Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
    I did. It sucked.
    Well there ya go!
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

Comment

my car sounded better, smelled better, and was noticeably quicker with a cat and catback.

straightpiping it made it suck at everything. Plus, no cat meant the blue oil cloud was much more noticeable.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

David, I believe he is asking about simply eliminating the muffler, and keeping the cat in. That won't affect smell at all, and certainly won't be as loud.

And I have had both cat and straight pipe (no muffler), and no cat and only a muffler, and I don't dare do 100% straight pipe, I would get arrested.

Anyway, imo, the M20 sounds its best with just a cat and no muffler. It isn't nearly as loud as with no cat and a (loud) muffler, and has a pretty quiet idle, but will scream when you get on it. It's also super easy to simply pull your old rusty muffler right off the pipes, and weld on two lengths of pipe in its place to make the exhaust exit the car, and it looks nearly factory, and sounds good, for an M20 that is.

Comment

Ahh. I thought he meant header back straight pipes.

Deleting the muffler is pretty damn raspy though, and louuuud.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

^^ clearly you haven't been introduced to my E30 in its current state then.

100% straight pipe would just be way too loud. My setup is almost too loud, and just a muffler delete is much quieter than mine, and not too raspy, depending on what you compare it to. Compared to a chevy small block, it's raspy. Compared to any Honda with fart cannon, it will sound like a muscle car. My E30 back when I bought it w/ an M42 and nothing but pipe and a muffler (from the PO), now THAT was raspy. In fact so much so that I was too embarrassed to get on it hard until I put in a factory exhaust system.

Comment

Speaking of loud M20s....

What I would do to have this...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I think I may remove my muffler. It's pretty rusty anyways.

Comment

I think I may just try to make something that will allow me to either put the muffler on or the Straight pipes. So my dad doesnt have a total freak out.
                  1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
                  BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                    fantastic! :D
                    The E30 is going to get a lot of paint love this week! Now what to do about that leaky boat anchor.......

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Boss's Twin Turbo V12 AMG S65 that has been breathed on by RennTech:

No RPM pickup, but that peak where the cursor is, was about 3700 rpm... = 700 ft/lbs of torque, at the wheels. It's an automatic as well, figuring a conservative 18% driveline loss that would be 640hp/850tq at the crank. It's a missile.
                      Chris
                      97 M3
                      01 325
                      Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

New wheels. They are going to be powder coated gloss black.

JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

That e30 sounds good, iirc its a 3.1 stroker with itbs full exhaust, head work etc.

Nice Alex, those m3 contour reps in 4x100? Where did you find those
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Throwing Star Reps. 15x6.5" 16lbs. Levent. I'm confident they will perform better than my 17"s that weight 17lbs.
                            JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I love the wheels! But I have never been a fan of black wheels... they just disappear :(

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I know, but I'm going to tint, euro trim, and plate filler. I'm hoping gloss will accentuate the shape.
                                JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Working...
                                X