No announcement yet.

Let's talk about track day brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The noise is definitely confidence inspiring.
    I run 17x8 Apex arc8's. With 235 Toyo Proxe rr's.
    15's and 16's won't fit over these brakes.
    Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Something to consider:

Rotor cost vs Pads.

With racing, I would happily sacrifice rotors over pads. Rotors are something like $13 a pop vs $300 for pads. You can eat a lot of rotors in a season of PRO3 before it becomes cost prohibitive..

Unless you are one of those people who still think drilled rotors are Racecar! ;)
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
        Something to consider:

Rotor cost vs Pads.

With racing, I would happily sacrifice rotors over pads. Rotors are something like $13 a pop vs $300 for pads. You can eat a lot of rotors in a season of PRO3 before it becomes cost prohibitive..

Unless you are one of those people who still think drilled rotors are Racecar! ;)

Where are you getting $13 rotors? I paid twice that for mine, and they were duralasts
        Originally posted by flyboyx
        how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
        Originally posted by Northern
        beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
        Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
        Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
        '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
        Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
          Where are you getting $13 rotors? I paid twice that for mine, and they were duralasts
          Rockauto has a pretty good selection of $12-$20 rotors, but any of the cheap online parts stores (partsgeek, autopartswarehouse, etc...) will have cheap rotors. I always just order from whoever is cheapest at the time.

I run the $13 rotors on our Lemons car as well as on my v8 e30. I have over 250k miles on a few sets of those cheap rotors over the past 15 years, never had any issues with any of them.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            Rockauto has a pretty good selection of $12-$20 rotors, but any of the cheap online parts stores (partsgeek, autopartswarehouse, etc...) will have cheap rotors. I always just order from whoever is cheapest at the time.

I run the $13 rotors on our Lemons car as well as on my v8 e30. I have over 250k miles on a few sets of those cheap rotors over the past 15 years, never had any issues with any of them.

Hm. What make are these cheap rotors usually? Just out of curiosity.. I'll definitely look around again when it's time to do rotors on either of my E30s
            how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
              Hm. What make are these cheap rotors usually? Just out of curiosity.. I'll definitely look around again when it's time to do rotors on either of my E30s
              Pronto, Centric, Wagner , etc...

They're all G3000 grade castings, so they'll all work the same for most of us. If it was a $100k race car, I'd opt for one of the pricey discs...
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Good info.

Sticky worthy thread?

Comment

If it was a $100k race car, I'd opt for one of the pricey discs...
                  Ironically, the more expensive Brembos tend to crack early and often on racey cars...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yep. Here's one of the front (Brembo) rotors off the E30 I drove at the VIR 24 earlier this month. That one had to get changed in the pits, then the other one a couple hours later.

The pads were PFC 08s.

Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

...and yet the $13 rotors seem to last for at least 2 sets of pads, if you're a cheapskate...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Figured it would chime in here with the beaters experience. I have run HT10, PFC08 and DTC60s. The DTC60s are the only ones that remain consistant no matter what till theyre gone. I lynch rotors on a daily basis at the track though no matter the brand. I have cooling ducts. At the end of the day its a problem of overall grip. Im running 205 star specs and the tires after a few laps are done under braking and i am forced to annilate them to get the damn car to stop. Im running consistant 145s at RA. Best time a 1:43.8
                        I am forced to go 5 lug now. I bet if i had stickies or 225s up front it wouldnt destroy the brakes as bad but i like beating up on people with more power and tire with my little turd ;)

Was sessioning my college roomates car while he chased me in mine and he had HP+s. Didnt end well. His car is basically same as mine but GC coilovers and FBO alum M52.
                        Left 10A at 110mph and pulled ebrake. If anyone here knows Road Atlanta i made it all the way to the bridge before i stopped :(.

Plenty of pad, just lit them on fire. Wheel wells went up in flames after caliper piston popped out.

Caused 3500 in damage and i didnt even hit anything technically :(

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Dave, I dont know what your overall plans are, but I have run massive brakes for 3+ years on my 4 lug setup without any complaints. I used to burn through pads and rotors like you, and now I can go 15+ weekends on a set of pads and rotors, and thats turning 1:40s at RA in a swapped e30 like yours. Very cost effective.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                          Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                          Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Massive != UUC right?

Whats the cost like? I would love to stay 4 lug, just getting pretty tired of not being able to stop.

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                            Full Product Line Tuning
                            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Massive = Lee. He makes a lot of adaptors and such to use off- the- shelf parts.

t

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                                Massive != UUC right?

Whats the cost like? I would love to stay 4 lug, just getting pretty tired of not being able to stop.
                                They are pretty expensive once you get into the race kits. But the replacement parts (rotors/seals/etc) are really cheap. I love the life span of the pads, but the wilwood calipers flex quite a bit and cause the pads to wear uneven. And yeah sorry, I mean massive brakes.

If you are planning on redoing your suspension at some point and dont have a lot of wheels / tires accumulated yet, I think that e36/e46 stuff makes more sense. But in my case, I had too much invested in my 4 lug setup to make a switch.
                                Either way, not upgrading to a proper BBK is false economy. You end up spending more in the long run. I made my investment back within 3 years when I look at how much I used to spend on consumables vs what I spend now.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                                Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                                Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Working...
                                X