This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat time > mods

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
    Originally posted by DTM190
    "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

I would start with another base, rather than an auto E36 318. It is SUPER easy to find any old E36 5-speed, and also for dirt cheap.

Comment

If you're already thinking of motor and trans swap, it'll cost very similar to just doing it to an e30... The e30 will be lighter and probably more fun to drive hard, especially since it's not totally your car.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
        Originally posted by DTM190
        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
          I would start with another base, rather than an auto E36 318. It is SUPER easy to find any old E36 5-speed, and also for dirt cheap.
          I would have to agree. Just convince them to sell the 318 and find a 328 5-speed. E36's are handed out like candy at a parade.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            I would have to agree. Just convince them to sell the 318 and find a 328 5-speed. E36's are handed out like candy at a parade.
            E30s are handed out like bibles on the sixteenth street mall. You don't have to wait for the parade to come. ;)

E30s are much cheaper to mod, maintain, and fix (except for that rear suspension issue).

I'd get a 1991 318iS in decent shape, make sure the suspension and brakes are fresh, get some good tires, and drive the fuck out of it.

Comment

My perspective:

E30s are great cars, super cheap, and super easy to maintain/mod. Their rear suspension (ASTzzzzzz) isn't an issue for 99.99999% of drivers, so don't worry about that. Their issue is balance and putting power down within stock bodywork. That, and not being a pile of donkey shit 25 years later.

E36s.....have horrendous reliability issues. They're more fun to drive more of the time compared to an E30 (I've had both here), but you pay for it with stupid little shit breaking all the damn time. They are immensely fast, and insanely fun. People who rag on them for not having the feedback of an E30 haven't driven a properly modded E36. Parts availability is better than for the E30s, and at less cost. Higher quality too (no eurostop bullshit).

Which car YOU should choose comes down to your own preferences. For most drivers, either platform will suit you well for your application-- just don't cheap out and buy garbage parts. FWIW, I sold my E30 to fund the E36 street/track car.

As far as M52 vs S50, do it once, do it right, go S50 from the start. Unless you plan on keeping the M52 stock, an M52 with all bolt ons and S50 cams will make the same power as an S50, significantly less torque (30 ft-lbs less in the midrange), and cost more money than if you had just bought an S50. Not the smart way to go IF the car you bought didn't come with either motor from the factory. There's some argument to which motor is better for boost, but you'd have to throw shittons of boost for it to become an issue, and isn't a criteria for you afaik.

My advice would be to 5spd swap the 318 and rock the shit out of that. My buddy has a non-vanos 325is track car (e36) and is faster than guys with bolt on M3s, both e36 and e46. Seat time > mods, Quality suspension (TCK/GC Koni, AST, JRZ, Moton) and tires >>>>>>>>> other mods.

Also, it will cost exactly the same amount of money to track prep the interior of either car, unless you go r3v style and cheap out on things you shouldn't cheap out on. Do it right the first time for whatever you are planning on using the car for.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

David, you do NOT have a twin screw project....

And also, mister 325ix, if you want a track car, and have some money, get an E36 M3, because its already fast and handles well, and its the cheapest M3 you can get. If the money is tight, pick up a late model E30 of any type as long as it's manual, and get three things: suspension, wheels, tires, and BAM! instant track car.

Comment

Yes, actually, yes I do, though it's looking more like single/twin turbos instead. If the M3 would stop breaking I'd have the parts by now.

And also, mister 325ix, if you want a track car, and have some money, get an E36 M3, because its already fast and handles well, and its the cheapest M3 you can get. If the money is tight, pick up a late model E30 of any type as long as it's manual, and get three things: suspension, wheels, tires, and BAM! instant track car.
                  ^ that's true. Good E36 M3s can be found for decent money.
                  Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 07-19-2010, 07:46 AM.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

What he said.
                    89 325i (Sold)
                    95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                    2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

I already have a car. I have an '88 325ix, I just couldn't bare to sell it for a rwd e30. Parts are so much more expensive for the ix and we got the e36 for 1k with some bodydamage, nice style 5's a swapped in, very nice leather interior, and some stereo stuff which we will prolly sell. I can't sell either of them for a different car so I'm just trying to figure out which would be a better car to put my money into. At this moment I'm thinking the ix, and some of the money I sink will be on autox and eventually time with an instructor at a BMW driving school. You have to be 18 afaik.

Comment

Here's what you do. Keep iX, sell off style 5s (skinny and heavy), stereo, etc, swap in 5spd, buy TCK coilovers, buy proper wheels and tires, then rock it on track. Or, sell E36 because body damage is a bitch and a half to deal with, buy e36 325is or e30 318is, and win.

The smartest way to mod your car is not what you want to hear.
                        -Maintenance
                        -Wider and Stickier Tires
                        -Driver schools

anything else will just screw with your learning curve. Keep your car stock.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                          Here's what you do. Keep iX, sell off style 5s (skinny and heavy), stereo, etc, swap in 5spd, buy TCK coilovers, buy proper wheels and tires, then rock it on track. Or, sell E36 because body damage is a bitch and a half to deal with, buy e36 325is or e30 318is, and win.

-Maintenance
                          -Driver schools

Thats what I was thinking, somewere along those lines. The only real body damage on the e36 is in the rear quarter panel and if I'm going to track it I don't mind to much. It needs the nose panel, a headlight, a blinker and a fender. I have found most of it all very cheap. So I guess that's what I'll plan on doing and later on down the road see about a bigger engine in the e36 once I have done some more driving schools and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post

-Maintenance
                            -Driver schools

Very well said. Too many people don't understand this (not directing this to anyone). That is why I spent the first year of owning my E30 doing every maintenance thing imaginable. The car drives like a beast now and I really don't have any big mods, just keeping it maintained so I can drive it like I do. Save your money and just keep the cars in good condition. Just pick a car and drive it like you mean it (safely). You can learn really well on both if you ditch the auto in the E36. Then later you can pick a car to do big mods to.

I learned on a bare bones 93 Nissan Sentra SE. 2300 lbs, no abs, no PS, just pure 5-speed fun. The car doesn't have to be quick to learn how to drive and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                              Very well said. Too many people don't understand this (not directing this to anyone). That is why I spent the first year of owning my E30 doing every maintenance thing imaginable. The car drives like a beast now and I really don't have any big mods, just keeping it maintained so I can drive it like I do. Save your money and just keep the cars in good condition. Just pick a car and drive it like you mean it (safely). You can learn really well on both if you ditch the auto in the E36. Then later you can pick a car to do big mods to.

I learned on a bare bones 93 Nissan Sentra SE. 2300 lbs, no abs, no PS, just pure 5-speed fun. The car doesn't have to be quick to learn how to drive and have fun.
                              Yup. Learned on a 95 Subaru Legacy with 90awhp (at sea level) of FURY. I got odd looks taking that to the BMW Club driving school and autocrosses, but that car surprised the hell out of everyone due to its griptions despite the shit tires.

Slow cars teach you how to maintain momentum. Power is just power, any fool can put their foot down to go moar fasterz.

Come to think of it, since the M3's broken I should take the Scoob out to some events again. Autocross grocery getter of DOOM
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I'm thinking of doing a HPR track day. You should bring it there! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X