SF Bay Area Any1 Have Code Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SF Bay Area Any1 Have Code Reader

I am having trouble diagnosing running issues with my 325i. Apologies for long post, but I want to avoid questions I already have answers to. Car purchased 6 months ago and found lots of mostly minor issues and leaks. It idled rough when I bought it, but overall ran pretty well and did pass smog.
    Other than oil leaks fixes which there were many of, the crank position sensor was replaced with a bmw replacement because the old one was frayed. Timing belt was replaced as well as new distributor cap and rotor. Ignition wires in very good shape. All fuel and vacuum rubber bits were thoroughly checked out and replaced if needed. Especially vacuum lines around throttle body. Intake gaskets AND bitch tube o rings replaced and all associated areas cleaned. Bolts properly torqued to spec and bitch tube inserted correctly.

Throttle body was disassembled, cleaned, and new sealed bearings were installed very successfully. I took tons of pictures and this project went very well. The original bearings weren't sealing anymore and were a source of vacuum leak and new ones are air tight. TPS sensor checked for all 3 conditions (idle, mid throttle and WOT).

A check engine light came on during startup, but not right away. I made sure the CPS was OE spec distance from the trigger wheel. I have checked all connections to TPS, CPS, inductor, plug wires, coolant sensors inc blue one for dme.Valves were adjusted to .010" cold and rechecked before startup.

Car starts normally hot or cold but idles rough. If a small amount of throttle is held, the rpms move around in an irregular fashion (hunting essentially). Overall its bad enough I will not drive the car.

So I suspect the CEL is trying to tell me something and here's the main reason for this post. I have tried about 100 times to get the stomp test to work and it just will not blink for me. Since my car is an '88 I even checked to make sure I have the dme with motronic 1.3 (#173). My buddy, a fellow e30 owner, also could not get the stomp test to work despite many tries of different techniques. I checked that the throttle body is fulling closing and that the idle switch turns off when its supposed to, since I read that can prevent the stomp test from working. Once again also checked WOT position on TPS. ICV was cleaned and checked for operation.

Anyone in the SF bay area have an e30 code reader I can borrow? Really trying to get this thing on the road and I seemingly have checked everything I can imagine. Idle is rougher than when I bought the car, and its running worse so it must be something I did...despite tons of vacuum related stuff being fixed vs before.

if you have a crap idle and your stomp test is not working, but your TPS is reading ok at its switch, you should check the TPS inputs at the ECU plug - there may be a discontinuity in the harness.

there aren't code readers that will do much of anything with an M20 ECU.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Yea I was planning on checking that soon. My understanding is you can use the e30 specific code readers to get a 4 digit code, and if someone is only a short drive away I figured it was worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Sedan View Post
        Yea I was planning on checking that soon. My understanding is you can use the e30 specific code readers to get a 4 digit code, and if someone is only a short drive away I figured it was worth a shot.
        you might be able to find an 80's snap on mt2500 or an updated 90's snap on solus that plugs into the diagnostic port in the engine bay and will give codes if the car is running. they require a connector and specific software which was separate from the code reader. they're not cheap even used but do pop up on ebay. the readers are useless without the bmw software and connector.

edit : maybe you can find someone who has it. i've been looking local or online for a deal since i've seen it lol.
        if i find one cheap enough i'm gonna buy it.
        Last edited by 82eye; 12-01-2023, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I moved back east a year ago, so I really can't help, but I have a Baum CS1000 that just reads codes and spits out a number that you lookup in a booklet. I also have Baum CS2000, which provides descriptions of the codes and can read the live data stream from your ECU. I REALLY like the CS2000 for how well it functions and that it's a cool old school tool.

If you get either, make sure you have the correct coding cartridge for BMWs. It's a little pricy for the tool, but it's also nice to have for future diagnostics.

sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
          X