Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitalwave
    replied
    The spoiler doesn't produce downforce, it reduces drag on the rear end. It wouldn't make the car feel light if you took it off, but perhaps it would lower your top speed by a couple mph. That said, it is probably a very small difference.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post
    Driven on track is there a noticable difference between no spoiler and the OEM spoilers?

No. I have driven e30's to terminal velocity (~134mph with no draft, ~160whp) and there's many other things that cause the car to feel "light" than an OEM spoiler. Funny thing is, though, if your car was NOT equipped with one, you get points deducted for them in Time Trials, which makes no sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• ak-
    replied
    Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post
    Driven on track is there a noticable difference between no spoiler and the OEM spoilers?
    The OEM 'is' spoiler? There will be a difference, but you'd probably have to be acquainted with the feeling of driving the car at its limit all the time to notice (probably still won't lol).
    Spoilers redirect air that causes unfavorable behaviors like rear-end lift at high speed. So I'd rather have it on and not feel anything, than have it off knowing it's not doing anything.

Leave a comment:

• FRODADDY
    replied

Leave a comment:

• haaken675
    replied
    So I am finally getting to the point in my build where I can actually think about aero. I plan on doing a front splitter, rear diffuser as I no longer have a spare tire well, and a gt wing. Does anyone know if it makes a big enough difference in wing height? I was looking at an APR GT-250 or an APR GTC-300, but it looks like total height is somewhere around 13 inches. Roofline is somewhere around 17-18 inches. This height is achieved with their standard 11 inch pedestals. Apparently that being said, they offer a 14 inch pedestal that I could custom order that would likely bring the total height to around 16.5 inches.

Would that work better, especially if I went with the 2d shape of the GT-250 wing?

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    Personally, I love the airfoil- shaped strapping and tubing
    that experimental planes now use instead of wire and pipe...

t

Leave a comment:

• SOneThreeCoupe
    replied
    Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    Bump.

Anyone have any updates to share? This thread was great.
    A piece of formed lexan spanning from bumper to leading edge of the hood would help reduce some of the pressure build-up- the M3 Evo bumper seal probably helps this a little without looking like a bag of smashed arseholes.

Venting the front fenders (by cutting at about halfway between body line and trim and bending inward) would be a plus, controlling airflow into and out of the radiator (and the engine compartment as a whole) would be a plus, fences on a larger (as big as the rules and aero balance allow), flatter (depends on whether or not the car sees puddles on track or is soft enough to bottom) splitter would be a plus, spats to keep the leading edge of the tires out of airflow would be a plus, smaller mirrors would be a plus, no wipers or single wiper conversion would be a plus, smooth trim with no indicators or plate depression would be a plus, skirts, partial undertray and fences to the "frame rails" would be a plus, welding the fog light holes closed would be a plus, a modified Hartge H35 front airdam would be a plus, headlight covers mounted flush with the grille would be a plus, bigger wing end plates would increase efficiency of the wing allowing less angle, etc.

You can always just add horsepower but a lot of the above is fairly cheap. Even the 1/16" alloy sunroof delete panel with rivets is draggy and reducing the efficiency of the rear wing.

No matter what you do, never, ever use wire in airflow to brace a wing or a splitter. It's silly draggy.

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    The flares look like the IE version of the 2002 turbo flares...

t

Leave a comment:

• Wolfman
    replied
    Originally posted by pmachan View Post
    What lower valance/splitter is that? Looks like an M3 one, I need something similar for my non-m e30.
    I have a decent wing, but nothing up front, and I need some help there for sure.

Factory "is" front lip with "Ryan G" splitter

Leave a comment:

• stealthbeam
    replied
    What Over fenders are those?

Leave a comment:

• pmachan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
    I got a couple things brewing, more pics to follow once I finish the rear set up.
    What lower valance/splitter is that? Looks like an M3 one, I need something similar for my non-m e30.
    I have a decent wing, but nothing up front, and I need some help there for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Bump.

Anyone have any updates to share? This thread was great.

Leave a comment:

• RoccoB517
    replied
    Originally posted by AirDoc View Post
    Rocco - massive progression on your car..nice. What kind of times can you get at Rd Atl?

Thanks, it's been a ton of work. No clean laps, unfortunately. I'd like to know what it can do as well. I think I ran a 1:39 on an outlap.

Leave a comment:

• AirDoc
    replied
    Rocco - massive progression on your car..nice. What kind of times can you get at Rd Atl?

Leave a comment:

• RoccoB517
    replied
    Lee at Massive is getting me all set up with his kits to accomodate Wilwood 4 piston rears and 4 piston radially mounted fronts on 11.75x1.25 rotors all around. Those, some G-loc pads, and a big ass new wing and we'll be in business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X