This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    Safe to hold the engine up by the pan, jack and block of wood under the pan?
    Ghettoooooooooo.... Get an engine crane and do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by turge View Post
      Ghettoooooooooo.... Get an engine crane and do it properly.
      Engine stand is the proper way. Crane is for pulling
      HIT A LIL' NIGGA WITH A FREEZE POP

Originally posted by MÄDDNESSS
      i punched my boss last tuesday. so he fired me... waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Comment

Ugh, time for a new steering rack. Had an E36 96+M3 rack, but it sucked part of the failed high pressure line into it. Replaced hoses, res and pump just to double check it was the rack, as I know I hurt the pump driving without fluid after it happened on track at Streets of Willow.

In a way stoked, as now I get the rack I want, but not looking forward to changing racks in a swapped car.....

Yeah or the A/C bracket thing.
        Spread the weight if you use the oil pan like you said with a piece of wood.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Anyone have a write up for an early model fuel pump swap?

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by ninety4e36 View Post
            When I replaced my pan, I lifted the motor up slightly with an engine crane to hold it in place. I know you can lift it up by the pan if you have wood supporting it for replacing the rack, I just don't trust putting anything on the aluminum pan. They break wayyyy to easily.

Comment

Looks like I am going to buy a engine crane. I know the other way is "ghetto", but seems most home repairs are done the "ghetto" way: on jack stands. ;-)

Originally posted by ninety4e36 View Post
              Don't need the engine out, otherwise I would buy an engine stand if I were to rebuild this engine, which I want to do at some point anyway...Right now the engine is very healthy, but a 300hp NA S52 would be in the works once out. I think about selling this car so much to get something quicker on track, but the ease of maintenance on the e30s keeps me grounded in God's Chariot.

Found out I get about 13mpg on track days, including driving to and from. Carrying 3 tires on roof racks is also quite loud...and the car drives like a friggen SUV.
              Last edited by R3Z3N; 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Ugh, time for a new steering rack. Had an E36 96+M3 rack, but it sucked part of the failed high pressure line into it. Replaced hoses, res and pump just to double check it was the rack, as I know I hurt the pump driving without fluid after it happened on track at Streets of Willow.

In a way stoked, as now I get the rack I want, but not looking forward to changing racks in a swapped car.....

Are you going 2.7 z3? I just did it is amazing how much different it is than an e36 M3 rack. Oceanside motorsports found me a supplier and got me a Brand New z3 2.7 rack for under $700 with no core charge.

What is different about changing a rack in a swapped car? Either way the tabs on the subframe just bend down with a gentle pulling with a set of pliers and the rack just slides out without subframe removal or supporting the engine. Before you blast me as thats Ghetto its commonly accepted method for removal.

Comment

about to re-install vista on my comp. After 4 years feel slow now. Just taking forever putting all music on disk. So far im up to 6 dvd's (4.7gb's each) and maybe 3 togo. just music and pix...

Is it worth going windows 7 or keep it vista... I know vista is a bit slower but I can seem to find a legit site to DL 7 64bit to a dvd for install

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                    about to re-install vista on my comp. After 4 years feel slow now. Just taking forever putting all music on disk. So far im up to 6 dvd's (4.7gb's each) and maybe 3 togo. just music and pix...

Is it worth going windows 7 or keep it vista... I know vista is a bit slower but I can seem to find a legit site to DL 7 64bit to a dvd for install
                    Windows 7 FTW. Please don't install vista. Its retarded and possibly the worst OS windows ever wrote........FACT.

Loader: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6780109
                    » PARTS FOR SALE
                    » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

yeah, windows 7. ben shoot me a pm, i have a legit place where you can get it.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                      my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                        Windows 7 FTW. Please don't install vista. Its retarded and possibly the worst OS windows ever wrote........FACT.

Loader: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6780109
                        i figured that lol. I personally have never had any issues with vista. I was going to install more ram but was talked in to just a re fresh. In 4 years ive never done this.

Ill check out those torrents. Thanks. I know 7 runs fast on lower ram like xp. I will never go back to xp sorry, Just to old for me.

currently im running two gbs of ram and amd 64 single core ( not fast I know ) but its not worth going dual core since a newer better system will out perform what I have.

edit: im sure the OS 2000 me is wayyy worst. Ive been on comps since windows 95 was released

Comment

Your current specs will run Win 7 just fine.
                          Also PM travis for a better/safer source.

You will see how many issues vista has after you install the 7. LOL.
                          » PARTS FOR SALE
                          » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ftw. Never go with an even numbered Windows OS.
                            Last edited by turge; 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                              Your current specs will run Win 7 just fine.
                              Also PM travis for a better/safer source.

You will see how many issues vista has after you install the 7. LOL.
                              lol will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Ride View Post
                                Are you going 2.7 z3? I just did it is amazing how much different it is than an e36 M3 rack. Oceanside motorsports found me a supplier and got me a Brand New z3 2.7 rack for under $700 with no core charge.

What is different about changing a rack in a swapped car? Either way the tabs on the subframe just bend down with a gentle pulling with a set of pliers and the rack just slides out without subframe removal or supporting the engine. Before you blast me as thats Ghetto its commonly accepted method for removal.
                                If I can't find the blockage in the rack, a z3 rack will be going in with a custom cooling line in front of the AC condenser.

As to what is different, the pan is tighter in a swapped car. And no on bending metal....Not acceptable IMO. That weakens it incredibly.
                                Last edited by R3Z3N; 11-15-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X