This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
    I received an update from the machine shop today. The head is in perfect condition but the cam and rockers are pretty worn out. Would anyone have any interest in a cleaned and resurfaced 885 I head? It's also going to have the valves cleaned, cut, and polished; followed by freshly machined valve seats, custom made valve guides/stems, great condition springs and new seals. Basically a blueprint on the valves as the shop said! All you'd need is a sexy new cam and some billet rockers to make this bad boy hold all the power you desire! (or reuse your current ones)
    Is this the head off your car? If so, what are you replacing it with? How is the top end rebuild progressing?

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

I received an update from the machine shop today. The head is in perfect condition but the cam and rockers are pretty worn out. Would anyone have any interest in a cleaned and resurfaced 885 I head? It's also going to have the valves cleaned, cut, and polished; followed by freshly machined valve seats, custom made valve guides/stems, great condition springs and new seals. Basically a blueprint on the valves as the shop said! All you'd need is a sexy new cam and some billet rockers to make this bad boy hold all the power you desire! (or reuse your current ones)
      Buy a 272 cam and IE HD rockers. its only like $350 and very worth it
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

poop
        cars beep boop

Comment

I'd be interested in it in cleaned and resurfaced condition, was looking for a head anyway
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
            Who does ceramic coating in the Bay Area?
            Detail Addict in Santa Clara offers ceramic pro. So does omega werks in Pleasanton

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by wilholl View Post
              Hmmm.... I have a Euro 2.3L cam tucked away in my garage somewhere.
              Could be interesting.

Now that would be interesting :)

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
              Is this the head off your car? If so, what are you replacing it with? How is the top end rebuild progressing?

Will

Long story short: pulled the head, it's in great shape, had almost no warpage at all. However, the cam and rocker surfaces had tons of wear and imperfections.
              As much as I want to spend $500+ on a cam and rockers, the stars seemed to have aligned a bit and a built stroker m20 became available for a great deal.
              I'd rather buy the built stroker motor from the shop and possibly partially shave and respray the engine bay before swapping it in. I'd rather drop in a healthy recently rebuilt m20 that made significant power over stock than rebuild to basically stock specs + a cam for nearly the same price. Then, part out my current m20 and hopefully recoup some of the money spent.

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
              Buy a 272 cam and IE HD rockers. its only like $350 and very worth it

Meh. I would and was planning to initially, but after hearing some things about the IE camshafts id rather not.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              poop

Like, big ol' stanky poop. The temporary daily 88' Plymouth reliant makes scary noises on sharp turns. But I think the body roll scares my friends 10x more. Love it! Haha.

I'd be interested in it in cleaned and resurfaced condition, was looking for a head anyway

Thanks for the interest and sending me a PM! I'm sure we can work something out after I get it back from the shop.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

I bet you loved the acceleration.

I rode an sv650 last weekend, now I need to sell my mk4 and buy one.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Long story short: pulled the head, it's in great shape, had almost no warpage at all. However, the cam and rocker surfaces had tons of wear and imperfections.
                  As much as I want to spend $500+ on a cam and rockers, the stars seemed to have aligned a bit and a built stroker m20 became available for a great deal.
                  I'd rather buy the built stroker motor from the shop and possibly partially shave and respray the engine bay before swapping it in. I'd rather drop in a healthy recently rebuilt m20 that made significant power over stock than rebuild to basically stock specs + a cam for nearly the same price. Then, part out my current m20 and hopefully recoup some of the money spent.

Ah, got it. Yes, the stroker M20 sounds like the way to go.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                    Ah, got it. Yes, the stroker M20 sounds like the way to go.

Will

I feel the same way! It'll cost about the same, but there are way more benefits with the recently fully rebuilt stroker. It would be dumb not to go through with it.

The only real downside to it is the downtime; as I figure I might as well fix up the engine bay while I have the motor out.

I'm also in a race to register and smog the car before October. So that'll be another motivational push to get it done!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Hey guys,
                      I thought I would stop by and say hello. I just pulled the motor out of my sETA two weekends ago and started a nice refresh and stroker build. I am waiting of a couple of parts in the mail (common theme for the last few months) and with any luck, I will be back on the road this weekend. I have had the car for about 9 years, but when I was young and dumb(er), I broke a rocker arm and the car ended up sitting for a long time in my barn. This is really my first e30 project and I am really enjoying everything besides the bolts on the bellhousing, heh. So yeah, that is a bit of my story! I lurk quite a bit and now that I am about to be back on the road, I look forward to meeting you guys at some events.

Comment

Who does ceramic coating in the Bay Area?
                        West Coast Specialty Coatings in Concord does a few different types of ceramic coating. I had them do my 32V swap manifolds:

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Now that would be interesting :)
                          if i remember right, the euro m20b23 cam is a little hotter on duration and a little cooler on lift. i agree with eric, just go aftermarket.
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                            if i remember right, the euro m20b23 cam is a little hotter on duration and a little cooler on lift. i agree with eric, just go aftermarket.
                            i installed an IE 272 billet cam in an engine i built a few years ago. it's lasted well so far. I will use the same cam on my next engine build.
                            Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

Everyone and their 272's..

I put in IE Long tube headers and a Stromung exhaust this week. R-tartedly loud. So loud. So much drone. Can't wait to get the ITB's tuned and CAT put in so it's drivable again. Probably a center section muffler as well..
                              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

272s pass smog and dont make the car drive like shit under 2,500 rpm

my have long tubes, dual cats and a stromung. no drone here.
                                20160331_180027 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
                                20160331_191613 by Eric Berger, on Flickr
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X