This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by illest318i View Post
    First choice was the Navy, I wanted to be MA (Master at arms) which technically is Military police. That was last year, but now I'm interested in Army, and interested in the same MOS. I feel like being MP (Military Police) in the army will give me more experience. The Air Force is a good branch, for the smart people as I say lol, they require high scores on the ASVAB. I gotta improve on my MK (Math Knowledge) and WK (Word Knowledge) to get a high score.
    So do you want to be a cop once you get out of the Military? I recommend trying to get into a field you can use when your out of the military. That's why I was going with IT or intelligence.

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
    Doesn't matter. Any grey market car needs to be put through the ringer before becoming fully Legal. Even a 1973 car would have to go through that despite being "pre-smog". Only cars built before 1963-ish? Are able to be signed over without issue (before import laws were put into effect).

These are the things I'm learning going through the process. It's not an easy or cheap one by any means.
    Commiefornia man... ruining it for car enthusiasts on a daily basis.

Comment

Did you guys see that huge fire in DT LA last night?

The huge L.A. fire that engulfed an apartment tower over an area the size of a city block is being treated as a criminal fire.

Comment

just drove by the cleanup. stay off the 110 north if you're trying to get anywhere on time.

the big sign that spanned all the lanes melted.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, on average how many hours does it take to replace an M42 alternator?

Doesn't seem too crazy but have never done it before.
          I will be replacing mine during finals weeks so I need to give myself a time-window.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

With the right tools, no more than two hours. And that's with a 45-minute pizza and beer break.

IIRC, the alternator is held together by two bolts, and the belt. Loosen the bolts to create slack in the belt, remove the wiring attached to the alternator (this should actually be done first) (but first, remove negative terminal from battery so you don't die or whatever), remove said bolts and prepare new alt. for installation.

You'll likely have to navigate the alternator from both the top and bottom of the car, so do some yoga to limber up those pretty little legs.

Best,
            Ryan Danco

edit: before you take anything apart, make sure to check the current tension in the alternator belt. You are going to want to tighten the alternator down to replicate that slack in the new belt. Also, you should replace the belt with a new unit.
            world renown Harry Potter expert
            sigpic

Comment

Ryan said unit.

I blushed.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Dam that fire is some fucked up shit.
                My brakes dont work on the bronshit. Bought motor and trans mounts but now i gotta wait to put the parts in
                Originally posted by dvck
                I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

So who was driving a bronzit with a black trunk on the 60 West this evening?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    Hey guys, on average how many hours does it take to replace an M42 alternator?

Doesn't seem too crazy but have never done it before.
                    I will be replacing mine during finals weeks so I need to give myself a time-window.
                    Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                    With the right tools, no more than two hours. And that's with a 45-minute pizza and beer break.

IIRC, the alternator is held together by two bolts, and the belt. Loosen the bolts to create slack in the belt, remove the wiring attached to the alternator (this should actually be done first) (but first, remove negative terminal from battery so you don't die or whatever), remove said bolts and prepare new alt. for installation.

You'll likely have to navigate the alternator from both the top and bottom of the car, so do some yoga to limber up those pretty little legs.

Best,
                    Ryan Danco

edit: before you take anything apart, make sure to check the current tension in the alternator belt. You are going to want to tighten the alternator down to replicate that slack in the new belt. Also, you should replace the belt with a new unit.
                    Don't forget to unplug battery

"Hard Work Pays Off"

1991-bmw 325i (R3vvd)
                    1990- 325 (mpowa)(GC)(track)(beast)
                    1988- 528e (daily driven when track car broken)

Comment

Originally posted by turge View Post
                      So do you want to be a cop once you get out of the Military? I recommend trying to get into a field you can use when your out of the military. That's why I was going with IT or intelligence.
                      Yup, that's the plan.
                      IG: @_j.wn

Comment

Might be selling the e34 this Saturday and i have yet to take it for a shake down run. Anyone want to go for a drive this week? I'm currently yobless so my schedule during the day is wide open. lol
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I can probably join you on thursday. sext me
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by illest318i View Post
                            Yup, that's the plan.
                            Cool cool. Go CHP so you can write off our fix it tickets. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                              Anyone want to go for a drive this week?
                              School ends this week, I may be free for a drive if the car works again. Any particular destination in mind?

Currently building a badass coffee table
                              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                I can probably join you on thursday. sext me
                                Will do

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                                School ends this week, I may be free for a drive if the car works again. Any particular destination in mind?
                                Something simple like Malibu. Whens your last day?
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                                My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X