PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
    Always wanted to be a tech. The way things worked out I became a Parts Manager. Looking back, i'm glad it went the way it went because I get to talk cars all day, never turn a wrench, and when i'm off work - that's all I want to do!

Funny when I was growing up I always wanted my hobby to be my job. Now I understand, that it can really work against you!
    I really enjoy selling parts (wholesale). Same reason, I get to talk cars all day, see some cool projects/vehicles and also get the ability to borrow lifts/shop equipment if I need to.
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

But bro, there's a DIY on the intermet.

- Doesn't seem too hard.
      - "Know it all" E30 "Enthusiast" - 84 318i w/ a blown head gasket but has plans of going 24V, therefore any/all maintenance is null and void. Daily Driver. lol

For everyone bitching about shop costs/job costs - there is another person who values it.
      For me its a time constraint these days. Dont have time to ev3n change my oil. My m3 needs a flywheels, and clutch etc. Debating having a shop do it. Railroad keeps me busy 7 days a week, and 90 hours a week.

I have small parts shipped to my hotel, but very simple stuff. I can appreciate a shop, when I need one. But I still have a problem with shops

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        His name is "obrien" and it sold for full asking price.

Damn, my little sister wants a racecar lol

Comment

Funny when I was growing up I always wanted my hobby to be my job. Now I understand, that it can really work against you!

This is what I always tell myself. I'll never be a tech. I worked at aamco trans in shoreline, and my car ended up sitting sadly neglected cause I was handling cars all day, te last thing I wanted to do was even look at my car.

sigpic

Comment

Always wanted to be a tech. The way things worked out I became a Parts Manager. Looking back, i'm glad it went the way it went because I get to talk cars all day, never turn a wrench, and when i'm off work!

I agree with this, when I moved to the area I was offered a variety of service writing jobs, tech jobs. In the end I took a well paying position as an estimator at a large local shop and now I get great pay and my evenings and weekends off. Working on my own projects.
            Derek-

Comment

Yes. My only gripe is that i'm here till 6pm all week. Getting up to Bothell, it ends up being around 7pm ish. Weekends off and work with a small crew of good people.
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Just moved to Bothell and about to get Cable/Internet..

Almost thinking about JUST doing internet and going the Netflix/Hulu/etc. route. Anyone got tips on the best/reasonably priced internet service out here? Is Comcast my only and best option?
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Frontier is probably the best. But you'll need a different router 100%. The one they give is pretty trash.

I'd you go Comcast don't expect 720/1080p internet video. And don't expect a constant clear connection.
                  1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                  willschnitz

Comment

Just moved to Bothell and about to get Cable/Internet..

Almost thinking about JUST doing internet and going the Netflix/Hulu/etc. route. Anyone got tips on the best/reasonably priced internet service out here? Is Comcast my only and best option?
                    you can probably get frontier and maybe century link. frontier has a service location check thing on their website that will tell you if it's available.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      Frontier is probably the best. But you'll need a different router 100%. The one they give is pretty trash.

I'd you go Comcast don't expect 720/1080p internet video. And don't expect a constant clear connection.
                      VPN is your best friend.

Kid, either one will be fine, but also look into a VPN so anything like Youtube or Netflix get's filtered & you don't get throttled.

Plus the reason to have a VPN is helpful anyways...
                      To help you pick the best VPN, we asked dozens of VPNs to detail their logging practices, how they handle torrent users, and more.
                      Originally posted by James Crivellone
                      1) The internet is NOT serious business.

Comment

Originally posted by HarukoE30 View Post
                        VPN is your best friend.

Kid, either one will be fine, but also look into a VPN so anything like Youtube or Netflix get's filtered & you don't get throttled.

Plus the reason to have a VPN is helpful anyways...
                        http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-se...dition-140315/
                        I agree on the VPN, Even easier if your work has a VPN service that you can use the same user and password and use it at home.

I mainly mean that Comcast is very, very, bad at guaranteeing speed. When I had Comcast it would regularly go down, and when you would call them you would get put in a circle of different reps, and never see a tech even if they said so. They would always blame us, when it was their tech that set up the system, that wasn't touched by anyone but him.
                        willschnitz

Comment

I agree on the VPN, Even easier if your work has a VPN service that you can use the same user and password and use it at home.

I mainly mean that Comcast is very, very, bad at guaranteeing speed. When I had Comcast it would regularly go down, and when you would call them you would get put in a circle of different reps, and never see a tech even if they said so. They would always blame us, when it was their tech that set up the system, that wasn't touched by anyone but him.
                          The "tech" has little to 0 networking experience. They only offer you 1 device which functions as modem/router/TV.. The tech is only trained to plug it in. Problem is once you start adding other switches to the network without setting it up yourself you will get lots of weird issues and this starts the old run around with tech support.

If you opt to use a different router than the one provided you will not be able to get your FIOS TV. So in order to work around that you have to use there router as a modem and plug in your own router and configure them both properly

Comcast is the worst option but sometimes the only option. Frontier has better prices/speeds if available get it because you will not share your bandwidth with your neighbors. Streaming is the future, get Amazon Prime and watch shit on that and get free shipping

Comment

So yeah, looks like Frontier is available in my area. My boss says it sucks but he doesn't know shit about the intermet. Lol.

Do you have to pay for VPN services? I no stranger to torrent sites and would like to have that piece of mind. Getting excited about setting all my entertainment shit up.
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

You have to pay for good ones most of the time. That won't require a lot of work to set up and do everything automatically. There are some decent free options out there though.
                              willschnitz

Comment

You have to pay for good ones most of the time. That won't require a lot of work to set up and do everything automatically. There are some decent free options out there though.
                                Also bouncing off of some eastern european country without copyright laws will seriously slow down your download speed. Either a local VPN or VM is the best way imo

Comment

Working...
                                X