Ultimate auto-x wheel & tire combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate auto-x wheel & tire combo

I imagine there will be some variability here in opinions...maybe give your top two. Base them on traction, weight, price and aesthetics (in order of importance). Non-spacer wheels w/ 4x100 bolt pattern preferred.
    sigpic
    An unlucky E30 I came across in Rotterdam, Holland

Anything light and 15x10.5" wide. 275 35 15 Hoosiers.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

I think a big clarification needs to be made. What class would this be for? Street tires? R-Comps? or Slicks? I would say for R-comps the Hoosier A6 in a 275/35 15 with some custom 15x9 or 15x10s...and some crazy flares to cover them.
      - Brenden Selvig

“There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”-Stirling Moss

Comment

under stock fenders 225/45/15 hoosier A6 on 15x8 et 15-20

Comment

So to clarify, let's narrow it down to stock fenders and R-comps or Slicks.
          sigpic
          An unlucky E30 I came across in Rotterdam, Holland

Comment

225/50-14 hoosiers and 14"x6.5 basketweaves

cheap, light and effective. you RWD guys will need a small spacer up front to clear the strut but it's not a big deal (you should have studs if you are changing wheels often anyway).
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              I have run these on my car. I used an 8mm spacer up front, should have been a 10-12mm and needs a 3-5mm in the rear. Great setup, I would recommend...
              - Brenden Selvig

“There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”-Stirling Moss

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

cheap, light and effective. you RWD guys will need a small spacer up front to clear the strut but it's not a big deal (you should have studs if you are changing wheels often anyway).
                +1 But you need to get out and auto-x on your street tires first to get used to it. IMHO
                :: PNW Crew ::
                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
                  +1 But you need to get out and auto-x on your street tires first to get used to it. IMHO
                  Agreed this will be my first year on Rcomps in SM after 2 years in STX....

As long as i get the S50 in... otherwise ill be running some 205/50/14 on baskets in GS...
                  Dan Zickel
                  1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by gry demon325 View Post
                    I have run these on my car. I used an 8mm spacer up front, should have been a 10-12mm and needs a 3-5mm in the rear. Great setup, I would recommend...
                    + 1. same set up.

Ive got two sets of A3S05's in this size. Should last me until the end of this season, lol :(

Originally posted by vlad
                    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                      + 1. same set up.

Ive got two sets of A3S05's in this size. Should last me until the end of this season, lol :(
                      damn how often do you go? one set usually lasts me a season and a bit more.. it is nice to have new tires though :)
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

275/35/15. 15x10's. What I beleive would be the best grip to weight ratio....
                        285/30/18 on 18x10's. Heavier and taller. A little big bigger contact patch. Gearing concerns come up. For better or worse--same deal with all choices actually.
                        All out no holds barred don't car what it looks like and I have a shit ton O'HP, so I need it combo.................18x10's 285/30/18's in front 17x11's 315/35/17's in the rear..........315 is quite a bit taller but with alot of HP and gearing that doesn't matter. Stick to the shorter 285 up front.....
                        With the new breed of tire, you are faster with a big cool tire, than a small smokin' hot tire. Temperature concerns come up from old timers using the older Hoosier autox tire.
                        sigpic

88 325is

Comment

subscribed
                          (newb in training, i drift junkyard 195-205tires with an s52. i need some tire lessons)
                          No more e30s for me.
                          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]
                          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

What does the rear quarter area look like structurally inside the rear outter skin and between the inner fender? I wonder how much you can lower the car with a 25.5" tall tire back there......FWIW a 305/30/18 is a little shorter than a 315.

I'm still kickin' around the idea of goin' the steam roller route.
                            sigpic

88 325is

Comment

You could very easily cut the wheel opening out and weld the seam back up and get HUGE flairs put on.
                              :: PNW Crew ::
                              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Working...
                              X