Another Street/AutoX Pads for Stock Calipers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Street/AutoX Pads for Stock Calipers Thread

I'm one of the suckers currently running Hawk HPS on my car, and while they don't dust and seem to last damn near forever, I'm sick of the terrible braking confidence.
    I previously ran Hawk HP+ and they were just a hair too aggressive for the street for me - the constant squealing at anything less than hard braking was too embarrassing while driving through more crowded areas.

Now I'm once again looking for relatively aggressive pads for stock calipers for primarily street duty, with weekly autox and maybe an HPDE/lapping day or two. From other threads (circa 5 years ago) I've found the following recommendations:

Porterfield R4-S
    PFC Z-Rated
    Hawk HP+ (will they be significantly quieter with some ant-squeal paste?)
    Hawk DTC-30 (supposedly nearly the same as HP+?)
    Carbotech AX6
    Various OEM pads: Pagid/Textar/etc.

Some of these I can't even find for an e30, and other threads are peppered with RX7 caliper and other BBK pads that seem to work their way in.
    I'm also very worried about the "HPS effect" of biased opinions from running only one pad and having no reference point to compare it with other than the burned out pads they replaced.

So, stock caliper autox people: What are you running, how do/don't you like it, and what other pads have you run that you can compare the experience against? Bonus points if you link me to where you purchased them
    Last edited by Northern; 06-25-2019, 07:08 AM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

For autocross, just run stock pads--Jurid is my favorite, you can really see the quality. I'm a PFC fanboi for track, but they're loud and dusty just like any other track pad.

HP+ just suck.

If you're having problems with "braking confidence" it may or may not be the pads.

Comment

Try the Stoptech Sport pad. They have enough temperature resistance for AX but are "mild" enough for street use. The ST Sports will have a higher friction level than standard OEM street pads but also have good cold bite. No noise on the street (that I've noticed) and low dust.
      1990 M3

Comment

A few other threads had recommended OEM Jurid/Pagid/etc, so I went with Pagids. We'll see how they turn out. Realistically, anything is better than the HPS I had. Somehow after 9 years they still had nearly half thickness...

Comment

I just went through two sets of DS2500 like nothing.
          Stopping power was also rather mediocre.
          As I couldn’t get anything descent quick enough, I will try ebc Blue Stuff on the next one.
          1990 kashmir beige BMW e30 327i
          muggello rot BMW e36 M3 Gruppe A Euro
          1990 GP weiss Porsche 964 C2
          1997 schwarz II BMW e36 328iS supercharged

Comment

I've used StopTech on my GTI, Miata, and C5 and loved them. They handle high heat really well.
            Used them in the C5 for three years at AutoX.

I do things.

Comment

I've been running the R4-S based on their recommendation from Dave Zeckhausen. They've been OK on the street so far, no better than any other sporty street pad I've tried. I'll have to bed them in really well, when I put them back on. I just ran PCF-08s for a track day and when I took the Porterfields off I could tell they weren't getting great contact with the rotor. A couple track sessions and the drive home with the PCF-08s should produce a nicer surface for me to bed the Porterfields in on, maybe they'll be better after that.

What is it about your brakes that doesn't give confidence? You can run slotted and/or drilled rotors for more bite. If you're not doing a lot of track days you don't need to worry about the rotors cracking due to the cross drilling.

Comment

Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post
                I just went through two sets of DS2500 like nothing.
                Stopping power was also rather mediocre.
                As I couldn’t get anything descent quick enough, I will try ebc Blue Stuff on the next one.
                I'm using EBC Bluestuff NDX on my track e36, one set gone, bought second one, and I like how they perform, no fading on fast tracks after many laps(with motul 5.1 fluid), and not too powerful when using on gravel etc.
                a bit aggressive on brake discs, but acceptable.
                http://instagram.com/mundieriss
                my 88' m20b30 HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  A few other threads had recommended OEM Jurid/Pagid/etc, so I went with Pagids. We'll see how they turn out. Realistically, anything is better than the HPS I had. Somehow after 9 years they still had nearly half thickness...
                  Quick update on the Pagids - I don't understand how they feel so good vs the Hawk HPS. I think it's just how bad the HPS really are, but damn I did not expect this much of a difference.

Comment

Quick update on the Pagids - I don't understand how they feel so good vs the Hawk HPS. I think it's just how bad the HPS really are, but damn I did not expect this much of a difference.
                    I've run the Pagids at a couple HPDEs and I've been very impressed. With Motul 5.1 brake fluid, I had no brake fade after 8 ~25 minute sessions (about 170 miles of on track driving). In addition, when I checked the pads after the event there was even wear and no crumbling. It's certainly not a track pad, but for the 2 HPDEs I attend a year they are good enough for my purposes (primarily a street driven car). Great feel and longevity for street driving as well.

Comment

I need pads for this exact purpose and stumbled in here. Are you guys talking about these?

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Yeah those are the same. I ordered them from rockauto, $25.79 USD per axle. Their site is weird in that both sets only show up under a 1988 325i

Comment

i am using DTC-30 on the street which i actually like, some squeal at times and the odd groan/grind but nothing that makes them unlivable like the HP+ are said to be. the dust is major PITA but just keep on top of it and its manageable. they haven't eaten the rotors and you don't need to warm them up just normal driving gets them working.

i'm planning to do a Massive twin MC install so running them boosterless that's why i went with something fairly aggressive. i have the dynapro calipers and 280x22 discs so pad compound availability is not huge
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

How are you liking the Pagids now, a year later? Im thinking of getting new pads for autocross as well.

Comment

Still like them as much as the day I switched.
                              For something that's primarily a street car, I like them a lot, but also remember I came from running hawk HPS sponges for like 6 years so I can't give a good comparison to other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X