Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few weeks ago I welded on reinforcements to a front subframe I pulled off a junkyard car. I have received it back from powder coating, so now it's time to start gathering a couple other parts before swapping out the subframes.

I should replacement the oil pan gasket; anything else while I'm in there with the subframe off? What does everyone agree on for gasket material down there? Do not use any RTV, correct?

I know my sig says I rebuilt the motor, but that was like 4 years ago and I forgot what I did :P
    Last edited by Chilezen; 07-17-2018, 12:36 AM.

Currently building a badass coffee table
    Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Always used a thin coat of rtv, to keep the gasket in place just in case any areas are prone to leaking, like the rear tab area. I would also suggest any bushings and engine mounts if they are worn. Outside of that, I know you got it covered.

Have fun
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I've had good luck with "The Right Stuff" rtv on all my pans and diff covers. I apply a layer to both sides and try to get everything buttoned up to let it cure. No leaks in my e36 50k+ later, and same with the pan and diff in the e30.

Comment

I use high tack permatex sealer.

RVT around stuff like that gets messy and makes your shit look nasty.

I only use RVT pans and covers that dont use gaskets..
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

My car's got a really annoying squeak/creak coming from somewhere in the interior. It's near the rear shelf area and it's been doing this for like 2 years and I think I'm going insane. My guess is that the noise is coming from the rear window latch (the thing you use to pop the windows out) but I have no idea how to fix that... Anybody got any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Narek View Post
              My car's got a really annoying squeak/creak coming from somewhere in the interior. It's near the rear shelf area and it's been doing this for like 2 years and I think I'm going insane. My guess is that the noise is coming from the rear window latch (the thing you use to pop the windows out) but I have no idea how to fix that... Anybody got any ideas?
              You got pop out windows? I just clean the rubber seal with mcguire's rubber and vinyl cleaner. Maybe it's your rear seat rubbing up against the panel too.

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                You got pop out windows? I just clean the rubber seal with mcguire's rubber and vinyl cleaner. Maybe it's your rear seat rubbing up against the panel too.
                Ok cool, I'll try that out, thanks. I also don't have rear seats since the car has a cage so it can't be that.

Comment

Hmm.....

Comment

So I drove my friend's 1700hp GTR today. I don't think I was ever able to even go more than 3/4ths throttle. It was terrifying.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

vids or it didn't happen. pls.

Comment

I will next time actually.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I used to work at a GTR/EVO shop, and we had multiple customers daily driving their 1000+ hp cars. Those things will recalibrate what you think fast is.

I remember street tuning an 1100hp GTR with my boss, it would break all 4 r888 tires loose at 80mph.
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            So I drove my friend's 1700hp GTR today. I don't think I was ever able to even go more than 3/4ths throttle. It was terrifying.
                            Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                            I used to work at a GTR/EVO shop, and we had multiple customers daily driving their 1000+ hp cars. Those things will recalibrate what you think fast is.

I remember street tuning an 1100hp GTR with my boss, it would break all 4 r888 tires loose at 80mph.

Comment

but why?...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I rode in stock gtr and thought that shit was nuts lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X