This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
    I'm just saying that spark, fuel and injector fire can be checked in about five minutes with trunk kit tools.

You're troubleshooting for no spark+no fuel with DME and CPS.
    so my plugs look like this.

couldn't smell fuel, could get a spark either.
    - 91 318is - let the fun begin

WTB: Bilstein Sports/Koni Sports - IE3/HR Springs

Comment

Fried main relay?
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Wrong plugs... but that won't solve your problem unfortunately. Mike has laid it out right. It's either fuel or spark and Edwin could be on the right track. Check to see if the plugs spark when you crank the engine. If you do then check fuel pressure at the regulator.

Cheers,

Jim
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
          Fried main relay?

I can hear the relay click, and when I remove the main relay I don't get the check engine lamp. I tried to jump the relay as well, 30 and 87 iirc and no changes besides the quick click absence I would have when the relay was installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IronmanE30 View Post
            Wrong plugs... but that won't solve your problem unfortunately. Mike has laid it out right. It's either fuel or spark and Edwin could be on the right track. Check to see if the plugs spark when you crank the engine. If you do then check fuel pressure at the regulator.

Cheers,

Jim

I was talking to mark in PM earlier, I checked for spark and nothing, but I'm also not even getting the engine to turnover. I removed the small hose off the FPR, turned ignition to "ON" checked and there was no fuel. I couldn't smell fuel on the plugs either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the car does not turn over check your main grounds at the battery and on drivers side frame rail. That is as long as you have a good battery that has been verified with load tester.

Cheers,

Jim
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IronmanE30 View Post
                If the car does not turn over check your main grounds at the battery and on drivers side frame rail. That is as long as you have a good battery that has been verified with load tester.

Cheers,

Jim
                Jim, battery was load tested and it was good. they even charged it back up for me. i just tested the battery and its over 12V when car is off and ignition in the on. fusible link is good, grounding strap off battery (trunk) is good. i'll check the driver frame rail tomorrow morning. tested CPS (finally got a working DMM) and it tested at 530 +/-10.
                -Aaron

Comment

If its an m42 car the main ground is actually on the passenger side. Is the rest of car getting power? Check for 12v going to the starter and go from there

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                    If its an m42 car the main ground is actually on the passenger side. Is the rest of car getting power? Check for 12v going to the starter and go from there
                    Nick, rest of the car is getting adequate power. checking starter voltage first thing in the AM, as well as the main ground.
                    -Aaron

Comment

ok, well i'm to the point where I am debating on just taking it to a shop with a little more time, knowledge and equipment to get this fixed. i'm not going to have it running by tomorrow now i am sure, which means i have to pay out of pocket to extend my rental.

anyone in the SD area recommend and specialty shops or even a certain dealer? thanks gents.
                      -Aaron

Comment

Does the starter click once, multiple times or not at all?

The ignition circuit is pretty closed. Isolate!
                        Last edited by mkcman17; 05-27-2014, 08:59 AM.
                        1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                        1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                        1974 2002tii / stock
                        2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
                          Does the starter click once, multiple times or not at all?

The ignition circuit is pretty closed. Isolate!
                          I get 1 click, when i turn the ignition to on and off.
                          I just went down and tested a few electrical components, here is what i found:
                          1) 12V @ main relay point with key in start and without. Continuous.
                          2) 12V @ fuel relay with key in start.
                          3)12.3V @ starter no key inserted.
                          4)12V @ starter with key in start.
                          --- both tests utilizing the big strap on the starter (M42 starter, strap on driver side of the starter) and a viable ground.
                          5) 11.8V @ fuel pump between pins 1/3 key in start.

doing a bit of reading and from what i've read from different inter web sources (bmw sources) it appears my starter needs replacing?
                          Last edited by dickfitzwell; 05-27-2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Yes your starter sounds like its dead. Remove it and have an auto parts store bench test it for confirmation. Replace and go drive ur car!

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                              Yes your starter sounds like its dead. Remove it and have an auto parts store bench test it for confirmation. Replace and go drive ur car!
                              i think thats what i'm going to attempt tonight. I should be able to get it out without removing the IM you think? considering this is my first E30, it's all a first time effort for me.

Comment

What does anybody think about 15" style 29 and how it would look on an 87is? I have a set sitting in the garage and am debating on getting them filled and drilled to fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X