Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, probably not worth the $$$ to rebuild an open diff.

Comment

I just got some 75/90, read that 140 is the way to go if its going to be tracked. Mines not, so I went with the 90 instead. Royal Purple also...

Im about to tackle the diff swap after work with some friends. Wish me luck lol

Any tips would be appreciated
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Any tips would be appreciated
        - if you've got old wheel studs hanging around they can be used as diff studs
        - loctite the half shaft bolts and mark them with a paint pen
        - dont drop it on your face
        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          - if you've got old wheel studs hanging around they can be used as diff studs
          - loctite the half shaft bolts and mark them with a paint pen
          - dont drop it on your face
          all good points! lol
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            all good points! lol
            I like to use a car jack to raise/lower it. Done correctly it's a 1-person job (but that's only worked out for me once...)
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Any of you guys know anything about Suzuki Samurais? I picked one up this weekend and I'm looking for a good forum where I can find some info and figure out what I should do with it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                Also, probably not worth the $$$ to rebuild an open diff.

This is a valid point.

I don’t drift or track my car, why would I care about lsd? For someone like me that only cruises w the occasional backroad , will I really notice a difference between open and LSD?

Forgive my ignorance. I’ve only ever driven my e30 .

Does A LSD make run of the mill backroad driving more enjoyable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Originally posted by YosemiteSam View Post
                  Any of you guys know anything about Suzuki Samurais? I picked one up this weekend and I'm looking for a good forum where I can find some info and figure out what I should do with it.

Pics? I love the hardtop versions of these. I think there are a couple forums zukiworld or something is a big one. What are your plans?

Comment

Not sure if this is going to work, but here is my attempt to post some pictures. Never tried this by hosting them on google photos before.

Pre wash:

Post wash:

Edit: Looks like that didn't work. Where do you guys host images now? I haven't tried since photobucket still worked.
                    Last edited by YosemiteSam; 04-09-2019, 12:12 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by mc625569 View Post
                        This is a valid point.

I don’t drift or track my car, why would I care about lsd? For someone like me that only cruises w the occasional backroad , will I really notice a difference between open and LSD?

Forgive my ignorance. I’ve only ever driven my e30 .

Does A LSD make run of the mill backroad driving more enjoyable ?
                        In my opinion, yes, an LSD makes a noticeable difference in certain circumstances and I'll give you two examples.
                        1) I was parked on a hill in my car with an open diff and one tire was on wet grass. The open diff let the wheel in the grass bury itself in mud while the wheel on pavement didn't get any power. An LSD would have allowed the car to drive right off.
                        2) I was on the freeway in the rain stuck in a lane not moving. I tried to punch it to merge into an opening in a lane that was moving. One wheel spun, causing the car to spin a little before I could correct it. An LSD would have applied the power more evenly to both wheels, likely eliminating the one-tire-fire which caused the car to rotate.

An LSD makes the power delivery more predictable, instead of letting one wheel spin and suddenly throwing off the car's balance. So just cruising around town? No difference. Hit a slick spot with one tire on a curve under throttle? You're less likely to spin.
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Ok, so here's some pics that work.

Pre-wash:

Post-wash:

As far as plans for it go, nothing too crazy. The tires are ancient and I can't get anything decent in this size so I'll probably lift it just enough to fit a more common size of tire and then go have some fun in Hollister.
                          sigpic

Comment

Open diff prevents oversteer and causes understeer which automakers feel is safer ...

Diff was installed successfully last night with the help of two friends, mostly supervising but insanely helpful in placing the pumpkin into place.

I think this diff is from a Z3M, but not 100% sure. The barcode on it was dirty and partially torn so I couldnt get the full part number from it. Definitely not an E30 diff though
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

that samurai is sick! HMU when you go to hollister, friends and I are itching to go wheeling
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Sick Sammy, I believe a popular lift is from Old Man Emu (OME). Check em out.

Comment

Working...
                                X