Historical Plates: Pros/Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical Plates: Pros/Cons

Has anyone been pulled over & questioned in CA for historic plates? I’ve read tips like: Have a list of local shops handy, in case you need to explain where you’re going… But have any of you actually ever had to excuse why or where you are taking your car? …I’m considering registering my ‘89 E30 for the geezers club. 😂
    1989 325is ✨

probably can't drive it more than a certain mileage a year.

Comment

I have studied it for years and the big perk was the emissions testing loophole that was closed many years ago. Now the only perk is having a low cost "Historic" plate. You are only supposed to use the car for display or parades. I've never heard of people getting harrassed about it though. Who is to say you aren't going to a shop or car show? Unless you are driving late at night or something, which I tend to do since I work nights. I opted not to get them as that's another $25/year just for historic plates and I don't believe the annual registration is discounted like in other states. You also have to submit evidence of historical significance and hope they accept it. I just got a personalized plate for my M tech since the original is showing it's age and needed to be replaced.
      Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-06-2021, 10:42 AM.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Update: My E30 finally has CA historical plates!

It took some back-and-forth because my registration wasn't up to date (that part was my fault.) But I got the plates and put them on—So far everything is gravy.

Things I have learned / can share from this experience in California:
        • Did not have to show the car in person for any "period-correct" inspection.
          • All done online or thru the mail.
        • Yearly registration fee is slightly cheaper.
        • Historical status is permanent & cannot be un-done, at least while registered in California.​
        • Car should only be driven for maintenance / club / exhibition purposes...technically.
          • It's not my daily driver, so I don't expect any issue.
          • After reading many other car forums, I found zero mention of citations / police hassle about this rule.
        • Smog check is still required regardless of historic status.
          • Only cars older than 1976 are smog exempt in CA. Historical status does not affect this.
        BEST PART IMHO: The plates look sweet! Goes great with my Zinno red E30.

Definitely getting more people at stop lights yelling out "Hey cool car! What's with the plates??"
        1989 325is ✨

Comment

I thought about it for a while too, but I don't want the DMV to decide where I can and cannot drive my car.

Also the fact that it cannot be undone is weird..

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

we have collector plates here. it changes your insurance status on the car, requiring extra or third party insurance above the basic insurance but is a reasonable cost increase for an older car. there are no real restrictions on use. it's not a huge advantage over carrying extra third party insurance on regular plates and registration.

if you have several vehicles though you can transfer the plate itself from car to car, so long as each car carries its own separate insurance and registration. it's almost like a dealer plate when the car is on the road. you can even get the plate personalized.

edit : it gets a bit stupid, people using a collector plate will often get their daily or winter beater put on the same plate. you'll see 20 yr old crapped out rusty kias and hyundais or brand new bland people mover suvs on collector plates. it's a bit funny.
            Last edited by 82eye; 01-31-2024, 10:34 AM.

Comment

"Historic" plates in my area used to give you a break on the annual registration costs. Since they've now abolished the annual reg costs completely, there is no reason to have a historic plate.

There are specific restrictions on when a Historic plated vehicle can be used as well, limiting you basically to car shows and sunday drives.

Classic car insurance (Hagerty) does not require a Historic plate in my area.

Comment

Working...
              X