Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    9lives has been a staple in the racing community for a while. Worth the price tag if you want to be competitive.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    I talked to Johnny. (Nice guy) They run the wing 65" wide and 16" above the trunk. Legal for NASA, SCCA and BMW CCA. Got mine on order.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Talk to Johnny at 9 Lives, he runs with NASA a lot and can point you in the right direction. I agree, you probably don't go 6" above the roof with the wing.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Here's some data on the 9Lives wing.

The price and availability of aerodynamic car wings are making them more common in crap-can endurance racing. You can buy a cheap extruded aluminum wing on eBay, Amazon, or other online retailers f…

Leave a comment:

• moatilliatta
    replied
    I wouldn't go over the roof, And that wing doesn't look to efficient posted above.

Thoroughly tested and race-proven wing elements available in custom lengths with custom mounting tab design and spacing to fit existing wing uprights. Downforce and drag data for each wing design is published to help you make the best choice to suit your needs.

Leave a comment:

• dvallis
    replied
    Necro-Bump for this thread. Anyone know the legal width for an E30 wing in NASA and SCCA?

NASA Super Touring rules only have a width restriction for ST4. (We'll be ST3 by my calculations.) Height is limited to 8" over roof line
    SCCA GCR 2021 calls out 65-5/16" for most classes. Height seems to be all over the place.

I measured the car width as 64.2". Internet sources call out 64.4" - 64.7"

So, I'm thinking 64" wing from 9Lives with an adjustable mount, flush with roof (18" rise) or 6" over roof (24" rise).

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• haaken675
    replied
    Originally posted by flier129 View Post
    Also, very relevant to this post and forum. E30 wáng kits are actually ready: https://9livesracing.com/products/e30-big-wang-kit
    Already ordered mine!

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    Raytheon, yes the rocket company, does the coating on our splitters and wangs. NA/NB are the only splitters we have currently,we're looking into other markets as well. We also offer a PDF template for those who wish to DiY the splitter with their own material. It's pretty close to that, lol. Something relatively inexpensive, holds up to weather/sun, and somewhat durable. Bed-liner or similar polymer is pretty popular, which helps costs.
    That's super, I just met with a friend from Raytheon today oddly enough.

Leave a comment:

• Sh3rpak!ng
    replied
    Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post

Onshape is free and what I use. The only stipulation if you don't want to pay is that all your work is public and can be accessed/copied by others. I messaged you on IG (Saltybeast) and my offer still stands to share the models with you if you'd like.
    Thanks! I thought I saw a message from you, but now its gone I will PM you

Quick thought, what reasons are there to have that splitter so short and not go back further towards the front axle? The oil-pan is pretty low right, but you can cut around that. The reason I ask is because we've seen yuge gains on CFD data from extending the bottom of the splitter back as far as possible, on multiple chassis.

We've(9LR) been testing several materials on our NA/NB miata aero packages. 1/2" polymer coated birch, 10mm alumalight, and tegris have seen the best results. We've settled on 1/2" birch coated with...... "rocket nozzle" polymer It requires less mounting points than alumalite and just a tad heavier. Not too far off weight after we did some stress-testing on the birch and removed the material...

Also, very relevant to this post and forum. E30 wáng kits are actually ready: https://9livesracing.com/products/e30-big-wang-kit
    I do plan on continuing the flat underbody, so it'll connect to the splitter. I wanted to make the actual splitter separate so if/when it gets smashed I can just swap in a fresh panel. Also so I could play with lengths, mainly to make a shorter option for driving around town.

Kinda reminds me of Line-x? I wonder how line-xed plywood would holdup... or is that essentially what you're doing?

Yes big wang kits are definitely of interest... I was eyeing the "builders kit" as I'd like to make my own mounts when the time comes...

Leave a comment:

• flier129
    replied
    Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
    is that coating proprietary? I really like your stuff
    Raytheon, yes the rocket company, does the coating on our splitters and wangs. NA/NB are the only splitters we have currently,we're looking into other markets as well. We also offer a PDF template for those who wish to DiY the splitter with their own material.

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    Looks like bedliner.
    It's pretty close to that, lol. Something relatively inexpensive, holds up to weather/sun, and somewhat durable. Bed-liner or similar polymer is pretty popular, which helps costs.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Looks like bedliner.

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    is that coating proprietary? I really like your stuff

Leave a comment:

• flier129
    replied
    Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
    Thoughts?
    Quick thought, what reasons are there to have that splitter so short and not go back further towards the front axle? The oil-pan is pretty low right, but you can cut around that. The reason I ask is because we've seen yuge gains on CFD data from extending the bottom of the splitter back as far as possible, on multiple chassis.

We've(9LR) been testing several materials on our NA/NB miata aero packages. 1/2" polymer coated birch, 10mm alumalight, and tegris have seen the best results. We've settled on 1/2" birch coated with...... "rocket nozzle" polymer It requires less mounting points than alumalite and just a tad heavier. Not too far off weight after we did some stress-testing on the birch and removed the material...

Last edited by flier129; 11-22-2019, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ian e30 318is
    replied
    I picked up a 1/4" piece of ABS this past weekend that I will test out. It's several magnitudes more rigid than the 1/8" and should provide nice impact resistance. None of the local sign shops with dibond or alumalite are open on the weekends or weekdays past 5pm which makes it near impossible for me to pickup.

That's a nice piece. I just fixed my computer and am looking for a "light" CAD program to do simple drawings for parts like this. Any suggestions?
    Onshape is free and what I use. The only stipulation if you don't want to pay is that all your work is public and can be accessed/copied by others. I messaged you on IG (Saltybeast) and my offer still stands to share the models with you if you'd like.

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    I picked up a 1/4" piece of ABS this past weekend that I will test out. It's several magnitudes more rigid than the 1/8" and should provide nice impact resistance. None of the local sign shops with dibond or alumalite are open on the weekends or weekdays past 5pm which makes it near impossible for me to pickup.

That's a nice piece. I just fixed my computer and am looking for a "light" CAD program to do simple drawings for parts like this. Any suggestions?
    You might be able to get Auto desk inventor for students, it last 3 years. Just fill the form out and say your in community college.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X