This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
    this has been covered at least 10 times before lol. I'd say don't do it. Most of the cert mechanics I've talked to have told me the same. Moral of the story dont make your hobby your job. Typically I've noticed tuner shops tend to do a bit better than body/repair shops not sure what this has to do with anything.

It really depends on what capacity. I love my job.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
      It really depends on what capacity. I love my job.
      Agreed. It is a huge industry. I recommend starting as a mechanic. You gain a lot of practical knowledge and skill and learn a useful trade to fall back on. From there the world is your oyster. You can easily find something in the industry that is not related to your hobby so you don't burn out.

Free valve technology has been around for a little bit now. I wouldn't be surprised if bigger manufacturers are doing their own R&D on it and just not as open about it. Really though the more I learn about electric the more I find humor in the major manufacturers clenching onto the ICE.

Comment

SoCal General Chat

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
        Free valve technology has been around for a little bit now. I wouldn't be surprised if bigger manufacturers are doing their own R&D on it and just not as open about it. Really though the more I learn about electric the more I find humor in the major manufacturers clenching onto the ICE.
        I'd hate to say it, but electric is the future. I don't see any way or reason around it. If anything diesels may be the last of the ICEs to survive.
        Last edited by E30_Pare; 03-02-2014, 10:05 PM.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
          I'd hate to say it, but electric is the future. I don't see any way or reason around it. If anything diesels may be the last of the ICEs to survive.
          I didn't want to think about it before but once I opened my mind to it, the technology really is limitless. I mean right now you have one motor driving 2 wheels but think of the future when batteries and motors get smaller and more efficient. You could have 1 motor per wheel and have precise control over each wheel independently. Sort of like applying the theory of free valve to the drive-train. SOOOOO much control. Better power delivery, better braking and no $70 tanks of gas. I'll still keep my "old" cars seeing as electric doesn't have the same character nor does it deliver the experience of a ICE car but for pure performance and efficiency in commuting transportation it is really exciting.

Comment

Id rather go back to steam power lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

The already have cars with hub motors. There is even a 6 wheel car in Japan that's stupid fast.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
                I didn't want to think about it before but once I opened my mind to it, the technology really is limitless. I mean right now you have one motor driving 2 wheels but think of the future when batteries and motors get smaller and more efficient. You could have 1 motor per wheel and have precise control over each wheel independently. Sort of like applying the theory of free valve to the drive-train. SOOOOO much control. Better power delivery, better braking and no $70 tanks of gas. I'll still keep my "old" cars seeing as electric doesn't have the same character nor does it deliver the experience of a ICE car but for pure performance and efficiency in commuting transportation it is really exciting.
                they already have cars with an electric motor powering each wheel. take a look at the sls amg.

we'll be seeing a lot more cars like the p1 and the 918. hybrid, small turbo cars.
                Last edited by ethrtyiS; 03-03-2014, 04:11 AM.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                my feedback thread

Comment

The biggest hurdle has always been the battery with electric cars. As soon as companies develop a better storage system for harnessing and re-harnessing electrical energy repeatedly without destroying the environment or the costs in the process that will be the Achilles heel. The compressed air bit that he mentioned was an interesting twist to the equation but still far fetched as using hydrogen for fuel in comparison to electrical technology.

FYI if you haven't already watch the documentary on the first motorcycle electric running of the Isle of Man TT. Good stuff, I think it's called "charge."

Comment

Peugot made an air powered car 3 years ago. Something like 150 mile range.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

oh how i love top gear...

also, 8k post
                      ./

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                      my feedback thread

Comment

Morning people.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Spent Sunday drying out my e30 and trying to find leaks and I actually wish it were still raining.
                          sigpic
                          TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                          FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
                            Spent Sunday drying out my e30 and trying to find leaks and I actually wish it were still raining.
                            lol my passenger side is soaked. trunk has water

Comment

Same , need to start garaging it when it rains
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
                                they already have cars with an electric motor powering each wheel. take a look at the sls amg.

we'll be seeing a lot more cars like the p1 and the 918. hybrid, small turbo cars.
                                I'm talking pure electric though. Hybrid is half assed.

Comment

Working...
                                X