This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

posted in the driveline section, figure it can't hurt to post here:

So recently my master cylinder seemed to be going out. I was having inconsistent clutch disengagement and would have to pump it a few times to get good functionality. The slave cylinder is brand new (febi brand iirc) as of a few months ago.

So I installed a new febi master cylinder and now have some very bizarre pedal pressure issues. Not really sure how to describe this. When cycling the pedal with my hand, lifting it up and then pressing down, 4/5 times it feels normal, normal pressure and disengagement effort, but sometimes I get ZERO pressure and the pedal will literally fall to the floor. I mean no pressure whatsoever, it feels like it's just hanging loose as if it's not bolted to the master at all. I lift the pedal, press again and pressure is normal. Sometimes when it "misses" it'll fall straight to the floor, sometimes it catches halfway and feels like normal pressure from there.

This feels very different from, for example, after installing a new slave that needs to be bled and the pedal is soft and travel is longer than normal.

Is the new master cylinder bad?
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
      Sup people of So-Cal. Back at work after being off for 2 weeks for lower groin hernia surgery. :eeek::eeek::eeek:
      Welcome back!
      ChumpCar and 24 Hours of Lemons racer. Subscribe to YouTube channel with my E30 race build, 1M and 280hp Nissan 240SX track build in progress.
      http://www.revmatch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

So recently my master cylinder seemed to be going out. I was having inconsistent clutch disengagement and would have to pump it a few times to get good functionality. The slave cylinder is brand new (febi brand iirc) as of a few months ago.

So I installed a new febi master cylinder and now have some very bizarre pedal pressure issues. Not really sure how to describe this. When cycling the pedal with my hand, lifting it up and then pressing down, 4/5 times it feels normal, normal pressure and disengagement effort, but sometimes I get ZERO pressure and the pedal will literally fall to the floor. I mean no pressure whatsoever, it feels like it's just hanging loose as if it's not bolted to the master at all. I lift the pedal, press again and pressure is normal. Sometimes when it "misses" it'll fall straight to the floor, sometimes it catches halfway and feels like normal pressure from there.

This feels very different from, for example, after installing a new slave that needs to be bled and the pedal is soft and travel is longer than normal.

Is the new master cylinder bad?
        Have you tried power bleeding it? I find these are very finnicky with normal pedal pumpnig method. Power bleeding solved my weird clutch feel issues.
        ChumpCar and 24 Hours of Lemons racer. Subscribe to YouTube channel with my E30 race build, 1M and 280hp Nissan 240SX track build in progress.
        http://www.revmatch.tv

Comment

Originally posted by Blue55 View Post
          Have you tried power bleeding it? I find these are very finnicky with normal pedal pumpnig method. Power bleeding solved my weird clutch feel issues.
          nope, haven't tried that, but I will. I pedal pumped it when I first installed it and then spent a while pedal pumping/bleeding both MC and slave last night to end up with the same results. I will pickup a new FTE MC (the oem) this afternoon just in case since I have a track day on Saturday.
          Shadetree30

Comment

E30 got jealous of my spending on my daily so I had to buy a repro Alpina dead pedal from Guten... now i just need to stop spending so I can save for some damn Koni's!
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Blue55 View Post
              Welcome back!
              Thanks man.It's been hell.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

I saw a dark gray e30 in santa ana by the 22 the trunk was totally smashed in.
                The guy was there talking to a suv cop. anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Hey, I have this problem too, although you didn't specify when this happens. Mine does this about once or twice a month after the car has been sitting for a couple days. I have to pump the clutch pedal to regain firmness. Other days, it's fine; normal. It can sit for days and not exhibit the problem. It never happens during driving, thankfully, only when the car sits for a while.

I changed the brake master a long time ago but never touched any of the clutch components.

I'm no help to your problem though. Try topping off the fluid, over the fill line. I did that once and somehow it felt better? Could have been unrelated.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                  Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                    Hey, I have this problem too, although you didn't specify when this happens. Mine does this about once or twice a month after the car has been sitting for a couple days. I have to pump the clutch pedal to regain firmness. Other days, it's fine; normal. It can sit for days and not exhibit the problem. It never happens during driving, thankfully, only when the car sits for a while.

I changed the brake master a long time ago but never touched any of the clutch components.

I'm no help to your problem though. Try topping off the fluid, over the fill line. I did that once and somehow it felt better? Could have been unrelated.
                    It happens to me all the time, like I was literally just sitting and pulsing the pedal with my hand and randomly it would drop to the floor with zero resistance, then after I pull it back up and push down again, perfectly normal operation. Sometimes when it misses, it catches halfway through full travel, sometimes it doesnt catch at all and goes to the floor.

The symptoms you're describing just sound like a an old MC going bad, that was nearly identical to what I was experiencing before I replaced mine (which is why I decided to replace it)
                    Shadetree30

Comment

A more effective bleeding may be in order

Currently building a badass coffee table
                      Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

I have a pressure bleeder that is at my buddies garage in Granada Hills. Not sure when I will be able to grab it for you though
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Sounds like a potentially dangerous problem. Must be air in the system or something that's unpressurizing the system. How are the hoses? good condition? nice and tight? was the reservoir kept full during bleeding? are you losing brake fluid?
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I have a pressure bleeder. MC, slave, clutch line are all brand new. Im thinking I need to bleed more. Worst case ill throw another new MC in there that I have on hand. Little worried since I am going to willow springs tomorrow.
                            Shadetree30

Comment

May be a little off on this but maybe the master is leaking into the booster?
                              @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                                May be a little off on this but maybe the master is leaking into the booster?
                                Clutch and brake hydraulics are separate, just share the same reservoir.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X