No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a spare windshield sitting around?

I rolled my car on Sunday and broke the windshield... Spun out on an oily part of the road. I'm fine and I drove it home, it landed on its wheels at the bottom of a 9ft deep hole next to the road. As far as I can tell the suspension and drivetrain is fine, bent the roof forward of the b pillars and the windshield frame is tweaked, but it drives straight so I'm gonna keep driving it. Wasn't even scratched anywhere. Dented the front fenders and hood but Ive bumped the dents out of teh fenders now.
    -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
    08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
    318iS, slow build/garage queen...
    '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Fuck, man, I'm real sorry to hear that. I've got a cracked one you can have for free in PDX. Don't know if that helps your cause, though.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Der I think you may be the luckiest man ever. Sorry to hear about the car. I hope that you remain okay.
        Hank Ahrens
        1984 Alpine Coupe
        1978 911sc

Comment

DER hit some ise lol

glad youre safe though.

Went to replace trunk seal today on my coupe, but I am deciding to repaint the trunk areas that need it before I glue the new seal on. Picking up color match paint and POR15 tomorrow. repairing the IS spoiler too, really stoked to see the results!!

Comment

Anyone have any experience with getrag 260's being stuck in gear? Recently put the getrag 260 on the s52 and started it on accident when in gear and now it's stuck in 2nd or 4th gear (I believe).

-Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
              Anyone have any experience with getrag 260's being stuck in gear? Recently put the getrag 260 on the s52 and started it on accident when in gear and now it's stuck in 2nd or 4th gear (I believe).

Starting it in gear won't have anything to do with it. If it's stuck in gear, the internal selector rod is jammed. Sorry to say, but time to drop it. Do all your hydraulics work as they should?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                Starting it in gear won't have anything to do with it. If it's stuck in gear, the internal selector rod is jammed. Sorry to say, but time to drop it. Do all your hydraulics work as they should?
                Yup, just bled the system and everything operates as normal. What has to be done now??
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

It happens to most manual transmissions. At least all that I have worked with.

When I was 16, it used to happen all the time to the 3 speed in my '67 Nova when I switched the column shift to a floor shifter. I still have a large scar on my arm from when it burned myself on the exhaust one night while I was trying to unjam the shift forks..

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I should also mention that it's an early G260, with late mode provisions...I rethreaded the bolt in from the early model carrier and have found that doing that may interfere with shifting....

I'll report back
                    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

Brad, it might just be because it is so cold outside. My g260 in my coupe is very hard to select a gear when cold, I need to be rolling or select third then go into other gears. the colder it is, the worse the problem.

my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                        Brad, it might just be because it is so cold outside. My g260 in my coupe is very hard to select a gear when cold, I need to be rolling or select third then go into other gears. the colder it is, the worse the problem.

my 2 cents
                        I know what you mean, and have experienced that too. But unfortunately, my car has been hibernating in a heated garage, so that one can be ruled out :(
                        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

Sounds like you'll need to remove and replace it with a known good unit, or have yours rebuilt. Unless something external is preventing it from shifting as it should, you'll need to remove the trans.

Comment

Fuck, man, I'm real sorry to hear that. I've got a cracked one you can have for free in PDX. Don't know if that helps your cause, though.
                            Thanks for the offer, PDX is a little far.
                            Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                            Der I think you may be the luckiest man ever. Sorry to hear about the car. I hope that you remain okay.
                            Possibly! If only the road had been flat there and not that hole it would have been better!
                            Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                            DER hit some ise lol

glad you're safe though.
                            It was like 40 degrees and pissing rain sideways. Pretty sure it wasn't ice, the road had sand on it and there was a bunch of oil in the ditch

Was going around this corner on an on ramp and it ripped sideways and went hard over full lock and it kept spinning and ended up down here after rolling down the hill in slow motion. All the floormats and loose change in the car hit the side glass and the roof as it went around really slow. (just like in "close encounters of a third kind") Ended up here.

Tow truck broke this on the way out of the hole, came out really easy. There is literally not a scratch on the car from the B pillars back, not a dent, nothing, besides the broken valance.

Popped this out pretty well, if I put a skim coat of body filler on it and painted it it would be gone. (this is a before pic)

Trick with the light to make this stand out more. Popped this out pretty decently also, now it just looks "wavy" not "dented"

Biggest concern is the roof, the passenger a piller is pushed down 1/2 inch or so and over towards the driver's side also THe sunroof still works, oddly enough.

You can sorta see how forward of the b pillar the roof slopes down more than it should:(

Hood got away with this dent, obviously where I can't hit it out because of the inner part

When I track down another windshield I'll pull this one and pull on the a pillar to try to make the windshield hole square again. ALso need to reshim the driver's door a little, shuts kinda weird now, I don't get how the passenger window frame is tweaked and the door shuts fine
                            Eventually I'll get another roof and put it on this shell or get another clean shell and swap shells It needs to survive another few months as my daily before I can get something else to daily Car still drives straight and everything still works so I'll keep driving it.
                            Car is beaten, but not dead.
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Not sure if it is possible, but I remember year before last I was helping replace a clutch in an e36 (up until 2AM between 2 12 hour Chumpcar races in Spokane), and almost dropped the clutch master (or maybe slave?) cylinder rod which presses against the clutch fork lever down into the transmission housing. If that happened then I assume pressing the clutch in would have no effect? Or at least I think that is how the system works, I haven't looked too closely.

Daniel
                              1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                              2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Dang DER, sounds like a scary ride, glad you are ok! Looking at my M3 closely I think it must have had a similar accident in its lifetime. It has a different colored roof section welded on, and hood and both fenders are DOT-R panels.

Daniel
                                1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
                                2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X