything can be adapted.

Realistically if the desire is to have a Hillclimb car; more steering angle is not really needed; massive power and AERO is. huge steering angle is DRIFT stuff; if you are drifting while attempting to hillclimb then something is wrong with the footwork setup (or the driver just really wishes he was a drifter)

if going for more angle from a Stock BMW rack a Z4 rack (unpowered), or z4m rack (powered) or e46m rack would hit both targets of MORE ANGLE and QUICKER RATIO.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
        First of all, the wisefab kit doesn't effect steering ratio at all. All it changes is the angle the wheels move from turning the steering wheel the same amount.
        Wut That is the steering ratio, and it is changed... You turn the steering wheel this much ___ and the wheel turns this much __.

It does change it, but I does look like all these kits are more designed for drifting not real racing.

All the OP really needs is something like the end piece that connects to the strut housing and changes the pivot location and or the tie rod location closer together.

Comment

^ this.

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
          Looks like there is a hole for the sway bar, and if not it is not hard to drill one.
          The link specifically states there is no provision for an endlink/swaybar, and I'm typically against arbitrarily drilling holes in critical suspension components. But as wangan said, you could definitely find a way.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            ^ this.

The link specifically states there is no provision for an endlink/swaybar, and I'm typically against arbitrarily drilling holes in critical suspension components. But as wangan said, you could definitely find a way.

M3 sway bar links attach between Strut housing and sway bar............

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Haoming, geometry would be severely off if using the m3 setup for the sway bar with the wheels being so far out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                Wut That is the steering ratio, and it is changed... You turn the steering wheel this much ___ and the wheel turns this much __.
                The OP was looking for 1 turn lock to lock. What I meant thaw hat I said was that if you have to turn 3 times lock to lock now, you will still need to turn 3 turns lock to lock with the wisefab kit. The ratio of wheel to steering wheel input will change, but you won't get less turns.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                  Haoming, geometry would be severely off if using the m3 setup for the sway bar with the wheels being so far out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                  Of course ; as wise fab is designed suspension rates and motion to DELETE THE FRONT BAR.

Frankly the idea of using drift parts on a hill climb car is only interesting if the car is drifting up the hillclimb like the mad mike rx7 4 rotor animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if those SLR control arms are the same dimensions as OEM... they could be a relatively cheap way to correct roll center on non-M cars.

Also as far as getting a 1:1 ratio, look into steering ratio quickeners.
                    -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                      M3 sway bar links attach between Strut housing and sway bar............
                      Welcome to page 1 :p

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      ...even if you strut mounted something, the extra distance (horizontally) to the strut would cause issues with endlinks in fitment, life, and leverage on the swaybar.

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                      I wonder if those SLR control arms are the same dimensions as OEM... they could be a relatively cheap way to correct roll center on non-M cars.

I̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶b̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶O̶E̶M̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶k̶n̶u̶c̶k̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶

I take that back, I didn't look very closely at the SLR setup. definitely looks more promising than the wisefab, and if it doesn't add tons of camber( or if you can order them with shorter arms) then it may be a cheap bump steer/roll center correction setup.
                      Last edited by Northern; 11-20-2013, 07:26 PM.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Amusingly, for road racing, I found that lots of camber (up to -5 degrees for racing radials) and
                        a ton of caster (10+ or more) lowered lap times consistently.

1 turn lock- to- lock would have turned me into the incredible Hulk. Or dead meat.

As it is, the stock E30 ratio is a bit too high for comfort (as in, it's like steering a bus)
                        However, the stock 2002 ratio works just fine, and it's not much higher than the E30.

So if we were allowed, I'd run a z3/z4/whatever rack that lowered the ratio a bit.
                        And call it good.

If we were allowed to modify the trailing arm geometry, however, i'd do that in a heartbeat.
                        But we're not.

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I think some are a bit confused with what I am trying to acheve here. I do not want more steering angle I simply want to be able to got 1 turn lock to lock with maybe slightly less steering angle then Stock.

I am not looking for made steering angle for mad drifto. I want to be able to keep my hand on the steering wheel the whole time with out having to cross my hands over. As I mentioned it is not a necessity more of a want.

The SLR kit dose look more fitted, to what I want. plus it is cheaper. It is just a thought for now as my car is years away from running again.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't know about the road race kit but I know the SLR drift kit has a possible 3 inches wider control arm at full adjustment over stock e30 arms.
                            :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                              If the only thing you want is a quicker ratio steering, mount a steering multiplier into your steering column.
                              Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

^^^Problem solved

With something like this on my 95 m3 rack I'd be roughly 1.5T lock to lock. get a z3 with a quickener and you'd be at around 1.35T LTL...........I might buy one of these hahaha
                                Last edited by IronFreak; 11-21-2013, 08:39 AM.
                                sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Working...
                                X