• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
    Hardly...
    I know, we did it 3 times essentially.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Does anyone have 4 boxes I can have to ship my set of wheels? PM me please, need em asap.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
      Originally posted by DTM190
      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        Did I ever mention that changing a starter in an E36 is a MAJOR PITA???
        Try on a Euro S50 inside an E30 engine bay!

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
        Does anyone have 4 boxes I can have to ship my set of wheels? PM me please, need em asap.

Go to any Tire store, I've had an endless supply of wheel boxes by a local tire shop... Probably sold 20 sets of wheels in the last few years and they have never had a problem with me grabbing boxes out of the back.
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Yeah I've called the local places with no luck lol.... I'm gonna keep trying on monday and stuff... If I have to find random other boxes I will, but they hadn't sold any wheels so they couldn't give up boxes.

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Hardly...
            Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
            I know, we did it 3 times essentially.
            PLEASE bestow the knowledge upon me??? It took me six hours (with breaks, lunch, goof-off etc), I took the intake manifold all the way off!!

I just can't see how it would come out from the bottom. I accessed the bolts from the bottom w/ giant extensions, but how the crap would you ever be able to get the starter loose from the trans, pull it out, and cram another one in solely from underneath?? there isn't room, and besides, how would you ever get leverage on the starter to break it loose from the bottom? The dang starter pretty much sits right on top of the bellhousing!! That's the opposite side from the bottom!

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
            Do you have a buyer for your wheels?

Comment

PLEASE bestow the knowledge upon me??? It took me six hours (with breaks, lunch, goof-off etc), I took the intake manifold all the way off!!

I just can't see how it would come out from the bottom. I accessed the bolts from the bottom w/ giant extensions, but how the crap would you ever be able to get the starter loose from the trans, pull it out, and cram another one in solely from underneath?? there isn't room, and besides, how would you ever get leverage on the starter to break it loose from the bottom? The dang starter pretty much sits right on top of the bellhousing!! That's the opposite side from the bottom!
              DIRECTLY from the Bentley: "Starter removal and replacement, 6cyl cars with manual transmissions"

1. disconnect negative battery cable
              2. raise vehicle
              3. remove x brace if so equipped
              4. remove cover from fuel filter/fuel lines as necessary, detach fuel lines and harness connectors from retaining brackets as necessary
              5. disconnect wiring from starter
              6. loosen and remove bolts and nuts fastening starter to transmission bellhousing and/or engine block. remove starter support bracket
              7. remove starter from below
              8. check starter pinion gear and flywheel teeth for damage
              9. installation is reverse of removal

Moral of the story? Buy a Bentley manual for your car before wasting 6 hours on a 1hr job.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

it's more than a one hour job if you don't have a lift, but definitely not 6.

Comment

it's more than a one hour job if you don't have a lift, but definitely not 6.
                  Sure, add half an hour to 45 mins for jackstand on/off.

First thing I'm doing when I get my own place: Kegerator and Lift.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                    Sure, add half an hour to 45 mins for jackstand on/off.

First thing I'm doing when I get my own place: Kegerator and Lift.
                    and another 30 min or so simply because you work slower when crammed under a car.

Comment

That is true.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I've also found if you lower the transmission support the extent the bolts loosten without coming off it gives a little easier access to getting an arm+starter out/in.

Sorry dude that sounds like a pain. My next house (we are looking) WILL have a lift installed. It is a requirement. (after we buy it of course, unless I find an amazing house)

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

ok, if we are all done making fun of me now, in my defense, I wanted to take it out from under the car from the get-go, but I guess I didn't see how I would get it from the bottom after some crawling/looking, it looked way too crammed.

Comment

Yeah, Sam, pending

Comment

ok, if we are all done making fun of me now, in my defense, I wanted to take it out from under the car from the get-go, but I guess I didn't see how I would get it from the bottom after some crawling/looking, it looked way too crammed.
                              At least you were changing the starter and not pulling the transmission to replace a self adjusting pressure plate because you were too dumb to know the difference....

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeytaco View Post
                                At least you were changing the starter and not pulling the transmission to replace a self adjusting pressure plate because you were too dumb to know the difference....
                                Or pulling the transmission three times because you blew up a clutch slave cylinder and then killed the next TWO of them because neither of us knew they only worked in one specific orientation.

I mean, what? Who'd do that?
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X