jdm as fck yo... lolz. looks cool. different

Comment

Sup
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Sup. Rebuilding a diff, reading through r3v & elsewhere for info.

Realoem is letting me down, it doesn't have part numbers for the contents inside the LSD. Super frustrating!
        My Bentley manual sucks too. The only thing it says about a diff is how to replace seals.

I'm on the fence about replacing the front/pinion bearings. They seeem to be in good condition... don't replace what you don't need to, right? But... the diff is out, on the table... might as well? Buy the dial torque gauge tool and measure the resistance of the new bearings? Technically I can replace that pinion seal if I mark the nut and shaft, and reinstall them in exactly the same spot. So I don't mess with the bearings.

Ugh, it's a frustrating decision. I don't want to spend the extra money for either the tool or someone to do it, especially if it doesn't need to be replaced.

I really need two new/replacement large spider gears. But I don't know the part numbers, and nobody except Racing Diffs sells them (at $125+ a piece!).

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

The pinion bearings are usually pretty good unless there has been metal in the fluid for a long time wearing them down. However, you will need to remove the bearings to adjust the pinion position anyways, so why not replace them while you're in there? It's a different story if you don't plan on setting the lash and are just changing the clutches.

BMW doesn't sell the differential internal parts separately, but Porsche does. 944's came with the same ZF 188mm differential assembly, you just need to pay Porsche prices for them. The spider gears PN from Porsche is 94433253500, they retail at $195 each. Racing diffs parts are a pretty good deal all things considered; I usually use their parts in place of worn items just for ease of availability.
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            The pinion bearings are usually pretty good unless there has been metal in the fluid for a long time wearing them down.
            I bought the diff on the condition that the seller had drained and opened the cover to show me inside. He said it made noise, so I wanted to know if he could see damage, or at least see metal in the oil. His judgement was that it looked pretty clean, nothing severe. I later found that the sound was probably coming from the front dust cover that got bent in, and scraped the housing. The clutch pack does need replacing, as there is wear there. So, overall my opinion is that the bearings are good. I can't see the front set but I don't think they're worth removing at this point to inspect them.

BMW doesn't sell the differential internal parts separately, but Porsche does. you just need to pay Porsche prices for them. they retail at $195 each. Racing diffs parts are a pretty good deal all things considered

One vendor, forgot his name, has those Porsche clutches for sale as replacements for these, so I'm not surprised the gears are Porsche parts too. But the clutches kit from that vendor is out of stock. Racing Diffs has a monopoly on this from what I can see. Yeah, that's a good price all things considered.... but I'd be happy with a good used set! It's weird, the big spider gears have pitting, but the small spider gears are fine.

I called your shop and left you a message :)

Comment

Anyone got a connection/ hook-up for powdercoating small-ish parts? I have some a-arm's that need to get coated
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Hey I miss you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                  Hey I miss you guys!
                  Go to the Mid-City gtg at the end of the month
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Anyone have recs for a convertible top installer? Preferably San Fernando Valley or Conejo Valley, but not opposed to going further to get the job done right.

thanks all, merry Christmas

MM

Comment

Hi I havent been on here in years. Cant believe I still own my e30 but I have been tempted to let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by supkev View Post
                        Hi I havent been on here in years. Cant believe I still own my e30 but I have been tempted to let it go.
                        What you got? I just sold my e36 and I’m looking for a new project

Comment

Originally posted by supkev View Post
                          I am also gonna bring back old memories. I haven't logged into r3v in years. What's cracking?!? 😅

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

A few of us are in here!
                            Last edited by strickland; 03-08-2024, 09:33 PM.
                            1989 325is ✨

Comment

I’m looking for a place to host a car meet / cruise in. Hollywood or Studio City. Just need permission from someone with a parking lot. Anyone have a suggestion?
                              1989 325is ✨

Comment

Originally posted by strickland View Post
                                I’m looking for a place to host a car meet / cruise in. Hollywood or Studio City. Just need permission from someone with a parking lot. Anyone have a suggestion?
                                You should come to the Midtown Meet, it's next Friday. Around Venice/La Brea.

Comment

Working...
                                X